Disconnecting a FireWire external HD? - Storage

This is a discussion on Disconnecting a FireWire external HD? - Storage ; My laptop-based office setup (an iBook still on OS 9.2) includes one of those LaCie 120 GB FireWire HDs that you can't turn off with the "power switch" on the HD. When I want to disconnect my laptop from the ...

  1. Disconnecting a FireWire external HD?

    My laptop-based office setup (an iBook still on OS 9.2) includes one of
    those LaCie 120 GB FireWire HDs that you can't turn off with the "power
    switch" on the HD. When I want to disconnect my laptop from the system
    to take it home or on a trip I have to first drag the HD icon to the
    trash, then unplug the FireWire connection.

    On some occasions dragging the HD to the trash produces a message that
    the HD can't be disconnected because something on it (unspecified as to
    what) is in use. This doesn't seem to go away with time; no
    applications or utilities are in fact running, at least not visibly; and
    if I go ahead and disconnect the FireWire cable anyway, the laptop
    system is left in a big mess, with a FireWire dialog box that won't go
    away.

    Advice on what to do when this happens?

  2. Re: Disconnecting a FireWire external HD?

    In article ,
    AES/newspost wrote:

    > My laptop-based office setup (an iBook still on OS 9.2) includes one of
    > those LaCie 120 GB FireWire HDs that you can't turn off with the "power
    > switch" on the HD. When I want to disconnect my laptop from the system
    > to take it home or on a trip I have to first drag the HD icon to the
    > trash, then unplug the FireWire connection.
    >
    > On some occasions dragging the HD to the trash produces a message that
    > the HD can't be disconnected because something on it (unspecified as to
    > what) is in use. This doesn't seem to go away with time; no
    > applications or utilities are in fact running, at least not visibly; and
    > if I go ahead and disconnect the FireWire cable anyway, the laptop
    > system is left in a big mess, with a FireWire dialog box that won't go
    > away.
    >
    > Advice on what to do when this happens?

    I have to logout and login again, although there may be better ways.
    Don't continue doing what you are doing, especially under Panther.

  3. Re: Disconnecting a FireWire external HD?

    In comp.sys.mac.system AES/newspost wrote:

    > Advice on what to do when this happens?

    Shut down your Mac and disconnect the disk drive.

  4. Re: Disconnecting a FireWire external HD?

    AES/newspost wrote:

    > On some occasions dragging the HD to the trash produces a message that
    > the HD can't be disconnected because something on it (unspecified as to
    > what) is in use. This doesn't seem to go away with time; no
    > applications or utilities are in fact running, at least not visibly; and
    > if I go ahead and disconnect the FireWire cable anyway, the laptop
    > system is left in a big mess, with a FireWire dialog box that won't go
    > away.
    >
    > Advice on what to do when this happens?

    Try using lsof(8) to find out which process is using a file on
    the drive and kill(1) it - or forcibly unmount it with "umount -f".

    Ian Gregory
    Systems and Applications Manager
    Learning and Information Services
    University of Hertfordshire

  5. Re: Disconnecting a FireWire external HD?

    In article <251020031224128365%tosh@newsfeed.com>, Toshiro
    wrote:

    > [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
    > the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
    >
    > In article ,
    > AES/newspost wrote:
    >
    > > My laptop-based office setup (an iBook still on OS 9.2) includes one of
    > > those LaCie 120 GB FireWire HDs that you can't turn off with the "power
    > > switch" on the HD. When I want to disconnect my laptop from the system
    > > to take it home or on a trip I have to first drag the HD icon to the
    > > trash, then unplug the FireWire connection.
    > >
    > > On some occasions dragging the HD to the trash produces a message that
    > > the HD can't be disconnected because something on it (unspecified as to
    > > what) is in use. This doesn't seem to go away with time; no
    > > applications or utilities are in fact running, at least not visibly; and
    > > if I go ahead and disconnect the FireWire cable anyway, the laptop
    > > system is left in a big mess, with a FireWire dialog box that won't go
    > > away.
    > >
    > > Advice on what to do when this happens?

    > I have to logout and login again, although there may be better ways.
    > Don't continue doing what you are doing, especially under Panther.

    It is probably some disk utility software that you have running "in the
    background". Something like a cataloger or virus detector or a file
    saver generating an alternate master directory on the disk. \Norton
    System and programs like that install them and these are not actually
    applications per se so they are not displayed on your dock.

    As Toshiro said, logging out puts a stop to things like this... usually.

  6. Re: Disconnecting a FireWire external HD?

    AES/newspost writes:

    > On some occasions dragging the HD to the trash produces a message
    > that the HD can't be disconnected because something on it
    > (unspecified as to what) is in use. This doesn't seem to go away
    > with time; no applications or utilities are in fact running, at
    > least not visibly; and if I go ahead and disconnect the FireWire
    > cable anyway, the laptop system is left in a big mess, with a
    > FireWire dialog box that won't go away.

    Don't just unplug the drive. MacOS keeps data in cache whenever the
    drive is mounted on the desktop. If you unplug the drive, that data
    won't be written to the disk. You will end up with some corruption
    on the drive, and disk repair utilities may not be able to repair the
    damage.

    When you see this message, some program (possibly running in the
    background) has an open file on the drive. You have to terminate
    this program before you can unmount the drive.

    If you can't find this program, logging out and back in should kill
    the program.

    If that doesn't work, you may be forced to perform a shutdown.

    As one other person mentioned, if you're comfortable with the command
    line, you might be able to use the lsof command to identify the
    program that's using the drive and the kill command to terminate it.

    -- David

+ Reply to Thread