Faith in Mac is lost - Storage

This is a discussion on Faith in Mac is lost - Storage ; After hearing the horror stories of Panther destroying external drive data, I decided to do a last backup to my Maxtor 3000dv and disconnecting it before upgrading my iBook to Panther. Well, during the backup process (I've been dragging and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Faith in Mac is lost

    After hearing the horror stories of Panther destroying external drive
    data, I decided to do a last backup to my Maxtor 3000dv and
    disconnecting it before upgrading my iBook to Panther.

    Well, during the backup process (I've been dragging and dropping), among
    various error messages that things can't be read or written -36, my
    Firewire drive icon disappears and I can't get it to return. After
    using Eject in Disk Utility, upon plugging the drive back in I get the
    good old "Initialize" or "Ignore" option. I tried Data Rescue X, but it
    said no files can be recovered because "allocation blocks are missing."
    Great.

    So I had to reformat ("Erase" in Disk Utility right? ) and then I
    continue to encounter several -36 errors in trying to back up.

    Now even when it seems I've backed up successfully and eject the
    Firewire Drive, upon plugging it in it's right back to the "Init/Ignore"
    option. Great! Just great.

    I've been cycling thru the above routines and staring at spinning
    rainbow balls for the evening.

    So I'm far from installing Panther and having IT screw my data; 10.2.6
    is doing the job just fine.

    Will there ever come a day when computers just work, like they're
    supposed to???

    Btw any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Rog

  2. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    It's possible that the drive mechanism is defective.

  3. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article , Roger
    wrote:

    > Will there ever come a day when computers just work, like they're
    > supposed to???

    Yes, but we shall not live to see it. :-(

  4. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article ,
    Roger wrote:

    > After hearing the horror stories of Panther destroying external drive
    > data, I decided to do a last backup to my Maxtor 3000dv and
    > disconnecting it before upgrading my iBook to Panther.

    You have been using this drive successfully for how long now?

    > Well, during the backup process (I've been dragging and dropping), among
    > various error messages that things can't be read or written -36, my
    > Firewire drive icon disappears and I can't get it to return. After
    > using Eject in Disk Utility, upon plugging the drive back in I get the
    > good old "Initialize" or "Ignore" option. I tried Data Rescue X, but it
    > said no files can be recovered because "allocation blocks are missing."
    > Great.
    > So I had to reformat ("Erase" in Disk Utility right? ) and then I
    > continue to encounter several -36 errors in trying to back up.

    Now let me get this straight, you keep getting errors but yet you
    continued to try to back up data to this drive? Also, what kinds of
    files were you backing up by the drag & drop method?

    > Now even when it seems I've backed up successfully and eject the
    > Firewire Drive, upon plugging it in it's right back to the "Init/Ignore"
    > option. Great! Just great.
    > I've been cycling thru the above routines and staring at spinning
    > rainbow balls for the evening.
    >
    > So I'm far from installing Panther and having IT screw my data; 10.2.6
    > is doing the job just fine.
    >
    > Will there ever come a day when computers just work, like they're
    > supposed to???
    >
    > Btw any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    I guess I missed the part where your iBook failed to work and what led
    you to post that you lost your "faith" in it. You forgot to explain how
    you know this problem is the fault of your iBook. Honestly, I am not
    trying to give you a hard time here but, unless there are things you
    left out, your conclusion does not seem to fit your fact pattern.

    Having just recently purchased 2 new hard drives, I'd like to share a
    couple of things that I learned before choosing my hard drive and then
    deciding to buy two instead of one--- since you asked for input:

    (1) Overall, ATA drives currently have a spectacular failure rate for
    ALL platforms. IIRC, Toshiba alone had something like a million such
    drives fail just in the last year alone. To rely on only one backup is
    a fool's mission while no backup at all would be as insane as ever.
    OTOH SCSI drives, vastly more expensive, are far more dependable and
    last a lot longer but, of course bring the same old problems SCSI bus
    users have had to endure for many years.

    (2) Currently, most if not all, Firewire drives are simply cheap ATA
    drives married to other Firewire hardware and put in a box. Yet while
    they are as undependable, relatively speaking, as all ATAs, they do have
    the advantage of a Firewire bus, speed, plug & play (more or less)
    capability, and they are relatively cheap.

  5. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article , Madwen
    wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Roger wrote:
    >
    > > After hearing the horror stories of Panther destroying external drive
    > > data, I decided to do a last backup to my Maxtor 3000dv and
    > > disconnecting it before upgrading my iBook to Panther.

    > You have been using this drive successfully for how long now?
    >
    > > Well, during the backup process (I've been dragging and dropping),
    > > among
    > > various error messages that things can't be read or written -36, my
    > > Firewire drive icon disappears and I can't get it to return. After
    > > using Eject in Disk Utility, upon plugging the drive back in I get the
    > > good old "Initialize" or "Ignore" option. I tried Data Rescue X, but
    > > it
    > > said no files can be recovered because "allocation blocks are missing."
    > >
    > > Great.
    > > So I had to reformat ("Erase" in Disk Utility right? ) and then I
    > > continue to encounter several -36 errors in trying to back up.

    > Now let me get this straight, you keep getting errors but yet you
    > continued to try to back up data to this drive? Also, what kinds of
    > files were you backing up by the drag & drop method?

    While trying different things in an attempt to eliminate the problem(s),
    such as formatting w, w/out the os9 drivers, etc. I was trying to back
    up irreplacible files: my docs folder, pics, mail folder, my os 9 docs,
    and some audio, midi and mp3 files. The drive is large enough to back
    up my entire iBook, but things aren't that simple in OS X like it used
    to be with the old Mac os when you could just drag and drop disk icons.
    I'm sure there's a good reason for that, it's just unfortunate in this
    day and age. You'd think things (the same old things, not more complex
    tasks) would get easier over time, isn't that sort of the idea generally
    speaking?

    > > Now even when it seems I've backed up successfully and eject the
    > > Firewire Drive, upon plugging it in it's right back to the
    > > "Init/Ignore"
    > > option. Great! Just great.
    > > I've been cycling thru the above routines and staring at spinning
    > > rainbow balls for the evening.
    > >
    > > So I'm far from installing Panther and having IT screw my data; 10.2.6
    > > is doing the job just fine.
    > >
    > > Will there ever come a day when computers just work, like they're
    > > supposed to???
    > >
    > > Btw any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    > I guess I missed the part where your iBook failed to work and what led
    > you to post that you lost your "faith" in it. You forgot to explain how
    > you know this problem is the fault of your iBook. Honestly, I am not
    > trying to give you a hard time here but, unless there are things you
    > left out, your conclusion does not seem to fit your fact pattern.

    I don't know what's at fault--that's why I chose the word "faith" at the
    time. It just followed what I've been hearing about happening to others
    via Panther,and that this has been a problem with recent Jaguar versions
    also. I guess I will buy another drive today and try it.

    Rog

  6. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article ,
    Roger wrote:

    > After hearing the horror stories of Panther destroying external drive
    > data, I decided to do a last backup to my Maxtor 3000dv and
    > disconnecting it before upgrading my iBook to Panther.
    >
    > Well, during the backup process (I've been dragging and dropping), among
    > various error messages that things can't be read or written -36, my
    > Firewire drive icon disappears and I can't get it to return. After
    > using Eject in Disk Utility, upon plugging the drive back in I get the
    > good old "Initialize" or "Ignore" option. I tried Data Rescue X, but it
    > said no files can be recovered because "allocation blocks are missing."
    > Great.

    There's a good chance that the problem exists with your source drive.
    My advice is to get and use Alsoft's DiskWarrior to rebuild the
    directory on that drive.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

  7. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    OS X is not the same a OS 9 for BU. You really can't /shouldn't drag
    and drop files and folders as you could in OS 9 and expect all the
    info you need to be transferred. Better to use Carbon Copy a
    freeware/shareware program that does an outstanding job of backing up
    the OS X files from the system folder to all aplications with their
    associated password, fonts, etc. It's much easier than OS 9 BUs.

    It even makes a flawless Bootable disk. Please make a $5-$10 donation
    to the Carbon Copy folks if you like it.

    Chris

    Roger wrote in message news:...
> [...]

    > > > So I'm far from installing Panther and having IT screw my data; 10.2.6
    > > > is doing the job just fine.
    > > >
    > > > Will there ever come a day when computers just work, like they're
    > > > supposed to???
    > > >
    > > > Btw any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    > > I guess I missed the part where your iBook failed to work and what led
    > > you to post that you lost your "faith" in it. You forgot to explain how
    > > you know this problem is the fault of your iBook. Honestly, I am not
    > > trying to give you a hard time here but, unless there are things you
    > > left out, your conclusion does not seem to fit your fact pattern.

    > I don't know what's at fault--that's why I chose the word "faith" at the
    > time. It just followed what I've been hearing about happening to others
    > via Panther,and that this has been a problem with recent Jaguar versions
    > also. I guess I will buy another drive today and try it.

  8. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article ,
    Roger wrote:
    >Well, during the backup process (I've been dragging and dropping), among
    >various error messages that things can't be read or written -36, my
    >Firewire drive icon disappears and I can't get it to return. After
    >using Eject in Disk Utility, upon plugging the drive back in I get the
    >good old "Initialize" or "Ignore" option. I tried Data Rescue X, but it
    >said no files can be recovered because "allocation blocks are missing."
    >Great.

    Sounds like you had some filesystem errors before you started. How long
    since you last rebooted the machine? Could also be that the hard drive
    is failing, of course. They're about the least reliable part of any
    computer these days, because they're subject to mechanical failure.

    >So I had to reformat ("Erase" in Disk Utility right? ) and then I
    >continue to encounter several -36 errors in trying to back up.

    But it sounds like it's the source disk that's got problems, not the
    target, so reformatting the target won't help.

    >Now even when it seems I've backed up successfully and eject the
    >Firewire Drive, upon plugging it in it's right back to the "Init/Ignore"
    >option. Great! Just great.

    Hmm. Scratch that - that sounds like your firewire hard disk is broken.
    Can you try it in another machine?

    >I've been cycling thru the above routines and staring at spinning
    >rainbow balls for the evening.
    >
    >So I'm far from installing Panther and having IT screw my data; 10.2.6
    >is doing the job just fine.

    I have to agree - Mac OS X is great in so many ways, but it's forced me
    to fully reinstall my machine twice already in the 8 months since I
    bought it. In both cases, severe filesystem corruption was the reason.

    The HFS+ filesystem used by OS X is a PoS. They took a filesystem from
    a single-tasking operating system, and tried to bolt it onto a
    preemptively multitasking OS without changing anything. This was a
    disaster waiting to happen, I think. The filesystem is just about the
    most important part of any OS to get right, so why didn't they adopt one
    of the existing UNIX filesystems which have been rock solid for years?
    They could easily have added support for the metadata that HFS+ needs.

    >Will there ever come a day when computers just work, like they're
    >supposed to???

    Well, no, sadly not. Because users demand ever more sophisticated
    features. With those features come complexity, and there goes
    reliability. It really isn't feasible to make something entirely error
    free. Apple have done a pretty reasonable job in most respects; Macs do
    "just work" most of the time, when you compare them to Linux and Windows
    systems, which require comsiderably more expertise to make a lot of
    things work. But the OS X filesystem is weak, and I can't help feeling
    makes it far too unreliable for serious work. I'd much rather a machine
    crashed occasionally, but didn't trash my data, than the situation we
    have here, which is that the OS seems to trash data even when it doesn't
    crash.

    Tim

  9. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In comp.sys.mac.system Roger wrote:
    > After hearing the horror stories of Panther destroying external drive
    > data, I decided to do a last backup to my Maxtor 3000dv and
    > disconnecting it before upgrading my iBook to Panther.

    Horror stories? I haven't heard of any stories where Panther destroyed data.
    In a very small set of circumstances, Panther will not be able to read or write
    to external disk drives. This involves firewire 800 drives that are connected
    to a firewire 400 port. The data is supposedly not lost, just not accessible.
    I expect Apple will resolve the issue shortly.

    > So I'm far from installing Panther and having IT screw my data; 10.2.6
    > is doing the job just fine.

    Fine. If X 10.2.6 works well for you, then do not upgrade. I am
    of the opinion that something that's not broke ought not be fixed.

  10. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article , stan@temple.edu wrote:

    > In comp.sys.mac.system Roger wrote:
    > > After hearing the horror stories of Panther destroying external drive
    > > data, I decided to do a last backup to my Maxtor 3000dv and
    > > disconnecting it before upgrading my iBook to Panther.

    > Horror stories? I haven't heard of any stories where Panther destroyed
    > data.
    > In a very small set of circumstances, Panther will not be able to read or
    > write
    > to external disk drives. This involves firewire 800 drives that are
    > connected
    > to a firewire 400 port. The data is supposedly not lost, just not
    > accessible.
    > I expect Apple will resolve the issue shortly.
    >
    > > So I'm far from installing Panther and having IT screw my data; 10.2.6
    > > is doing the job just fine.

    > Fine. If X 10.2.6 works well for you, then do not upgrade. I am
    > of the opinion that something that's not broke ought not be fixed.

    Actually that was sarcasm.

    Rog

  11. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    Tim Cutts wrote:
    > disaster waiting to happen, I think. The filesystem is just about the
    > most important part of any OS to get right, so why didn't they adopt one
    > of the existing UNIX filesystems which have been rock solid for years?
    > They could easily have added support for the metadata that HFS+ needs.

    In fact, they did.

    In Terminal, do an 'ls -la' on an HFS+ directory.

    Then use Finder to drag (copy) that directory
    to a UFS partition.

    Do 'ls -la' on the copy. All the resource forks
    will appear as filenames starting with ._

    --
    Wes Groleau
    ----

  12. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    02 Nov 2003 17:58:43 +0000 (GMT), timc@chiark.greenend.org.uk suggested:
    :
    : The HFS+ filesystem used by OS X is a PoS. They took a filesystem from
    : a single-tasking operating system, and tried to bolt it onto a
    : preemptively multitasking OS without changing anything. This was a
    : disaster waiting to happen, I think. The filesystem is just about the
    : most important part of any OS to get right, so why didn't they adopt one
    : of the existing UNIX filesystems which have been rock solid for years?
    : They could easily have added support for the metadata that HFS+ needs.

    There's nothing stopping you from using the Apple Unix filesystem, if you
    never use OS 9.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  13. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    A local vendor has advised me of "a potential data loss" using the
    Oxford 922 (fw800) chipset with 10.3 (panther) and has a firmware
    upgrade for Newmotion drives. Seems the updater is a java applet that
    could allow a lot of tinkering with the drive's mode pages, etc, and it
    is claimed that it will also update 900/911 (fw400 1394a) firmware.
    Regardless of any update tro Panther, the firmware updater runs ony in
    10.2.6 or 10.2.8. May or may not be of interest to the OP.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/firewire...almessage.html

    http://www.oxsemi.com/

  14. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article ,
    andrewunix wrote:
    >There's nothing stopping you from using the Apple Unix filesystem, if you
    >never use OS 9.

    I understand there are performance issues with UFS on OS X though, and
    it isn't journalled. If it supports all the necessary metadata, why
    do Apple recommend we don't use it for the boot volume?

    Tim

  15. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    Roger writes:

    > After hearing the horror stories of Panther destroying external
    > drive data, I decided to do a last backup to my Maxtor 3000dv and
    > disconnecting it before upgrading my iBook to Panther.

    Waitaminute....

    You know there's a problem with FW drives, so you use a FW drive to
    hold your system backup?

    Are you insane? What happens if the bug bites you and clobbers that
    drive?

    > Well, during the backup process (I've been dragging and dropping),
    > among various error messages that things can't be read or written
    > -36, my Firewire drive icon disappears and I can't get it to return.
    > After using Eject in Disk Utility, upon plugging the drive back in I
    > get the good old "Initialize" or "Ignore" option. I tried Data
    > Rescue X, but it said no files can be recovered because "allocation
    > blocks are missing." Great.

    Sounds like drive hardware problems.

    > So I had to reformat ("Erase" in Disk Utility right? ) and then I
    > continue to encounter several -36 errors in trying to back up.

    and even more

    > Now even when it seems I've backed up successfully and eject the
    > Firewire Drive, upon plugging it in it's right back to the
    > "Init/Ignore" option. Great! Just great.

    You're insane if you think you backed anything up "successfully" when
    you were getting errors all over the place.

    When I started getting errors on a tape drive several years ago, the
    first thing I did was pull the drive and replace it. Trusting your
    backups to a device that's giving you errors is madness.

    > So I'm far from installing Panther and having IT screw my data; 10.2.6
    > is doing the job just fine.

    FWIW, the Panther bug only happens with Oxford 922 chipsets that have
    firmware version 1.02 or lower. If you have a different chipset or a
    more recent firmware version, there shouldn't be a problem.

    > Will there ever come a day when computers just work, like they're
    > supposed to???

    That day has already arrived. Your computer is doing exactly what
    it's supposed to. It's telling you that your hard drive has serious
    problems - hence the -36 errors.

    > Btw any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    How long have you had this drive? If it's still under warrantee, get
    it replaced for free. If it's out of warrantee, then pay for a
    replacement.

    It's possible that a low-level format (can you do that with a
    FireWire drive?) will fix its problems, but not necessarily.

    -- David

  16. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    Orac writes:

    > Actually, MacFixIt confirmed that this problem with Panther and
    > Firewire 800 drives can and does result in data loss, having
    > replicated the problem. Apparently what happens is that the drive's
    > directory gets screwed up in a major way, so bad that neither Norton
    > Utilities, Drive 10, or DiskWarrior could fix it and allow the data
    > to be recovered. Indeed, MacFixIt reported that it could only
    > recover some of the lost data on its test drive and had to use Data
    > Rescue X to get even that back. It couldn't recover everything. Data
    > loss did occur.
    >
    > How widespread the problem is, I can't tell from what I've read, but
    > apparently it's widespread enough to have gotten the attention of
    > Apple, LaCie, and various hard drive manufacturers. From my
    > perspective, if there were even a relatively small risk of my drive
    > being totally screwed by Panther to the point of requiring
    > reformatting to make it work again, I'd take the seriously and hold
    > off on installing 10.3 until Apple figures it out and issues a fix.

    It's been confirmed with drives that use the Oxford 922 chipset.
    This is a FireWire 800 chipset, but some FW 400 drives also use it.

    Many drive makers use this chipset. OWC published a firmware updater
    on their web site that will upgrade the Oxford firmware to version
    1.05. (The problem only happens with version 1.02 and lower.)

    Some people have reported success using the OWC updater program to
    update drives from other vendors that use the Oxford 922 chipset.

    I don't know if any other chipsets exhibit this problem. I haven't
    seen any reports of it, but Oxford says it's a definite possibility.

    If you have a drive with the Oxford 922 chipset, update the firmware
    before upgrading the Panther. According to OWC, if you've already
    installed Panther, you can upgrade the drive from there, but you
    should eject and unplug the drive after the upgrade before you
    restart the Mac.

    -- David

  17. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    03 Nov 2003 21:20:21 +0000 (GMT), timc@chiark.greenend.org.uk suggested:
    : In article ,
    : andrewunix wrote:
    :>There's nothing stopping you from using the Apple Unix filesystem, if you
    :>never use OS 9.
    :
    : I understand there are performance issues with UFS on OS X though, and
    : it isn't journalled. If it supports all the necessary metadata, why
    : do Apple recommend we don't use it for the boot volume?

    Probably for backward compatiblity. I really don't think that the majority
    of problems that people have using OS X stems from which filesystem it
    uses. The UFS available on OS X isn't exactly recent technology, either.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  18. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:08:42 GMT, shamino@techie.com suggested:
    :
    : FWIW, the Panther bug only happens with Oxford 922 chipsets that have
    : firmware version 1.02 or lower. If you have a different chipset or a
    : more recent firmware version, there shouldn't be a problem.

    While that's the line that Apple's toting, I've seen a lot of reports on
    the discussion boards that would imply that old firmware on the 911
    chipset can cause problems as well. I would be hesitant to use any
    firewire drive on 10.3 until either a firmware update or an Apple-supplied
    patch has been installed.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  19. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:14:09 GMT, shamino@techie.com suggested:
    :
    : It's been confirmed with drives that use the Oxford 922 chipset.
    : This is a FireWire 800 chipset, but some FW 400 drives also use it.
    :
    : Many drive makers use this chipset. OWC published a firmware updater
    : on their web site that will upgrade the Oxford firmware to version
    : 1.05. (The problem only happens with version 1.02 and lower.)
    :
    : Some people have reported success using the OWC updater program to
    : update drives from other vendors that use the Oxford 922 chipset.

    Also, the OWC updater program has recent firmware for other Oxford
    chipsets as well. If you've got a fw900 or fw911 based drive, it couldn't
    hurt. (or could it?...)

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  20. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    Madwen writes:
    >(1) Overall, ATA drives currently have a spectacular failure rate for
    >ALL platforms. IIRC, Toshiba alone had something like a million such
    >drives fail just in the last year alone.

    I'll second that emotion. I just had the 20G Toshiba in my Pismo die. No
    (as in zero) warning, it just stopped working. Newest backup is old, but
    due to my slovenly email habits, I have 1500 or so recent messages still
    sitting in my inbox on our Exchange server, so the overall impact isn't as
    bad as it could be. Recovery estimate is 1700 bucks:-{
    --

    tom coradeschi <+> tcora(at)pica.army.mil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast