Q: ATA/6, ATA/66, ATA/100, SATA - Storage

This is a discussion on Q: ATA/6, ATA/66, ATA/100, SATA - Storage ; I think I know the answer to this but it's best I check with the collective group mind to be sure before I lay down some copper. I have a new MDD DP coming in soon and I would like ...

  1. Q: ATA/6, ATA/66, ATA/100, SATA

    I think I know the answer to this but it's best I check with the
    collective group mind to be sure before I lay down some copper.

    I have a new MDD DP coming in soon and I would like to install a second
    HD. My previous post as to which HD was recommended received lots of
    good responses so thanks to all. The question is about the interface.

    The MDD has two ATA busses as I understand it. One is ATA/100 and the
    other is ATA/66. Both can have master and slave. What is the difference
    between the different ATA's (parallel vs serial), and which "ATA" drive
    can I *not* install in my MDD. IOW, will a drive that is listed by the
    manufacturer as an ATA/6 work on the ATA/100 bus? I went to the
    IBM/Hitachi site to look at specs on the drives that were suggested and
    it was confusing. The title page if you will said ATA/100, but when you
    read the individual specs of the various models, the interface says
    ATA/6. Thanks.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bull**** before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing the invalid with sonic.

  2. Re: Q: ATA/6, ATA/66, ATA/100, SATA

    << The MDD has two ATA busses as I understand it. One is ATA/100 and the
    other is ATA/66. Both can have master and slave. What is the difference
    between the different ATA's (parallel vs serial), and which "ATA" drive
    can I *not* install in my MDD. >>

    Any currently manufactured ATA (also known as IDE) hard drive will work just
    fine on either bus in your MDD. The only difference is the 66 bus is slightly
    slower than the other, but not enough you'd notice in the real world.

    Serial ATA is a different interface altogether. It takes a different cable and
    won't work in your G4. They are used in the new G5 though.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.

  3. Re: Q: ATA/6, ATA/66, ATA/100, SATA

    In article <20031031014203.06825.00000026@mb-m23.aol.com>,
    larrysb@aol.commode (nuke) wrote:

    > Serial ATA is a different interface altogether. It takes a different cable and
    > won't work in your G4. They are used in the new G5 though.

    ....without a controller card.

    You can get SATA controller cards from Firmtek and ACARD.

    I don't know of any others...

    Dale

    --
    dstanbro@spam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au