Setting up a 6400? - Storage

This is a discussion on Setting up a 6400? - Storage ; I'm setting up a PowerMac/Performa 6400 for my brother. I've run into a few issues I need some help with. 1. The empty bay at the top is ideal for transferring the IDE CDR/CDRW drive from his PC. The 6400's ...

  1. Setting up a 6400?

    I'm setting up a PowerMac/Performa 6400 for my brother. I've run into a few
    issues I need some help with.

    1.
    The empty bay at the top is ideal for transferring the IDE CDR/CDRW drive
    from his PC. The 6400's hard drive is IDE, so I presume the on-mboard
    controller will support another device.

    Is the hard disk configured as Master? Must it always be? I understand that
    in order for the CDR/CDRW drive to boot a CD, it must be configured as
    Master. Can I change the HD to Slave and configure the CDR/CDRW as Master?

    How do I add a connector for another IDE device? (For those unfamiliar with
    the 6400, the IDE cable is crimped to the mboard edge connector, and is not
    removable. The IDE cable is short and has one female connector, for the HD.)
    I presume that a Y-cable is needed, with one male and two female connectors.
    Is this configuration of cable commonly available?

    (I'm familiar with modifying OS 9 driver files for CD drives, so I'll address
    that once I can get the drive hooked up)

    2.
    The OE CD-ROM drive won't boot. I've tried all kind of OS install CD's from
    7.6 to 9.1, but the computer won't even display a "?"; just a black screen
    until I force the CD drive to spit out the CD and then it will boot from the
    hard disk.

    Any suggestions re. getting these mini-projects going would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  2. Re: Setting up a 6400?

    Yes, I've seen http://www.zone6400.com/ but it is not indexed and is quite
    tedious searching those archived pages...
    --
    Dave C
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  3. Re: Setting up a 6400?

    DaveC wrote:

    > I'm setting up a PowerMac/Performa 6400 for my brother. I've run into a few
    > issues I need some help with.
    >
    > 1.
    > The empty bay at the top is ideal for transferring the IDE CDR/CDRW drive
    > from his PC. The 6400's hard drive is IDE, so I presume the on-mboard
    > controller will support another device.

    No. It only supports one drive. The top bay is intended for a SCSI
    device. If you look t the supplied wiring you'll notice that ...

    > Is the hard disk configured as Master? Must it always be? I understand that
    > in order for the CDR/CDRW drive to boot a CD, it must be configured as
    > Master. Can I change the HD to Slave and configure the CDR/CDRW as Master?

    See above. your question is moot. Almost. See below

    > How do I add a connector for another IDE device? (For those unfamiliar with
    > the 6400, the IDE cable is crimped to the mboard edge connector, and is not
    > removable. The IDE cable is short and has one female connector, for the HD.)
    > I presume that a Y-cable is needed, with one male and two female connectors.
    > Is this configuration of cable commonly available?

    Same answer. However... if you install an ATA/100 or ATA/133 PCI
    card, you can connect as many IDE drives as you can cram into the
    machine (possibly 3 if you replace the floppy and CD ...).

    > (I'm familiar with modifying OS 9 driver files for CD drives, so I'll address
    > that once I can get the drive hooked up)
    >
    > 2.
    > The OE CD-ROM drive won't boot. I've tried all kind of OS install CD's from
    > 7.6 to 9.1, but the computer won't even display a "?"; just a black screen
    > until I force the CD drive to spit out the CD and then it will boot from the
    > hard disk.

    Looks like the CD drive has gone bad - or at least dirty.
    Do the CDs show up on the desktop if the computer boots from HD ?

    Have you tried:
    - pressing C at startup to force CD boot ?
    - resetting the PRAM with cmd-alt-P-R (or is it cmd-shift-P-R) at
    startup ?

  4. Re: Setting up a 6400?

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:52:10 -0700, Asterix wrote
    (in message <1g2opfs.zac42q1byxi1cN%Asterix@somewhere.net>):

    > No. It only supports one drive. The top bay is intended for a SCSI
    > device. If you look t the supplied wiring you'll notice that ...

    > See above. your question is moot. Almost. See below

    > Same answer. However... if you install an ATA/100 or ATA/133 PCI
    > card, you can connect as many IDE drives as you can cram into the
    > machine (possibly 3 if you replace the floppy and CD ...).

    > Looks like the CD drive has gone bad - or at least dirty.
    > Do the CDs show up on the desktop if the computer boots from HD ?
    >
    > Have you tried:
    > - pressing C at startup to force CD boot ?
    > - resetting the PRAM with cmd-alt-P-R (or is it cmd-shift-P-R) at
    > startup ?

    Thanks for your reply.

    Yes, I've tried these things. No change. Yes, after booting, CD's inserted
    will show up on the desktop.

    I'm a bit puzzled by this behavior. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  5. Re: Setting up a 6400?

    >> Same answer. However... if you install an ATA/100 or ATA/133 PCI
    >> card, you can connect as many IDE drives as you can cram into the
    >> machine (possibly 3 if you replace the floppy and CD ...).

    What brand ATA cards will work in the 6400? Brands?

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  6. Re: Setting up a 6400?

    The 6400 can have some bus issues.
    First, as has been mentioned, the upper bay is wired for a SCSI drive of
    some sort. Using a SCSI drive up there can have complications and I've not
    found it straight forward.

    The first problem is that you need to begin fretting termination problems
    and complications. I have found that using that upper bay and then hooking
    up an external drive with passive termination causes SCSI panic. No drive
    is recognized, or drives are recognized sometimes.

    If you have a drive in the upper bay and have found some way to cable it,
    and it's not set to the correct ID or you have it terminated, or the drive
    is applying or not applying termination power to the SCSI bus then you
    could be screwing up your CD-ROM.

    The 6400 has other SCSI termination issues. It does not supply Termpower
    to the external bus. So any externals you hang on there have to supply the
    5 volts for termination power. This can be a problem with external Zip
    drives and old Paperport Strobe scanners. You may also need to experiment
    with terminators on external drives. Some may work and some may not. There
    are active, passive and powered terminators. Best choice is a Granite $50
    diode analyzing thingy, but they may be hard to find and aren't absolutely
    necessary.

    Remember that the CD_ROM is supposed to be ID #3, set on the drive. If you
    haven't changed the setting and the machine has the original drive you
    should be able to boot from a system install disk (7.5 or higher) by
    holding down the C key with a disk in the drive on startup. Do not set any
    external SCSI device to 0 or 3.

    Oh, and the PRAM battery is alkaline. It's a 4.5 Volt Everready, not the
    standard 3.6V lithium. They last a few years but the machine will boot
    with a dead one.

    I don't know anyone who has ever tried putting a second IDE device into
    that upper bay. I suppose it's possible but it isn't common. Don't know if
    it's possible.

    You can run any OS from 7.5.3 to 9.2 on the 6400. You have 2 PCI slots and
    most people put a video card in one of those. The IX3D Prorez is cheap and
    does a good job. Other slot is often ethernet (a NIC, for PC people).
    There is a comm slot 2 down there near the bottom and that originally had
    a modem that nobody uses. Horrid thing. Lucky 6400 users replace it with a
    10/100 ethernet card, but those are rare. That gives them an extra PCI
    slot. Said extra slot can hold a firewire card. Very useful for hooking up
    external IDE drives in firewire enclosures.

    Have fun,

    John

    --
    Use plasma destruct ray on return address for direct mail response.

+ Reply to Thread