USB or Firewire external CD-RW for Powerbook? - Storage

This is a discussion on USB or Firewire external CD-RW for Powerbook? - Storage ; Hello all. I currently use a Powerbook Pismo w/ 320 MB of RAM, 400 MHz, on Jaguar. I need a CDRW, but seeing that the internal ones are too expensive I have to buy an external. Are there any major ...

  1. USB or Firewire external CD-RW for Powerbook?

    Hello all.

    I currently use a Powerbook Pismo w/ 320 MB of RAM, 400 MHz, on Jaguar.
    I need a CDRW, but seeing that the internal ones are too expensive I
    have to buy an external.

    Are there any major differences between a USB and a Firewire model? I
    was looking at the Iomega USB CDRW. Comparing the USB specs to the FW
    specs, they both Write/Read/ReWrite at the same speed. So is the
    interface the only major issue? I presently only use one of my USB
    ports at any one time, so connectivity is not an issue (although I
    suppose I could use a hub if required).

    I seem to remember that USB CDRW's could only burn at 1x or 2x due to
    the speed limitations of USB itself. Does this still hold true? Would
    I be safer buying the FW because FW is generally faster?

    Comments welcome.

    Cheers.
    -Patrick

    --
    tendim
    remove all capitals from eMail address for replies

  2. Re: USB or Firewire external CD-RW for Powerbook?

    In article <1g35aig.o6kyja1yuwtooN%patrick@NOtendim.cjb.netSPA M>,
    patrick@NOtendim.cjb.netSPAM (tendim) wrote:

    > Hello all.
    >
    > I currently use a Powerbook Pismo w/ 320 MB of RAM, 400 MHz, on Jaguar.
    > I need a CDRW, but seeing that the internal ones are too expensive I
    > have to buy an external.
    >
    > Are there any major differences between a USB and a Firewire model? I
    > was looking at the Iomega USB CDRW. Comparing the USB specs to the FW
    > specs, they both Write/Read/ReWrite at the same speed. So is the
    > interface the only major issue? I presently only use one of my USB
    > ports at any one time, so connectivity is not an issue (although I
    > suppose I could use a hub if required).
    >
    > I seem to remember that USB CDRW's could only burn at 1x or 2x due to
    > the speed limitations of USB itself. Does this still hold true? Would
    > I be safer buying the FW because FW is generally faster?

    With USB 1.0 a CDRW is limited in how fast it can go. With USB 2.0 it
    would be limited by the drive hardware only. But the built in USB on a
    Pismo is 1.0 only. So a FW drive would be better from that standpoint.

    --
    Clark Martin

  3. Re: USB or Firewire external CD-RW for Powerbook?

    Clark Martin wrote:

    > With USB 1.0 a CDRW is limited in how fast it can go. With USB 2.0 it
    > would be limited by the drive hardware only. But the built in USB on a
    > Pismo is 1.0 only. So a FW drive would be better from that standpoint.

    Is there no way to upgrade to USB 2.0, or is this a hardware issue?
    (I.e., the actual USB chips on the m/b).

    Thanks for the info so far.

    Cheers,
    Patrick

    --
    tendim
    remove all capitals from eMail address for replies

  4. Re: USB or Firewire external CD-RW for Powerbook?

    tendim wrote:

    > Clark Martin wrote:
    >
    >> With USB 1.0 a CDRW is limited in how fast it can go. With USB 2.0 it
    >> would be limited by the drive hardware only. But the built in USB on a
    >> Pismo is 1.0 only. So a FW drive would be better from that standpoint.

    > Is there no way to upgrade to USB 2.0, or is this a hardware issue?
    > (I.e., the actual USB chips on the m/b).
    >
    > Thanks for the info so far.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Patrick

    USB 2.x or FW-400 will probably provide the same capabilities for burning
    CD-R/W in your case. However, your Pismo already has a FW port, so, by
    choosing FW, you would just need to buy the external drive. If you want USB
    2.x you would have to buy in addition a PCMIA card providing it. One way or
    the other, the external burner will be an IDE burner enclosed in a box with
    a USB or FW or both interface(*). Quite some time ago, I had a QUE 2x USB.
    It could only burn at 2x via USB 1.x. I removed the drive from the box and
    put it into a FW enclosure so that I could burn at 4x (via a PCMIA FW card
    in a Lombard). With your Pismo, I guess you can aim at more than 4x.

    (*) Which means that if you already have an unused IDE burner or unused FW
    enclosure, you could just buy the missing part and build your own burner.

+ Reply to Thread