Mirroring software - Storage

This is a discussion on Mirroring software - Storage ; After a scare over a hard disk failure in my wife's iMac I bought another new 80gig drive. The iMac is now fixed and I have a spare drive. If I install it in my twin1GHZ G4 what software do ...

  1. Mirroring software

    After a scare over a hard disk failure in my wife's iMac I bought
    another new 80gig drive. The iMac is now fixed and I have a spare drive.
    If I install it in my twin1GHZ G4 what software do I need to set up a
    mirroring system with my present drive?

    David

  2. Re: Mirroring software

    In article ,
    David Steward wrote:

    > After a scare over a hard disk failure in my wife's iMac I bought
    > another new 80gig drive. The iMac is now fixed and I have a spare drive.
    > If I install it in my twin1GHZ G4 what software do I need to set up a
    > mirroring system with my present drive?
    >
    > David

    Softraid would work fine.
    Mind you there is a slight speed hit from mirroring.

    I used to use a striped array with softraid, but even though I am not
    doing that anymore, I still use their harddrive drivers.
    Much better performance than apple's drivers.

  3. Re: Mirroring software

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 06:43:01 GMT,
    Ernie Leimkuhler (ernie@stagesmith.com) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > David Steward wrote:
    >
    >> After a scare over a hard disk failure in my wife's iMac I bought
    >> another new 80gig drive. The iMac is now fixed and I have a spare drive.
    >> If I install it in my twin1GHZ G4 what software do I need to set up a
    >> mirroring system with my present drive?
    >>
    >> David

    > Softraid would work fine.
    > Mind you there is a slight speed hit from mirroring.
    >
    > I used to use a striped array with softraid, but even though I am not
    > doing that anymore, I still use their harddrive drivers.
    > Much better performance than apple's drivers.

    You cannot boot from a RAID1 mirror created using Softraid's drivers.
    You can boot from a RAID1 mirror made using Apple's drivers. So for
    mirroring, Apple's drivers are of greater utility than Softraid's.

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Jonny Wilko - my kind of hero!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread