Confused About Partitioning and HD configuration... - Storage

This is a discussion on Confused About Partitioning and HD configuration... - Storage ; I just bought an external firewire/USB hard drive for use with my Quicksilver. I went with an external so my spouse could use it to backup his iBook as well. And I am just now going to make the switch ...

  1. Confused About Partitioning and HD configuration...

    I just bought an external firewire/USB hard drive for use with my
    Quicksilver. I went with an external so my spouse could use it to
    backup his iBook as well. And I am just now going to make the switch to
    OS X (I have ordered Panther). But I know almost nothing about X
    despite that I am a long time Mac user and that 10.1 is installed on my
    main drive. It has been a long time since I read the mac NGs due to
    lack of time. Here are the first of my stupid questions:

    1. If I format and partition the new drive in X, will 9.2.2 or classic
    recognize the partitions on it?

    2. My DH has a graphite iBook he wants to back up on the new drive (via
    the USB port). I am guessing I need to install a driver in his book
    (9.2) so he can mount the HD, right? IIRC, I think his USB is a lot
    older than the version on the new drive. Will that be a problem?

    3. My G4 came with the (one) 60 GB HD already formatted with just one
    partition and with OS X and 9 (now 9.2.2) on the same partition. I had
    intended on using the new drive primarily for backup but I have been
    reading that it is better to have X and 9 on separate partitions. I
    also have two small legacy SCSI drives I have been using for backup but
    one is fast outgrowing that purpose. Should I entertain the notion of
    reformatting the internal 60 GB AT drive to set up a separate partition
    for Panther?

    I'd also appreciate any URLs that have resources that might help me make
    a better switch or anwser these kinds of questions for me. Thanks

    Madeleine

  2. Re: Confused About Partitioning and HD configuration...

    In article , Madwen
    wrote:

    > I just bought an external firewire/USB hard drive for use with my
    > Quicksilver. I went with an external so my spouse could use it to
    > backup his iBook as well. And I am just now going to make the switch to
    > OS X (I have ordered Panther). But I know almost nothing about X
    > despite that I am a long time Mac user and that 10.1 is installed on my
    > main drive. It has been a long time since I read the mac NGs due to
    > lack of time. Here are the first of my stupid questions:
    >
    > 1. If I format and partition the new drive in X, will 9.2.2 or classic
    > recognize the partitions on it?

    Yes, as long as you pick the standard partitions. I think HFS+ is what
    they're called. Oddball partitions aren't recognized by OS9, but the
    installer recommends the right partitions, so don't worry.

    > 2. My DH has a graphite iBook he wants to back up on the new drive (via
    > the USB port). I am guessing I need to install a driver in his book
    > (9.2) so he can mount the HD, right? IIRC, I think his USB is a lot
    > older than the version on the new drive. Will that be a problem?

    I don't know, but I would guess that the drivers on a graphite iBook
    are fine. I have a Wallstreet (Powerbook g3 series II) which is way
    older and when I use appletalk to network with my G4 867DP MDD they
    both use each other's drives with no problem. But there is no USB
    involved, so it really isn't the same thing. My Wallstreet doesn't
    have USB.

    > 3. My G4 came with the (one) 60 GB HD already formatted with just one
    > partition and with OS X and 9 (now 9.2.2) on the same partition. I had
    > intended on using the new drive primarily for backup but I have been
    > reading that it is better to have X and 9 on separate partitions. I
    > also have two small legacy SCSI drives I have been using for backup but
    > one is fast outgrowing that purpose. Should I entertain the notion of
    > reformatting the internal 60 GB AT drive to set up a separate partition
    > for Panther?

    When I got my G4 I learned through these blessed newsgroups that
    multiple partitions are the way to go. (And multiple hard drives,
    too.) It is TRUE. It saved my ass from losing a whole drive. I have
    an 80 gig and 60 gig, each with an OSX and OS9 partition. It's like
    having extra lifeboats on a ship. It's better to have a different
    partition solely for each respective OS, then the rest for data. What
    I can't tell you for sure is the optimal size for each of these
    partitions. OS9 can live with 1 gig, but I don't know what the best
    size is for OSX. I went with 4 gig for my rescue OSX, and my daily use
    OSX is mixed with data on a 70 gig partition that I back up sometimes.
    That way I know OSX gets all it needs on that big partition. So I have
    5 partitions on 2 drives. All I know is that I can back out of a bad
    situation.