HD Configurations for a new G4 - Advice Needed - Storage

This is a discussion on HD Configurations for a new G4 - Advice Needed - Storage ; I was given a brand-new IBM UltraStar 38GB SCSI HD. It's still sealed in the anti-static bag. The HD is an Ultra 160, 10,000 rpm drive. I will be ordering a new, MDD DP in a couple of weeks. The ...

  1. HD Configurations for a new G4 - Advice Needed

    I was given a brand-new IBM UltraStar 38GB SCSI HD. It's still sealed
    in the anti-static bag. The HD is an Ultra 160, 10,000 rpm drive. I
    will be ordering a new, MDD DP in a couple of weeks. The G4 will come
    with the Ultra SCSI card installed. The problem is that the SCSI card
    is a 50-pin card and the HD is a 68-pin drive. The obvious solution is
    to buy a 68-pin SCSI card (preferably an Ultra160). However, the budget
    is tight after the G4 purchase so buying a card to fit the HD is out of
    the question :-(

    What to do? The G4 comes with an 80GB ATA100 drive. Should I sell the
    UltraStar and get a 50-pin SCSI drive to match the card, or should I
    sell the UltraStar and get another ATA drive with a big cache and put
    it on the other ATA bus which I believe is an ATA50 (I think you can
    only have 1 ATA100). I really want to have at least 2 HD's so I can
    emergency boot if necessary and/or check out OS upgrades without
    messing with the primary drive. Realistically, the Ultra SCSI can only
    transfer at 20MBps and the ATA50 at 50MBps (do I have that right?). So
    in real world use, it sounds like the ATA would be a better choice than
    a "cheaper" SCSI to match the card. However, if I knew the definitive
    answer to those questions, I wouldn't be here. Any advice or
    suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bull**** before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing the invalid with sonic.

  2. Re: HD Configurations for a new G4 - Advice Needed

    For what reason do you need/want SCSI?

    There are some reasons to use it, but it is expensive. Just connecting a single
    38gb drive doesn't seem like a good use of funds to me.

    The G4 MDD has 3 ATA busses, one is ultra ATA 100, the other is ultra ATA 66,
    each of which can support two hard drives, for a total of four. Each of these
    busses also supports LBA-48 for large drives over 128gb. With currently
    available drives, you could have 1.2 terrabytes of storage online using four
    300gb drives. ATA 100 can transfer up to 100 megabytes/second, ATA 66 can
    transfer up to 66 megabytes/second. This might seem like a big deal, but
    currently made disk technology maxes out around 50-60 megabytes/second on
    sustained transfers anyway. So it isn't that big of a deal.

    The third bus the optical drive is connected to is limited to DMA mode 2, or
    about 16 mb/s, which is more than sufficient for optical drives. It's not
    normally used for hard drives, so we can ignore that for now.

    Currently made ATA drives are big, fast and cheap. Most people are better
    served by ATA than SCSI because of the cost/performance differential.

    If you need to run a large raid for uncompressed high-quality video editing
    (we're talking big dollar systems here) then you'd definitely want a bunch of
    SCSI disks and a high-end controller.

    But I have to say that the majority of applications are going to be happier
    with the ATA configuration. I can't think of a good reason for spending for the
    SCSI option only for a single 36gb drive.

    >I was given a brand-new IBM UltraStar 38GB SCSI HD. It's still sealed
    >in the anti-static bag. The HD is an Ultra 160, 10,000 rpm drive. I
    >will be ordering a new, MDD DP in a couple of weeks. The G4 will come
    >with the Ultra SCSI card installed. The problem is that the SCSI card
    >is a 50-pin card and the HD is a 68-pin drive. The obvious solution is
    >to buy a 68-pin SCSI card (preferably an Ultra160). However, the budget
    >is tight after the G4 purchase so buying a card to fit the HD is out of
    >the question :-(
    >
    >What to do? The G4 comes with an 80GB ATA100 drive. Should I sell the
    >UltraStar and get a 50-pin SCSI drive to match the card, or should I
    >sell the UltraStar and get another ATA drive with a big cache and put
    >it on the other ATA bus which I believe is an ATA50 (I think you can
    >only have 1 ATA100). I really want to have at least 2 HD's so I can
    >emergency boot if necessary and/or check out OS upgrades without
    >messing with the primary drive. Realistically, the Ultra SCSI can only
    >transfer at 20MBps and the ATA50 at 50MBps (do I have that right?). So
    >in real world use, it sounds like the ATA would be a better choice than
    >a "cheaper" SCSI to match the card. However, if I knew the definitive
    >answer to those questions, I wouldn't be here. Any advice or
    >suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    >--
    >Deja Moo: I've seen this bull**** before.

  3. Re: HD Configurations for a new G4 - Advice Needed

    In article <20031020175901.09869.00000459@mb-m24.aol.com>, nuke
    wrote:

    > For what reason do you need/want SCSI?

    For no other reason than the drive was free. However, you do make some
    very good points. The whole idea was to be able to use this free drive
    in the cheapest way possible. If I don't have to spend anymore than
    about $100 for an OEM Ultra160 card (which OWC happens to have one in
    stock right now, the ATTO UL3D) and a cable, then the cost to me is
    still reasonable as opposed to spending more than the cost of the
    card/cable for a second ATA100 drive.

    Does that sustained data transfer also apply to the UltraSCSI drive/bus
    as well? I know it can't achieve it's theoretical but wouldn't it still
    be faster than the ATA100?

    Maybe I can find someone to trade me the SCSI HD for a comparable
    ATA100 with a 4 or 8 MB cache.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bull**** before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing the invalid with sonic.

  4. Re: HD Configurations for a new G4 - Advice Needed

    << Does that sustained data transfer also apply to the UltraSCSI drive/bus
    as well? I know it can't achieve it's theoretical but wouldn't it still
    be faster than the ATA100? >>

    It depends on the drive. A 10K rpm SCSI drive from more than a year ago
    probably isn't as fast as a 7200 rpm ATA drive from today.

    10K means less latency and SCSI does have some speed advantages over ATA, but
    the real world benefit is pretty slim when you are talking a single disk.

    $100 well easily net you a brand new 160gb ATA drive, and maybe some change or
    a nice little rebate in the mail.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.