New HD on PB 1400 - Storage

This is a discussion on New HD on PB 1400 - Storage ; I would like to build a new HD on my PB 1400. I have a Toshiba HD but on this page I found this: What are this brackets? Do I need them realy? http://www.mcetech.com/ms.html#brackets About Mounting Brackets: If you have ...

  1. New HD on PB 1400

    I would like to build a new HD on my PB 1400. I have a Toshiba HD but
    on this page I found this: What are this brackets? Do I need them
    realy?

    http://www.mcetech.com/ms.html#brackets
    About Mounting Brackets: If you have a PowerBook 1400, 5300, 190, or
    Duo 2300 then you will need a new mounting bracket in order to
    properly install any of the above drives into your system. All of the
    hard drive manufacturers that MCE and Apple use as components for
    their PowerBook products have changed the location of the mounting
    holes on their hard drives to the far corners of the drive to make
    more room inside the drive. The original hard drive brackets which are
    inside the PB 1400, PB 5300/190, and Duo 2300 systems will not
    properly mount the new drives, as they were designed for the older,
    lower capacity drives with the older mounting hole positions.The
    bracket kit for the PowerBook 5300, 190, and Duo 2300 is available
    separately (MCE Part # BRKT5323), as is the bracket for the PowerBook
    1400 (MCE Part # BRKT1400).

  2. Re: New HD on PB 1400

    MCE's discription is pretty clear. If your Toshiba HD mounting screw holes
    match the PB1400's chassis holes then you do not need an adaptor bracket.
    If the screw holes no not match you either need the adaptor bracket or let
    the new HD sit loose in the PB case.
    "Mystras" wrote in message
    news:4930986f.0310281342.54283cdc@posting.google.c om...
    > I would like to build a new HD on my PB 1400. I have a Toshiba HD but
    > on this page I found this: What are this brackets? Do I need them
    > realy?
    >
    > http://www.mcetech.com/ms.html#brackets
    > About Mounting Brackets: If you have a PowerBook 1400, 5300, 190, or
    > Duo 2300 then you will need a new mounting bracket in order to
    > properly install any of the above drives into your system. All of the
    > hard drive manufacturers that MCE and Apple use as components for
    > their PowerBook products have changed the location of the mounting
    > holes on their hard drives to the far corners of the drive to make
    > more room inside the drive. The original hard drive brackets which are
    > inside the PB 1400, PB 5300/190, and Duo 2300 systems will not
    > properly mount the new drives, as they were designed for the older,
    > lower capacity drives with the older mounting hole positions.The
    > bracket kit for the PowerBook 5300, 190, and Duo 2300 is available
    > separately (MCE Part # BRKT5323), as is the bracket for the PowerBook
    > 1400 (MCE Part # BRKT1400).

  3. Re: New HD on PB 1400

    In article ,
    "breyfogle" wrote:

    > MCE's discription is pretty clear. If your Toshiba HD mounting screw holes
    > match the PB1400's chassis holes then you do not need an adaptor bracket.
    > If the screw holes no not match you either need the adaptor bracket or let
    > the new HD sit loose in the PB case.

    Or drill new holes in the existing sheet metal mounting bracket, which
    is what I did. Easy job, no hassles.

    Matthew.

  4. Re: New HD on PB 1400

    It's been a few years since I upgraded a PB1400, but IIRC the original Apple
    HD was screwed directly to the chassis without the need for any bracket.
    "Matthew Kirkcaldie" wrote
    in message
    > In article ,
    > "breyfogle" wrote:
    >
    > > MCE's discription is pretty clear. If your Toshiba HD mounting screw

    holes
    > > match the PB1400's chassis holes then you do not need an adaptor

    bracket.
    > > If the screw holes no not match you either need the adaptor bracket or

    let
    > > the new HD sit loose in the PB case.

    > Or drill new holes in the existing sheet metal mounting bracket, which
    > is what I did. Easy job, no hassles.
    >
    > Matthew.

  5. Re: New HD on PB 1400

    In article ,
    "breyfogle" wrote:

    > It's been a few years since I upgraded a PB1400, but IIRC the original Apple
    > HD was screwed directly to the chassis without the need for any bracket.

    It's not. It sits in a small sheet metal "sled" which it's screwed to -
    I know because I drilled four holes in one.

    Matthew.

  6. Re: New HD on PB 1400

    Thank you for your replies,
    do you have a link with instructions on how to build the new HD?
    Peter

    Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > "breyfogle" wrote:
    >
    > > It's been a few years since I upgraded a PB1400, but IIRC the original Apple
    > > HD was screwed directly to the chassis without the need for any bracket.

    > It's not. It sits in a small sheet metal "sled" which it's screwed to -
    > I know because I drilled four holes in one.
    >
    > Matthew.

  7. Re: New HD on PB 1400

    In article <4930986f.0310311333.474af1d1@posting.google.com>,
    bb.bb@gmx.net (Mystras) wrote:

    > Thank you for your replies,
    > do you have a link with instructions on how to build the new HD?

    I assume you mean "how to drill the holes" - no I don't, I just lined
    the drive up with the metal shell and marked where the holes shoud be.
    Then I put a small piece of wood behind the metal to support it, and
    drilled holes the same size as the other holes, in the places where I
    had marked. Very simple.

    Cheers,

    Matthew.

+ Reply to Thread