External Harddrive for Powerbook? - Storage

This is a discussion on External Harddrive for Powerbook? - Storage ; Hi all, I have a 15" TiBook (1GHz, Dual USB, Firewire, DVI) with a 60 GB disk drive. I do have backups of all important stuff on several UNIX servers (and they have off-site backups in huge juke boxes), so ...

  1. External Harddrive for Powerbook?

    Hi all,

    I have a 15" TiBook (1GHz, Dual USB, Firewire, DVI) with a 60 GB disk
    drive. I do have backups of all important stuff on several UNIX
    servers (and they have off-site backups in huge juke boxes), so my
    important data is reasonably safe.

    Still, there is a lot of stuff that is not really important, like 15
    GB worth of my classical CD collection in MP3 format or the
    Fink-installed UNIX packages that would be a pain to recreate, but
    that our UNIX sysadmin would kill me for if I would copy it over to
    our servers. So I'm looking for an independent backup solution that
    would allow me to keep all my data (and system) save while I play with
    things like Linux or Panther installs, reformatting with UFS, and so
    on.

    I think an 80 GB Firewire/USB hard drive would solve this problem for
    me. What do you think? Any particular suggestions? What are current
    prices for this stuff? My first impression is that prices seem to
    hover between US$ 200 and US$ 250 -- am I right? What are good prices
    in the UK or in Germany?

    Thanks,

    Stephan
    --
    -------------------------- It can be done! ---------------------------------
    Please email me as schulz@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephan Schulz)

  2. Re: External Harddrive for Powerbook?

    In article ,
    schulz@sunbroy2.informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephan Schulz) wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a 15" TiBook (1GHz, Dual USB, Firewire, DVI) with a 60 GB disk
    > drive. I do have backups of all important stuff on several UNIX
    > servers (and they have off-site backups in huge juke boxes), so my
    > important data is reasonably safe.
    >
    > Still, there is a lot of stuff that is not really important, like 15
    > GB worth of my classical CD collection in MP3 format or the
    > Fink-installed UNIX packages that would be a pain to recreate, but
    > that our UNIX sysadmin would kill me for if I would copy it over to
    > our servers. So I'm looking for an independent backup solution that
    > would allow me to keep all my data (and system) save while I play with
    > things like Linux or Panther installs, reformatting with UFS, and so
    > on.
    >
    > I think an 80 GB Firewire/USB hard drive would solve this problem for
    > me. What do you think? Any particular suggestions? What are current
    > prices for this stuff? My first impression is that prices seem to
    > hover between US$ 200 and US$ 250 -- am I right? What are good prices
    > in the UK or in Germany?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stephan

    Go to dealmac.com and search for firewire enclosures. You should be
    able to find one in the $50 or less range. Then search for 3.5" EIDE
    internal disks. You should be able to find them w/rebates in the less
    than $100 range for 120GB.

    Putting your own disk and firewire enclosure together is really easy.

    If you really do not want t put it together yourself, then search for
    Firewire Disks on dealmac.com and look for prices that are not too much
    more than putting them together your self. The extra labor to assemble
    the 2 parts it not worth too much of a premium.

    I've got 100GB and 120GB external drives at home that I use for backup
    via Retrospect from dantz.com (highly recommended; but not the only
    backup utility).

    Good luck.

    Bob Harris

  3. Re: External Harddrive for Powerbook?

    In article , Bob
    Harris wrote:
    >In article ,
    > schulz@sunbroy2.informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephan Schulz) wrote:

    [...]
    >> I think an 80 GB Firewire/USB hard drive would solve this problem for
    >> me. What do you think? Any particular suggestions? What are current
    >> prices for this stuff? My first impression is that prices seem to
    >> hover between US$ 200 and US$ 250 -- am I right? What are good prices
    >> in the UK or in Germany?

    >Go to dealmac.com and search for firewire enclosures. You should be
    >able to find one in the $50 or less range. Then search for 3.5" EIDE
    >internal disks. You should be able to find them w/rebates in the less
    >than $100 range for 120GB.

    [...]

    Thanks. I found a supplier here in the UK that has reasonable
    deals, e.g. the

    Dvico MM FX-2 60GB External FireWire & USB 2.0 HDD (7200RPM) - for
    115.00 (British pounds)+ vat (17.5%). Slightly more expensive then
    what you described, but without "rebattes" and, as sold in the EU, at
    least 2 years of warranty.

    Does anybody have good or bad experiences with Dvico?

    Now I just have to decide how big a disk I want - I hate it when the
    incremental cost is so small it pushes you beyond reasonable into
    "could come in handy" land ;-)

    Bye,

    Stephan