PowerBook HD keeps "Boink"ing - Storage

This is a discussion on PowerBook HD keeps "Boink"ing - Storage ; This 40 GB internal PB hard drive is near silent in rotation and seek. But irregularly (sometimes several times a minute; sometimes only once a minute) it makes a sound that I never hear when it's operating otherwise. It's a ...

  1. PowerBook HD keeps "Boink"ing

    This 40 GB internal PB hard drive is near silent in rotation and seek. But
    irregularly (sometimes several times a minute; sometimes only once a minute)
    it makes a sound that I never hear when it's operating otherwise.

    It's a "Ba-boink" sound, as best as I can convey it. Not real loud, but
    definitely louder than normal operating noise levels.

    It seems that it wasn't making this sound early in my OS X experience (ie,
    when I had OS X 10.1.5 installed, for example) but I noticed it sometime
    after I installed later versions (don't remember which...). Not necessarily
    cause-and-effect, but related? Don't know.

    Anyone else have this experience with the Hitachi/IBM Travelstar 40 GB HDs?
    Any idea what causes it?

    Thanks,
    --
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address

  2. Re: PowerBook HD keeps "Boink"ing

    In article <0001HW.BBCF2E6800223BEBF0080600@news.individual.ne t>,
    DaveC wrote:

    > It's a "Ba-boink" sound, as best as I can convey it. Not real loud, but
    > definitely louder than normal operating noise levels.

    Sounds the the sound an old Dell laptop made whenever the hardrive
    parked. Didn't seem a normal sound so I replaced the HD. I had two
    identical Dell Inspirons and only one made that noise.

  3. Re: PowerBook HD keeps "Boink"ing

    Boinking, eh? Maybe time to get it neutered?

    ;-)

  4. Re: PowerBook HD keeps "Boink"ing

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:11:01 -0800, Steve M wrote
    (in message ):

    > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:47:04 -0800, DaveC wrote:

    >> It's a "Ba-boink" sound, as best as I can convey it. Not real loud, but
    >> definitely louder than normal operating noise levels.

    snip...

    >> Anyone else have this experience with the Hitachi/IBM Travelstar 40 GB
    >> HDs?
    >>
    >> Any idea what causes it?

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > I have a smaller version of that drive and it does the same irritating
    > sound. I thought it was due to my Lombard and OS X 10.2 and a flawed
    > sound daemon.
    >
    > But the sound moved to my FreeBSD notebook (Pentium 3) when I swapped
    > the drive into it.
    >
    > On the good side, it is otherwise a very quiet drive.
    >
    > If you learn of a way to safely quiet that behavior please post it!

    I looked up the Hitachi support phone number and called them. I was told that
    this sound is from the drive doing what they call a "Head Sweep".

    The surface of the drive platters wear unevenly, apparently; more wear near
    the beginning of the data storage area (outer circumference?) than at the end
    of this area (inner circumference?). The Head Sweep causes the head to run
    the entire surface of the platter in one, well, sweep.

    How this keeps the platters from wearing more in the area of greater data
    density, I'm not sure. But this was Hitachi's explanation for the noise.

    Current models are doing the same thing...
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  5. Re: PowerBook HD keeps "Boink"ing

    David Turley wrote in message news:...

    > > It's a "Ba-boink" sound, as best as I can convey it. Not real loud, but
    > > definitely louder than normal operating noise levels.

    > Sounds the the sound an old Dell laptop made whenever the hardrive
    > parked. Didn't seem a normal sound so I replaced the HD. I had two
    > identical Dell Inspirons and only one made that noise.

    well, it is normal and usually happens with IBM Travelstar harddisks
    (or lets say, it's not that noticable with other brands).

    It's a very often discussed issue if you check Google and the final
    consensus is that it's quite normal. However, some harddisks do it
    more often than others and I couldn't tell why. I was suspecting once
    that it's maybe the something with the power supplied to the harddisk
    causing it to park more frequently.

    Anyway, not sure if Apple will replace it and if you're freaking out
    you can use a tool (FWB for instance) to check the S.M.A.R.T. status
    in order to get an early warning in case of failure.

+ Reply to Thread