My "Ulti-Mac" gets bigger. - Storage

This is a discussion on My "Ulti-Mac" gets bigger. - Storage ; Over the last many years I have built this bizzarre machine from bits and pieces. This was my configuration last week ------------------------------------------------------- 42" tall Netframe Server case PowerMac 9500*motherboard Newer Technologies G4-400 576 MB RAM MacOS 9.2.2 PCI cards Initio ...

  1. My "Ulti-Mac" gets bigger.

    Over the last many years I have built this bizzarre machine from bits
    and pieces.

    This was my configuration last week

    42" tall Netframe Server case
    PowerMac 9500*motherboard
    Newer Technologies G4-400
    576 MB RAM
    MacOS 9.2.2

    PCI cards
    Initio Miles-2 Ultra-2-Wide
    SIIG 5-port USB card
    Voodoo5 5500 running 20" Sun Multisync (Sony)
    ATI Mac 64 running Samsung 17"

    SCSI bus 0 (5 MB/Sec)
    Microtec E6 scanner

    SCSI bus 1 (10 MB/Sec)
    Toshiba 2X DVD drive
    Toshiba 2X DVD drive
    Toshiba 32X CD-rom
    Toshiba 12X CD-rom
    Yamaha 2100S 16x CDRW
    Zip 100

    SCSI bus 2 (Initio Miles-2) (80 MB/Sec)
    18 GB IBM Ultrastar, 68-pin LVD, 10,000 RPM DRHS-18D
    18 GB IBM Ultrastar, 68-pin LVD, 10,000 RPM DRHS-18D
    18 GB IBM Ultrastar, 68-pin LVD, 10,000 RPM DRVS-18D
    18 GB IBM Ultrastar, 68-pin LVD, 10,000 RPM DRVS-18D
    9 GB IBM Ultrastar, 68-pin LVD, 10,000 RPM DNES

    Well after some shrewd purchases on eBay and a handy surplus computer
    store nearby, my storage has expanded.

    The additions to my SCSI bus are

    SCSI bus 3 (ATTO - UL2D) (80 MB/Sec)
    Nothing .....yet

    SCSI bus 4 (ATTO - UL2D) (80 MB/Sec)
    50GB Seagate Barracuda ST150176LC
    50GB Seagate Barracuda ST150176LC
    50GB Seagate Barracuda ST150176LC
    36GB IBM Ultrastar, DRHS-36D
    36GB IBM Ultrastar, DRHS-36D
    36GB IBM Ultrastar, DRHS-36D
    18GB IBM Ultrastar, DGHS-18D

    The new drives are running in an external Compaq Proliant Series 4100
    rack mount drive array.
    It works perfectly.
    It is only an Ultra-Wide array, but that is fine with me.
    It sits on the floor next to the tower until I mount it somewhere.

    Total storage space is now at 348 GB of high speed smooth SCSI.
    All running on a 8 year old Mac.

    I plan on buying a G5 this year, and this machine will become a file
    and print server.

    No questions this time, I just thought I would post an update about my
    ever growing beast.

    If you see one of those Compaq Proliant Series 4100 rack mount drive
    arrays, don't assume they are junk.
    As far as my Mac is concerned it is just a stack of drives.

    Somehow I don't think Compaq would be amused.

  2. Re: My "Ulti-Mac" gets bigger.

    Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

    > I plan on buying a G5 this year, and this machine will become a file
    > and print server.

    Ah, finally a new Mac arrived to match your beast beauty-wise? :-/

    > No questions this time, I just thought I would post an update about my
    > ever growing beast.

    Interesting, thanks.

    --
    madiba