How do I get My performa 6115cd to boot a cd? - Storage

This is a discussion on How do I get My performa 6115cd to boot a cd? - Storage ; First of all, I just discovered disk copy so I am VERY new at this. I made a disk image of my main HD which we will call "disk a". I stored the image on "disk a.img" on "disk b". ...

  1. How do I get My performa 6115cd to boot a cd?

    First of all, I just discovered disk copy so I am VERY new at
    this. I made a disk image of my main HD which we will call "disk a". I
    stored the image on "disk a.img" on "disk b". then I sent it to my
    Linux system so I could toast it with cdrecord. No problem burning.
    Only I can't boot it! Do I need to add something to the image file to
    make it bootable? I tried holding down Delete Option Command left
    Shift to start from scratch. I tried setting the control panel startup
    disk to go to the CD. It won't even when the disk is in the machine.
    I tried holding down the C after the "bong" and Kept it down
    until the desktop was loaded, Nada.
    Files on Cd are viewable on the Mac. they run fine from the
    CD. Now I want to know.... What step am I missing? Do I need to zap
    the Pram? thats Command option P-R when I boot right? Would that even
    help?
    Do I need to use something like Lilo to boot a CD? Is there a
    Mac version of a Lilo that can load up a CD. Do I need to add a boot
    sector to the CD? Where do I get the boot sector code?
    Can I make a Floppy that starts loading System 7.6.1 and
    finish the boot off of the CD? What files do I fit to a floppy? System
    is too fat. and Finder is too big...
    Love the mac. I am starting to figure it out vs Intel type
    hardware but because its used and I have NO original system disks... I
    am trying to make a bootable backup. I DID manage to get the Network 7
    ..5.3 Floppy disk from Apple's ftp. boots fine. but why can't I do the
    same with Mac System 7.6.1? True its not a G5, its old and slow. but
    I got it for a song and it works fine on my Lan. I don't like having a
    computer without system software backups. Might try mklinux sometime
    soon too. THUS... I need know how to boot a CD. and how to make the
    bootable CD. Do have a spare CD-r drive I could put in my mac. but I
    need the cd toasting software to do a direct CD creation step. Know of
    any. I remember my Sony CD-Rw drive (not the drive in question.) has a
    burner program. Not sure if its Windows only or the mac software is on
    the disk too. In addition the drive I have only burns at 2x. and only
    CD-R so I need to know how to modifiy Apple's CD-rom extension to see
    it. is it down the same way drive setup is by modifying a FSck
    resource?
    If I continue to use Cdrecord under Linux. how do I add the
    boot code to the disk image? Is there a sepecial boot sector that
    needs to be toasted to the CD. if so... how.
    If I need a boot floppy. Where can I find one?

    --
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system.

  2. Re: How do I get My performa 6115cd to boot a cd?

    B'ichela wrote:

    > First of all, I just discovered disk copy so I am VERY new at
    > this. I made a disk image of my main HD which we will call "disk a". I
    > stored the image on "disk a.img" on "disk b". then I sent it to my
    > Linux system so I could toast it with cdrecord. No problem burning.
    > Only I can't boot it!

    DiskCopy cannot create a bootable CD image - you will need Roxio's Toast
    to do that.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,

  3. Re: How do I get My performa 6115cd to boot a cd?

    In article <1g40s4q.q9wvy5l4u6grN@[192.168.0.170]>, Geoffrey wrote:
    > DiskCopy cannot create a bootable CD image - you will need Roxio's Toast
    > to do that.

    Um. How do I get the roxio that comes with a Mac CD burner?
    None of my CD-R/RW drives have Mac software. That includes my Sony
    Spressa Scsi drive. (its cd only has WINDOWS software.), I use it
    under Linux so even that CD is useless to me.

    --
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system.
    Telephone 860-738-7176 300-33.6kbps Telnet://pinkrose.pinkrose.net.dhis.org
    The New Cnews maintainer
    B'ichela

  4. Re: How do I get My performa 6115cd to boot a cd?

    B'ichela wrote:

    > > DiskCopy cannot create a bootable CD image - you will need Roxio's Toast
    > > to do that.

    > Um. How do I get the roxio that comes with a Mac CD burner?

    You'll have to buy a copy from a Mac software reseller.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,
    (b) quoted material exceeds 75% of total message content, and/or
    (c) HTML is used to format text and/or embed non-ASCII items.

+ Reply to Thread