How do I make a bootable CD - Storage

This is a discussion on How do I make a bootable CD - Storage ; I wrote a message in comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage which apparently never got replied to. Let me recap my frustrations I want to take my booting HD and make a bootable CD from it. I used disk copy which made the .img file. ...

  1. How do I make a bootable CD

    I wrote a message in comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage which apparently
    never got replied to. Let me recap my frustrations
    I want to take my booting HD and make a bootable CD from it. I
    used disk copy which made the .img file. Since My Mac does not have a
    CD-R or CD-RW drive I sent the file via binary to my Slackware 8.0
    Linux box. Yes, I sent it in plain binary.
    Burned it to a CD-R. but I can't get it to boot! Do I need to
    add a boot sector? if so, where and how do find/add the boot sector
    code via Cd-record? I tried the standard way to boot a mac CD of
    holding down c right after the "bong" does not boot. I also went into
    the startup disk control pannel and told it to select the cdrom that
    was in the drive and mounted. No good.... I am using the original
    Apple CD drive here. not a 3rd party.
    What else should I try? zapping the pram I have not tried yet.
    but since the CD was in the machine from the factory... do I need to?
    Would it even help?
    BAring that. is there a lilo type loader that I could install
    on floppy to boot the cd if the rom does not have the option? (I do
    the same to pull up Slackware 8.0 on my Intel box).

    --
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system.

  2. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    In article ,
    B'ichela wrote:

    > I want to take my booting HD and make a bootable CD from it. I
    > used disk copy which made the .img file.

    What version of Mac OS? 9? X?

  3. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 9:02:06 -0500, B'ichela wrote
    (in message ):

    > I want to take my booting HD and make a bootable CD from it.

    Making a boot CD is not as straight forward as burning a system folder
    to CD. Go to versiontracker and download BootCD.

    --
    J Brady

  4. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    In article , Pat Janes wrote:
    > What version of Mac OS? 9? X?

    Mac-OS 7.6.1

    --
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system.
    Telephone 860-738-7176 300-33.6kbps Telnet://pinkrose.pinkrose.net.dhis.org
    The New Cnews maintainer
    B'ichela

  5. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    In article <0001HW.BBCBDD7C0002DD44F02845B0@enews.newsguy.com>, Jonathan Brady wrote:

    >> I want to take my booting HD and make a bootable CD from it.

    > Making a boot CD is not as straight forward as burning a system folder
    > to CD. Go to versiontracker and download BootCD.

    URL? I need the URL. Also the burning is down on Linux as I don't have
    enough HD space to hold a 660MB CD image. (can barely squeeze a 340MB
    one in drive c. I use Linux to take the *.img file and turn it into a
    CD-R.
    I DO have a spare Scsi CD-R drive though. but I need the
    cd burning software. Is there any thats freeware/shareware that works
    on Mac Os 7.6.1? The CD-R drive is a generic non-apple CD-R 2x drive.
    (its a spare, my newer Sony 10/4/32x (is that how you write the
    numbers.) is used under Linux.
    The cdrom for booting is the original OEM drive of the
    Performa.

    --
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system.
    Telephone 860-738-7176 300-33.6kbps Telnet://pinkrose.pinkrose.net.dhis.org
    The New Cnews maintainer
    B'ichela

  6. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    In article <0001HW.BBCBDD7C0002DD44F02845B0@enews.newsguy.com>, Jonathan Brady wrote:
    > Making a boot CD is not as straight forward as burning a system folder
    > to CD. Go to versiontracker and download BootCD.

    My Mac only has 7.6.1. I don't have Caoco or carbon. Unless
    someone has a way I can make the image under Mac Os 7.6.1 I will need
    to find a way to make a bootable floppy disk instead.
    Now if I can add the needed boot sector code via Linux on my
    Pentium to the CD that would be also cool.

    --
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system.
    Telephone 860-738-7176 300-33.6kbps Telnet://pinkrose.pinkrose.net.dhis.org
    The New Cnews maintainer
    B'ichela

  7. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    B'ichela wrote:

    > I wrote a message in comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage which apparently
    > never got replied to. Let me recap my frustrations
    > I want to take my booting HD and make a bootable CD from it. I
    > used disk copy which made the .img file. Since My Mac does not have a
    > CD-R or CD-RW drive I sent the file via binary to my Slackware 8.0
    > Linux box. Yes, I sent it in plain binary.
    > Burned it to a CD-R. but I can't get it to boot!

    Taking into account the info in your original message - that you are
    using an old Mac and an old Mac OS version - I do not think you can do
    what you want to do by any of the methods you have mentioned. AFAIK, and
    IME, so YMMV, you need Adaptec/Roxio Toast to make a bootable CD of an
    older (i.e. pre OS X) Mac OS, even on a Mac. You cannot make the right
    image just with Disk Copy under the old Mac OS. It might just be
    possible to use Toast to make the right kind of image file, and then
    burn it on another system, but it might not boot even then if the image
    file was in any way changed by being transferred from a Mac file-system
    to a non-Mac file-system.

    > Do I need to add a boot sector? if so, where and how do find/add the
    > boot sector code via Cd-record?

    I have no knowledge on this, but I would guess this is what Toast
    supplies that Disk Copy does not.

    > I tried the standard way to boot a mac CD of
    > holding down c right after the "bong" does not boot. I also went into
    > the startup disk control pannel and told it to select the cdrom that
    > was in the drive and mounted. No good.... I am using the original
    > Apple CD drive here. not a 3rd party.

    If the CD was not made right, none of that would affect the issue.

    > What else should I try? zapping the pram I have not tried yet.
    > but since the CD was in the machine from the factory... do I need to?
    > Would it even help?

    No, the problem is with how the CD was made.

    > BAring that. is there a lilo type loader that I could install
    > on floppy to boot the cd if the rom does not have the option? (I do
    > the same to pull up Slackware 8.0 on my Intel box).

    No idea, sorry
    Hope this is some help!

  8. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    In article <1g3v3h8.1sraef21yt3p6gN%allspar@passerine.freeserv e.co.uk>, Allan Sparrow wrote:
    > what you want to do by any of the methods you have mentioned. AFAIK, and
    > IME, so YMMV, you need Adaptec/Roxio Toast to make a bootable CD of an
    > Hope this is some help!

    Hmm. though the same too. Ok, How do I get that? is there a
    demo version that lets me make a few images and then expires? I only
    need to make ONE cd! Could move that Panasonic SCSI CD-R unit over to
    the Mac and replace the stock CD-rom with it. How do I modify the
    cdrom extension to read/write non apple CD drives?
    Now lets look at option #2. How do I make a System 7.6.1
    floppy boot disk? that could finish booting off the earlier CD I made?
    I bootstrap my Pentium Linux system the same way. Only I
    finish by booting a hard drive instead of the CD. Now we CANNOT assume
    the HD is still there. it may have been replaced or crashed etc.... so
    I need to pull the guts up via the CD disk. IN short.... a teeny apple
    booter loads up the code to get the rest of system 7.6.1 from the
    non-bootable CD. can it be done?

    --
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system.
    Telephone 860-738-7176 300-33.6kbps Telnet://pinkrose.pinkrose.net.dhis.org
    The New Cnews maintainer
    B'ichela

  9. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:32:48 GMT, mdalene@pinkrose.net.dhis.org suggested:
[...]

    I'm pretty sure that entire System Folder needs to be present on the boot
    device in order to work. My memory is a bit hazy on this, but if I recall
    correctly, the latest MacOS that I successfully made a boot floppy for was
    7.5.x (may have, in fact, been even older than that). Of course, this had
    the complete System on one floppy. Do you have a 7.6 installer CD, by
    chance? You could use that as a boot CD to do some minor maintenance
    tasks.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  10. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    andrewunix wrote:

    > Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:32:48 GMT, mdalene@pinkrose.net.dhis.org suggested: :
    > In article <1g3v3h8.1sraef21yt3p6gN%allspar@passerine.freeserv e.co.uk>,
    > Allan Sparrow wrote:

    [snip]
    > Hmm. thought the same too. Ok, How do I get that? is there a demo
    > version that lets me make a few images and then expires?

    I don't think so. Toast is a commercial app, with lite versions bundled
    with burners. There are othe Mac apps for burning, there may be demos...
    You might try using software categories at versiontracker.com

    [snip]
    > : Now lets look at option #2. How do I make a System 7.6.1
    > : floppy boot disk? that could finish booting off the earlier CD I made?

    [snip]

    > > I'm pretty sure that entire System Folder needs to be present on the
    > > boot device in order to work. My memory is a bit hazy on this, but if
    > > I recall correctly, the latest MacOS that I successfully made a boot
    > > floppy for was 7.5.x (may have, in fact, been even older than that).
    > > Of course, this had the complete System on one floppy. Do you have a
    > > 7.6 installer CD, by chance? You could use that as a boot CD to do
    > > some minor maintenance > tasks.

    The System 7.6 CD contains images for creating for Disk Utilities
    floppies (which will boot), and also images for creating floppies of the
    whole system, which can then be used for installation on a Mac with no
    CD-ROM drive. The best option for the OP is undoubtedly to seek out a
    System 7.6 CD on eBay (or wherever...). Anything else will be a problem
    in one way or another.

  11. Re: How do I make a bootable CD

    In article , andrewunix wrote:
    > the complete System on one floppy. Do you have a 7.6 installer CD, by
    > chance? You could use that as a boot CD to do some minor maintenance
    > tasks.

    I have NO CDs for this machine at all. The only software I
    have is whats on the HD. Thats why I am trying to make a bootable CD
    disk.

    --
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system.
    Telephone 860-738-7176 300-33.6kbps Telnet://pinkrose.pinkrose.net.dhis.org
    The New Cnews maintainer
    B'ichela

+ Reply to Thread