Faith in Mac is lost - Storage

This is a discussion on Faith in Mac is lost - Storage ; Tue, 4 Nov 2003 02:51:18 GMT, tcora@fsm-1.rome suggested: : Madwen writes: :>(1) Overall, ATA drives currently have a spectacular failure rate for :>ALL platforms. IIRC, Toshiba alone had something like a million such :>drives fail just in the last year ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    : Madwen writes:
    :>(1) Overall, ATA drives currently have a spectacular failure rate for
    :>ALL platforms. IIRC, Toshiba alone had something like a million such
    :>drives fail just in the last year alone.
    :
    : I'll second that emotion. I just had the 20G Toshiba in my Pismo die. No
    : (as in zero) warning, it just stopped working. Newest backup is old, but
    : due to my slovenly email habits, I have 1500 or so recent messages still
    : sitting in my inbox on our Exchange server, so the overall impact isn't as
    : bad as it could be. Recovery estimate is 1700 bucks:-{

    Well, before you start getting all sentimental for SCSI, we had a server
    (less than a year old) lose two SCSI disks pretty much simultaneously,
    rendering the RAID-5 array unrecoverable.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  2. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    > How widespread the problem is, I can't tell from what I've read, but
    > apparently it's widespread enough to have gotten the attention of Apple,
    > LaCie, and various hard drive manufacturers. From my perspective, if
    > there were even a relatively small risk of my drive being totally
    > screwed by Panther to the point of requiring reformatting to make it
    > work again, I'd take the seriously and hold off on installing 10.3 until
    > Apple figures it out and issues a fix.
    >
    > [Snip]

    It was figured out. Oxford, not Apple, issued the fix to drive
    manufacturers in September. Not all manufacturers have implemented the new
    firmware customized for their drives, although reports on MacCentral have
    listed many that have done so. Not every drive owner with a previous
    version of the firmware has known to get an update from their drive
    manufacturer. Best advice is to hold off on 10.3 until your drive
    manufacturer issues the update and you successfully install it.

  3. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article ,
    PudThumper wrote:

    > Best advice is to hold off on 10.3 until your drive
    > manufacturer issues the update and you successfully install it.

    Best advice is to hold off on any new system until it is 10.x.5

  4. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    Tue, 04 Nov 2003 17:04:02 -0800, clw@oblivion.world suggested:
    : In article ,
    : PudThumper wrote:
    :
    :> Best advice is to hold off on 10.3 until your drive
    :> manufacturer issues the update and you successfully install it.
    :>
    :
    : Best advice is to hold off on any new system until it is 10.x.5

    Or maybe just the silliest advice.
    The incremental version number is relatively meaningless. 10.2.5 was so
    problematic that 10.2.6 came out almost immediately afterwards.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  5. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    In article ,
    clw@oblivion.world wrote:

    > In article ,
    > PudThumper wrote:
    >
    > > Best advice is to hold off on 10.3 until your drive
    > > manufacturer issues the update and you successfully install it.
    > >

    > Best advice is to hold off on any new system until it is 10.x.5

    Or not. Jaguar, for example, was perfectly usable at 10.2, etc.

  6. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    wrote:

    > In article ,
    > PudThumper wrote:
    >
    > > Best advice is to hold off on 10.3 until your drive
    > > manufacturer issues the update and you successfully install it.
    > >

    > Best advice is to hold off on any new system until it is 10.x.5

    Best advice is to ignore this advice

  7. Re: Faith in Mac is lost

    wrote:

    > Best advice is to hold off on any new system until it is 10.x.5

    Are you specifically referring only to OS X? If not, do you realize
    you've just told people they should never have used _ANY_ Mac OS between
    7.5.5 and 10.1.5?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
    Tribute to Humphrey Bogart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2