PowerBook G4 1 Ghz's SuperDrive only sees 650 MB on my 700 MB CD-Rs? - Storage

This is a discussion on PowerBook G4 1 Ghz's SuperDrive only sees 650 MB on my 700 MB CD-Rs? - Storage ; Hi. I just burned some files to TDK 700 MB blank CD-Rs. However, I noticed Finder says there is only 660 MB free. Is this right? I understand that there might be cluster size issue, but 40 MB loss is ...

  1. PowerBook G4 1 Ghz's SuperDrive only sees 650 MB on my 700 MB CD-Rs?

    Hi. I just burned some files to TDK 700 MB blank CD-Rs. However, I
    noticed Finder says there is only 660 MB free. Is this right? I
    understand that there might be cluster size issue, but 40 MB loss is
    huge.

    I am using MacOS X 10.2.8 on my PowerBook G4 1 Ghz. I use Finder to
    copy files and burn them. Did I miss something or is this normal?

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "Remember, ants are only waiting for you to die..." --unknown
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

  2. Re: PowerBook G4 1 Ghz's SuperDrive only sees 650 MB on my 700 MB CD-Rs?

    Hello!

    I'm considering buying a Powerbook G4 1GHz 12". I would like to know if
    there are any heating problems with this model?

    Thanks.

    wrote in message
    > Hi. I just burned some files to TDK 700 MB blank CD-Rs. However, I
    > noticed Finder says there is only 660 MB free. Is this right? I
    > understand that there might be cluster size issue, but 40 MB loss is
    > huge.
    >
    > I am using MacOS X 10.2.8 on my PowerBook G4 1 Ghz. I use Finder to
    > copy files and burn them. Did I miss something or is this normal?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    > --
    > "Remember, ants are only waiting for you to die..." --unknown
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    > | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT
    > \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    > ( )

  3. Re: PowerBook G4 1 Ghz's SuperDrive only sees 650 MB on my 700 MB CD-Rs?

    In article , ANTant@zimage.com
    wrote:

    > Hi. I just burned some files to TDK 700 MB blank CD-Rs. However, I
    > noticed Finder says there is only 660 MB free. Is this right? I
    > understand that there might be cluster size issue, but 40 MB loss is
    > huge.
    >
    > I am using MacOS X 10.2.8 on my PowerBook G4 1 Ghz. I use Finder to
    > copy files and burn them. Did I miss something or is this normal?

    Apple doesn't appear to acknowledge the 700MB CD-Rs that have become
    commonplace. OS X assumes that a blank CD-R, fully used will be 660 MB.
    You can see this also in Disk Copy.

    It's really annoying and I recommend investing in Toast. It'll burn the
    full 700+ MB faster and easier.

    Greg B.

    Actual e-mail address is gbuchner and I'm located at mn.rr.com

  4. Re: PowerBook G4 1 Ghz's SuperDrive only sees 650 MB on my 700 MB CD-Rs?

    In article ,
    Greg Buchner wrote:

    > In article , ANTant@zimage.com
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I am using MacOS X 10.2.8 on my PowerBook G4 1 Ghz. I use Finder to
    > > copy files and burn them. Did I miss something or is this normal?

    > Apple doesn't appear to acknowledge the 700MB CD-Rs that have become
    > commonplace. OS X assumes that a blank CD-R, fully used will be 660 MB.
    > You can see this also in Disk Copy.

    It acknowledges the 700 MB CD-Rs, it's just that the Finder will never
    let you burn a whole CD. It reserves 40 MB for its own use. There was a
    thread on this issue earlier.

    You can see this by inserting a regular 650 MB CD-R. I just inserted
    one, and the Finder claims there is only 601.2 MB available.

    Either way, I totally agree about Toast - that's the way to go if you
    burn often.

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR - http://homepage.mac.com/macg3/doug/