Fast-Wide scsi - Storage

This is a discussion on Fast-Wide scsi - Storage ; I have a 9500 with an Adaptect 2940UW controler and a 9gig external scsi drive. The Adaptect is not supported after OS 9.2. Is there some type of cable adapter that would allow me to plug into the 9500s external ...

  1. Fast-Wide scsi

    I have a 9500 with an Adaptect 2940UW controler and a 9gig external
    scsi drive. The Adaptect is not supported after OS 9.2. Is there some
    type of cable adapter that would allow me to plug into the 9500s
    external scsi port. I don't care if I loose some of the drives
    features.

    --
    TIA Tom

  2. Re: Fast-Wide scsi

    In article <311020031948421582%tparo@cfl.rr.com>, Tom Paro
    wrote:

    > I have a 9500 with an Adaptect 2940UW controler and a 9gig external
    > scsi drive. The Adaptect is not supported after OS 9.2. Is there some
    > type of cable adapter that would allow me to plug into the 9500s
    > external scsi port. I don't care if I loose some of the drives
    > features.

    Yes you can get an adapter cable that has a standard 25-pin SCSI-1
    connector on one end and a 68-pin UW-SCSI connector on the other.
    They don't always work perfectly, but they usually work.

    Why not just get a different card that will support your drive and is
    Supported.

    I picked up 2 Ultra-2-wide cards off of eBay for cheap.

    You can get Adaptec Ultra-2-Wide cards for about $50.
    You want look for either an ATTO Express PCI UL2D, or an Adaptec
    2940-U2B.

    Both are supported under OSX and OS 9.2.

    Check the eBay sections on SCSI cards for Macs.
    Both of these cards were shipped in Mac Servers from Apple, so they are
    bootable.

    Make sure you are getting the Mac version of the card.

  3. Re: Fast-Wide scsi

    Errie,
    Thanks for the info the 2940UW works with 9.2.2 but will not work
    with OSX which is where I'm headed. Do you know who sells the cable you
    are talking about and could you give me a little more info on the
    problems you talked about.

    In article <011120031140435102%ernie@stagesmith.com>, Ernie Leimkuhler
    wrote:

    > In article <311020031948421582%tparo@cfl.rr.com>, Tom Paro
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 9500 with an Adaptect 2940UW controler and a 9gig external
    > > scsi drive. The Adaptect is not supported after OS 9.2. Is there some
    > > type of cable adapter that would allow me to plug into the 9500s
    > > external scsi port. I don't care if I loose some of the drives
    > > features.

    > Yes you can get an adapter cable that has a standard 25-pin SCSI-1
    > connector on one end and a 68-pin UW-SCSI connector on the other.
    > They don't always work perfectly, but they usually work.
    >
    > Why not just get a different card that will support your drive and is
    > Supported.
    >
    > I picked up 2 Ultra-2-wide cards off of eBay for cheap.
    >
    > You can get Adaptec Ultra-2-Wide cards for about $50.
    > You want look for either an ATTO Express PCI UL2D, or an Adaptec
    > 2940-U2B.
    >
    > Both are supported under OSX and OS 9.2.
    >
    > Check the eBay sections on SCSI cards for Macs.
    > Both of these cards were shipped in Mac Servers from Apple, so they are
    > bootable.
    >
    > Make sure you are getting the Mac version of the card.

    --
    Thanks Tom

  4. Re: Fast-Wide scsi

    In article <021120030422523059%tparo@cfl.rr.com>, Tom Paro
    wrote:

    > Errie,
    > Thanks for the info the 2940UW works with 9.2.2 but will not work
    > with OSX which is where I'm headed. Do you know who sells the cable you
    > are talking about and could you give me a little more info on the
    > problems you talked about.

    Gotta be hundreds of them on the net.

    A simple google search found these guys

    http://www.scsisource.com/scsi_cables/#external

    The one you want is

    HD68 Male to DB25 Male

    That is if your external box has a HD68 connector.

    Now if your external box has a Centronics 50 connector then you will
    want this one

    Cent50 Male to DB25 Male

    > In article <011120031140435102%ernie@stagesmith.com>, Ernie Leimkuhler
    > wrote:
    >
    > > In article <311020031948421582%tparo@cfl.rr.com>, Tom Paro
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a 9500 with an Adaptect 2940UW controler and a 9gig external
    > > > scsi drive. The Adaptect is not supported after OS 9.2. Is there some
    > > > type of cable adapter that would allow me to plug into the 9500s
    > > > external scsi port. I don't care if I loose some of the drives
    > > > features.

    > > Yes you can get an adapter cable that has a standard 25-pin SCSI-1
    > > connector on one end and a 68-pin UW-SCSI connector on the other.
    > > They don't always work perfectly, but they usually work.
    > >
    > > Why not just get a different card that will support your drive and is
    > > Supported.
    > >
    > > I picked up 2 Ultra-2-wide cards off of eBay for cheap.
    > >
    > > You can get Adaptec Ultra-2-Wide cards for about $50.
    > > You want look for either an ATTO Express PCI UL2D, or an Adaptec
    > > 2940-U2B.
    > >
    > > Both are supported under OSX and OS 9.2.
    > >
    > > Check the eBay sections on SCSI cards for Macs.
    > > Both of these cards were shipped in Mac Servers from Apple, so they are
    > > bootable.
    > >
    > > Make sure you are getting the Mac version of the card.

+ Reply to Thread