Installing ATA drives in early B & W G3 ( simple question andlong story) - Storage

This is a discussion on Installing ATA drives in early B & W G3 ( simple question andlong story) - Storage ; The question: Is there a problem with the onboard ATA controller on early B&W (before the carrier allowed for multiple drives) G3's? The story: My original SCSI drive toasted and I replaced it with a 27GB Maxtor ATA drive. It ...

  1. Installing ATA drives in early B & W G3 ( simple question andlong story)

    The question:

    Is there a problem with the onboard ATA controller on early B&W (before the
    carrier allowed for multiple drives) G3's?

    The story:

    My original SCSI drive toasted and I replaced it with a 27GB Maxtor ATA
    drive. It worked great

    Then the drive in the kids imac started to sound and behave funny. I took my
    27 GB maxtor and put it in the imac and I bought a 80 GB Western Digital
    drive for the G3.

    I had an awful time getting OS X (or 9) to load onto it. Sometimes the
    Install wouldn't work and other times it would display "garbage" on the big
    apple on grey background screen. I figured that the drive had problems. In
    fact, the only way I could get it going was to set the WD drive as a slave
    with the "about to die" iMac drive as the Master. (This is not a system
    which requires the OS be installed in the 1st 8 GB, but I tried that anyway
    without success). Since my G3 doesn't have the revised drive carrier, well,
    let's just say, it didn't look pretty, but it seemed to more or less work.

    However, since the iMac drive was on it's last legs and I was going to
    upgrade to Panther I decided to buy another drive. I took the troublesome WD
    drive and stuck it in the imac. The OS loaded and ran without problem.

    At this point, I began to suspect that the WD drive was OK all along. But
    when I installed the new Maxtor 80GB ATA 133 in the G3 and I got the same
    sort of problems that I got with the Western Digital I knew the problem had
    more to do with the G3 than with the drives.

    The Maxtor 80GB drive's documentation did contain and interesting tidbit.
    They recommended that "If you have a system older than the Power Mac G4.
    Maxtor recommends that you attach your drive to a Mac-compatible ATA PCI
    card (not included) instead of the on-board ATA controller"

    I began to wonder if Maxtor knew something was wrong with the onboard ATA
    controller on the G3

    Any help or comments would be appreciated

    tia

    greg

  2. Re: Installing ATA drives in early B & W G3 ( simple question and long story)

    In article ,
    Greg Wilson wrote:

    > The question:
    >
    > Is there a problem with the onboard ATA controller on early B&W (before the
    > carrier allowed for multiple drives) G3's?

    Yes, absolutely, without a doubt (let me know when I start repeating
    myself). You can probably find a compatible drive listed on the ,
    but it would be much safer to install a PCI IDE controller card. You
    will also get much better performance with a PCI card controller.

    A quote from the xlr8yourmac.com site:

    "Reader FYI - rev 1 B&W G3s have an IDE chip revision on the motherboard
    that often causes data corruption with replacement/modern hard drives.
    (if your B&W G3 has a single HD drive cable - see the main
    www.xlr8yourmac.com Systems page, G3 macs section for an article on the
    rev 2 B&W G3 features to check the marking on the IDE chip on the
    motherbord. If it's not a "-402" marked IDE chip, beware when using
    repacement drives."

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  3. Re: Installing ATA drives in early B & W G3 ( simple questionand long story)

    On 11/6/03 9:03 PM, in article
    walterwego-951628.20035506112003@corp.supernews.com, "Matt Broughton"
    wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Greg Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> The question:
    >>
    >> Is there a problem with the onboard ATA controller on early B&W (before the
    >> carrier allowed for multiple drives) G3's?
    >>

    > Yes, absolutely, without a doubt (let me know when I start repeating
    > myself). You can probably find a compatible drive listed on the
    > ,
    > but it would be much safer to install a PCI IDE controller card. You
    > will also get much better performance with a PCI card controller.
    >
    > A quote from the xlr8yourmac.com site:
    >
    > "Reader FYI - rev 1 B&W G3s have an IDE chip revision on the motherboard
    > that often causes data corruption with replacement/modern hard drives.
    > (if your B&W G3 has a single HD drive cable - see the main
    > www.xlr8yourmac.com Systems page, G3 macs section for an article on the
    > rev 2 B&W G3 features to check the marking on the IDE chip on the
    > motherbord. If it's not a "-402" marked IDE chip, beware when using
    > repacement drives."

    Thanks for that info and the link to the site. Tons of great info there! One
    other suggestion I will have to try is to connect the drive using the CD Rom
    cable. (It runs slower but supposedly prevents the corruption problem)

    Thx again

    Greg

+ Reply to Thread