"Put the hard disk to sleep when possible"? - Storage

This is a discussion on "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible"? - Storage ; The Energy Saver control panel lets you specify if the hard drive should be put to sleep whenever possible. The details for a drive I have are... Idle The drive is spinning, the actuator is parked and powered off and ...

  1. "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible"?

    The Energy Saver control panel lets you specify if the hard drive
    should be put to sleep whenever possible.

    The details for a drive I have are...

    Idle
    The drive is spinning, the actuator is parked and powered off and all
    other circuitry is powered on.
    The drive is capable of responding to read commands within 40 ms.

    Standby
    The motor is not spinning. The drive will leave this mode upon receipt
    of a command that requires disk access. The time-out value for this
    mode is programmable. The buffer is active to accept write data.

    Sleep
    This is the lowest power state * with the interface set to inactive. A
    software or hardware reset is required to return the drive to the Standby
    state.
    4.7 EPA Energy Star Compliance

    So does "sleep" mean "sleep" as the drive manufacturer means it,
    or does it mean standby? Both consume the same amount of power.

    Also does anyone know if Panther allows a finer level of control
    over the hard disc drive than "put all to sleep" or "put none to
    sleep"?

    Dale

    --
    dstanbro@spam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au

  2. Re: "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible"?

    In article ,
    Dale Stanbrough wrote:

    > The Energy Saver control panel lets you specify if the hard drive
    > should be put to sleep whenever possible.
    >
    > The details for a drive I have are...
    >
    > Idle
    > The drive is spinning, the actuator is parked and powered off and all
    > other circuitry is powered on.
    > The drive is capable of responding to read commands within 40 ms.
    >

    > Standby
    > The motor is not spinning. The drive will leave this mode upon receipt
    > of a command that requires disk access. The time-out value for this
    > mode is programmable. The buffer is active to accept write data.
    >

    > Sleep
    > This is the lowest power state * with the interface set to inactive. A
    > software or hardware reset is required to return the drive to the Standby
    > state.
    > 4.7 EPA Energy Star Compliance
    >

    > So does "sleep" mean "sleep" as the drive manufacturer means it,
    > or does it mean standby? Both consume the same amount of power.
    >
    > Also does anyone know if Panther allows a finer level of control
    > over the hard disc drive than "put all to sleep" or "put none to
    > sleep"?
    >
    > Dale

    Go to and you will be able to find terminal commands
    that will allow you to control more finely when your disk goes to sleep.

    Bob Harris

  3. Re: "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible"?

    Bob Harris wrote:

    > Go to and you will be able to find terminal commands
    > that will allow you to control more finely when your disk goes to sleep.

    thanks Bob!

    dale

    --
    dstanbro@spam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au