Firewire Storage on G3 B&W - Storage

This is a discussion on Firewire Storage on G3 B&W - Storage ; I have B&W G3/400 (OS 8.6) which is used as an ASIP (6.2.2) server. I know the built in firewire is not 'up to par' as the largest drive it can handle is 10gig. So.... I got an orangemicro fire ...

  1. Firewire Storage on G3 B&W

    I have B&W G3/400 (OS 8.6) which is used as an ASIP (6.2.2) server.

    I know the built in firewire is not 'up to par' as the largest drive it can
    handle is 10gig.

    So.... I got an orangemicro fire card. inserted it into the computer. Nothing.

    I have talked to orangemicro, I have done everything I needed.

    The card DOES function, as I have put into another computer and it functions
    normally.

    I know the PCI slot(s) function as the machine has a SCSI card in it, which
    works. i have removed it in an attempt to get the firewire card to work - no luck.

    Nothing I do, extensions, etc will make the B&W see a drive on the PCI firewire
    card.

    I have even tried a different firewire card (Adaptec) same issue.
    any ideas?

    thanks

  2. Re: Firewire Storage on G3 B&W

    In article ,
    "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" wrote:

    > I have B&W G3/400 (OS 8.6) which is used as an ASIP (6.2.2) server.
    >
    > I know the built in firewire is not 'up to par' as the largest drive it can
    > handle is 10gig.

    What gave you that idea? Yesterday I successfully used a 120GB firewire
    drive with my Mac that started life as a Blue & White 450Mhz G3.

    Firewire on the Blue G3s is not totally up to par because it really
    soaks up the CPU, unlike any more modern hardware. But I'm not aware of
    a disk size limitation.

    I don't know what's wrong with your card but is it true the large
    FireWire drive won't mount via the built-in interface? Is there
    something wrong with the drive instead?

    --
    ....Paul McGrane

    pmcg.comeuppance.org

  3. Re: Firewire Storage on G3 B&W

    the built in firewire will support a 10g drive, but will NOT a 40g - I have
    tried this

    the PCI card supported any drive I attached, 10g 40g 700g when it was connected
    in a DIFFERENT machine (other than the B&W)

    You say your computer 'started life' as B&W what have you changed? maybe a
    processor upgrade?

    Paul McGrane wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" wrote:
    >

    >>I have B&W G3/400 (OS 8.6) which is used as an ASIP (6.2.2) server.
    >>
    >>I know the built in firewire is not 'up to par' as the largest drive it can
    >>handle is 10gig.

    > What gave you that idea? Yesterday I successfully used a 120GB firewire
    > drive with my Mac that started life as a Blue & White 450Mhz G3.
    >
    > Firewire on the Blue G3s is not totally up to par because it really
    > soaks up the CPU, unlike any more modern hardware. But I'm not aware of
    > a disk size limitation.
    >
    > I don't know what's wrong with your card but is it true the large
    > FireWire drive won't mount via the built-in interface? Is there
    > something wrong with the drive instead?

  4. Re: Firewire Storage on G3 B&W

    In article ,
    "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" wrote:

    > the built in firewire will support a 10g drive, but will NOT a 40g - I have
    > tried this
    >
    > the PCI card supported any drive I attached, 10g 40g 700g when it was
    > connected
    > in a DIFFERENT machine (other than the B&W)
    >
    > You say your computer 'started life' as B&W what have you changed? maybe a
    > processor upgrade?
    >
    > Paul McGrane wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have B&W G3/400 (OS 8.6) which is used as an ASIP (6.2.2) server.
    > >>
    > >>I know the built in firewire is not 'up to par' as the largest drive it can
    > >>handle is 10gig.

    > > What gave you that idea? Yesterday I successfully used a 120GB firewire
    > > drive with my Mac that started life as a Blue & White 450Mhz G3.
    > >
    > > Firewire on the Blue G3s is not totally up to par because it really
    > > soaks up the CPU, unlike any more modern hardware. But I'm not aware of
    > > a disk size limitation.
    > >
    > > I don't know what's wrong with your card but is it true the large
    > > FireWire drive won't mount via the built-in interface? Is there
    > > something wrong with the drive instead?

    Perhaps the FireWire extensions for OS 8.6 are causing the problems. I
    have a Rev 1 B&W G3. I just added a 160 GB Seagate FireWire drive. In
    OS 9.1, OS 9.2.x, and OS X 10.2.6 there is no problem seeing all 160 GB.
    The FireWire drive is now partitioned, but there are still a couple of
    45 GB partitions on it. The limiting factor does not seem to be the
    machine architecture.

    Can you point to a tech article that cites the 10 GB limit? Perhaps my
    computer is not running according to spec. :-)

    Is the FW card you are trying to use compatible with OS 8.6?

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  5. Re: Firewire Storage on G3 B&W

    Matt Broughton wrote:
    > Perhaps the FireWire extensions for OS 8.6 are causing the problems. I
    > have a Rev 1 B&W G3. I just added a 160 GB Seagate FireWire drive. In
    > OS 9.1, OS 9.2.x, and OS X 10.2.6 there is no problem seeing all 160 GB.
    > The FireWire drive is now partitioned, but there are still a couple of
    > 45 GB partitions on it. The limiting factor does not seem to be the
    > machine architecture.
    >
    > Can you point to a tech article that cites the 10 GB limit? Perhaps my
    > computer is not running according to spec. :-)
    >
    > Is the FW card you are trying to use compatible with OS 8.6?

    yes according to both manufacturers (Orange Micro and adaptec)

    the limit on the firewire was a 'found' one, not a technote.

    I have given up, I should be able to replace this machine (B&W) with a graphite
    G4/450 with Panther Server in the next week.

    but thanks for the info - it probably means that this particular machine has
    some sort of hardware issue.

  6. Re: Firewire Storage on G3 B&W

    In article ,
    "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" wrote:

    > Matt Broughton wrote:
    > > Perhaps the FireWire extensions for OS 8.6 are causing the problems. I
    > > have a Rev 1 B&W G3. I just added a 160 GB Seagate FireWire drive. In
    > > OS 9.1, OS 9.2.x, and OS X 10.2.6 there is no problem seeing all 160 GB.
    > > The FireWire drive is now partitioned, but there are still a couple of
    > > 45 GB partitions on it. The limiting factor does not seem to be the
    > > machine architecture.
    > >
    > > Can you point to a tech article that cites the 10 GB limit? Perhaps my
    > > computer is not running according to spec. :-)
    > >
    > > Is the FW card you are trying to use compatible with OS 8.6?
    > >

    > yes according to both manufacturers (Orange Micro and adaptec)
    >
    > the limit on the firewire was a 'found' one, not a technote.
    >
    > I have given up, I should be able to replace this machine (B&W) with a
    > graphite
    > G4/450 with Panther Server in the next week.
    >
    > but thanks for the info - it probably means that this particular machine has
    > some sort of hardware issue.

    I solved my Blue & White G3/400 Firewire issues by getting an
    inexpensive 3rd party Firewire PCI card. I have not had any Firewire
    issues with it.

    Bob Harris

  7. Re: Firewire Storage on G3 B&W

    Bob Harris wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" wrote:
    >

    >>Matt Broughton wrote:
    >>
    >>>Perhaps the FireWire extensions for OS 8.6 are causing the problems. I
    >>>have a Rev 1 B&W G3. I just added a 160 GB Seagate FireWire drive. In
    >>>OS 9.1, OS 9.2.x, and OS X 10.2.6 there is no problem seeing all 160 GB.
    >>>The FireWire drive is now partitioned, but there are still a couple of
    >>>45 GB partitions on it. The limiting factor does not seem to be the
    >>>machine architecture.
    >>>
    >>>Can you point to a tech article that cites the 10 GB limit? Perhaps my
    >>>computer is not running according to spec. :-)
    >>>
    >>>Is the FW card you are trying to use compatible with OS 8.6?
    >>>

    >>yes according to both manufacturers (Orange Micro and adaptec)
    >>
    >>the limit on the firewire was a 'found' one, not a technote.
    >>
    >>I have given up, I should be able to replace this machine (B&W) with a
    >>graphite
    >>G4/450 with Panther Server in the next week.
    >>
    >>but thanks for the info - it probably means that this particular machine has
    >>some sort of hardware issue.
    >>

    > I solved my Blue & White G3/400 Firewire issues by getting an
    > inexpensive 3rd party Firewire PCI card. I have not had any Firewire
    > issues with it.

    the specific problem is that while drives at 'seen' by 3rd party cards (firewire
    powered drives show that they have power) the computer does not see the drives.

  8. Re: Firewire Storage on G3 B&W

    I had similar issues with a B&W G3 Rev 2 and an 80 GB Firewire drive
    --- the G3 kept trashing the drive (I use it as a backup and formatted
    and partitioned it on my Powerbook)...

    wrote:

    > Matt Broughton wrote:
    > > Perhaps the FireWire extensions for OS 8.6 are causing the problems. I
    > > have a Rev 1 B&W G3. I just added a 160 GB Seagate FireWire drive. In
    > > OS 9.1, OS 9.2.x, and OS X 10.2.6 there is no problem seeing all 160 GB.
    > > The FireWire drive is now partitioned, but there are still a couple of
    > > 45 GB partitions on it. The limiting factor does not seem to be the
    > > machine architecture.
    > >
    > > Can you point to a tech article that cites the 10 GB limit? Perhaps my
    > > computer is not running according to spec. :-)
    > >
    > > Is the FW card you are trying to use compatible with OS 8.6?
    > >

    > yes according to both manufacturers (Orange Micro and adaptec)
    >
    > the limit on the firewire was a 'found' one, not a technote.
    >
    > I have given up, I should be able to replace this machine (B&W) with a
    > graphite
    > G4/450 with Panther Server in the next week.
    >
    > but thanks for the info - it probably means that this particular machine has
    > some sort of hardware issue.

+ Reply to Thread