3rd hard drive in a G4 tower - Storage

This is a discussion on 3rd hard drive in a G4 tower - Storage ; I would like to replace the 30 gig original hard drive in my G4 450 MP with my 60 gig 2nd drive add a 120 gig drive as the slave on that bus and move the 30 gig drive as ...

  1. 3rd hard drive in a G4 tower

    I would like to replace the 30 gig original hard drive in my G4 450 MP
    with my 60 gig 2nd drive add a 120 gig drive as the slave on that bus
    and move the 30 gig drive as the slave below my DVD writer.
    The 30 gig drive would be used as a data backup drive for my home
    network of 2 macs and a windows box.
    Is this possible, and what hardware would be needed to mount the drive
    in the lower front bay of this machine.

    Thanks for any information.

  2. Re: 3rd hard drive in a G4 tower

    Steven Gunn-Smith wrote:

    > I would like to replace the 30 gig original hard drive in my G4 450 MP
    > with my 60 gig 2nd drive add a 120 gig drive as the slave on that bus
    > and move the 30 gig drive as the slave below my DVD writer.
    > The 30 gig drive would be used as a data backup drive for my home
    > network of 2 macs and a windows box.
    > Is this possible, and what hardware would be needed to mount the drive
    > in the lower front bay of this machine.

    I believe that you are not supposed to mount hard disc drives under
    the optical drive for heat reasons. Mind you i've done it in a
    B&W G3 and it worked ok.

    dale

    --
    dstanbro@spam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au

  3. Re: 3rd hard drive in a G4 tower

    Steven Gunn-Smith wrote in message news:...
    > I would like to replace the 30 gig original hard drive in my G4 450 MP
    > with my 60 gig 2nd drive add a 120 gig drive as the slave on that bus
    > and move the 30 gig drive as the slave below my DVD writer.
    > The 30 gig drive would be used as a data backup drive for my home
    > network of 2 macs and a windows box.
    > Is this possible, and what hardware would be needed to mount the drive
    > in the lower front bay of this machine.
    >
    > Thanks for any information.

    I've mounted a 3rd drive in my G4/400 under the DVD player without any
    problems. The installed cables, intended for a ZIP drive, worked for
    that hard drive. I watched for heating issues, but never found it a
    problem. However, I read in another NG that the hard drive speeds
    will be limited to the slowest device on that bus, presumably the DVD.

+ Reply to Thread