MAC OS not booting from Slave HDD - Storage

This is a discussion on MAC OS not booting from Slave HDD - Storage ; Hi all, I have a Power mac G4 system with MAC OS X 10.2.6(Build 6L60) & MAC OS Z1 - 9.2.2 installed in Macintosh HD. Built in RAM 256MB,80GB HD. I added another harddisk named HD20 as slave to the ...

  1. MAC OS not booting from Slave HDD

    Hi all,
    I have a Power mac G4 system with MAC OS X 10.2.6(Build 6L60) & MAC OS
    Z1 - 9.2.2 installed in Macintosh HD. Built in RAM 256MB,80GB HD.

    I added another harddisk named HD20 as slave to the system. It
    contains the MAC OS images 10.1.5(build 5s66) ,9.2.1 & 9.2.2. I booted
    the system with master HD.
    It is showing HD20 in Desktop,showing the OS images present in the
    HD20 in startup disk. I tried to boot MAC OS from the slave HD(HD20).
    It is not booting for OSX & OS9(HD20). It is showing broken folder
    while starting. Sometimes question mark in the folder.

    I tried to startup from both oSX & OS9 of Master HD. It is not booting
    from slave HD(HD20). Then i connected the HD20 as Master. That too not
    worked.

    I did the following to trobleshoot:
    1. I checked my system files present in HD20 HD

    mach_kernel (an invisible file)
    Applications (a visible folder)
    automount (an invisible folder)
    Library (a visible folder)
    System (a visible folder)
    Users (a visible folder)

    all are available in my HD20 HD.

    2. I Reset the NVRAM and PRAM & reselected startup volume. That too
    not worked.
    same problem.

    I am not able to rectify this problem. Please if anybody know the
    reason,help me.

    Advance thanks.

    Jothi
    STMicro

  2. Re: MAC OS not booting from Slave HDD

    1. When you say "Mac OS Images" do you literally mean .dmg files? If so, that
    will not work. You must run the installer on the disk you wish to run the OS
    on. The .dmg files are meant for distribution of software, not as executable
    volumes.

    2. If the OS is actually installed on the the HD20 volume, it is possible that
    10.1.5 is too old for your hardware. Which version of the OS came with your G4
    on the CD's? That would generally be the oldest version of the OS that can
    support your system.

    Try erasing your HD20 disk and installing the OS from the restore CD's that
    shipped with your G4 onto the HD20 disk. That should work.

    The G4's have no issues booting from master or slave disks. Doesn't matter as
    long as the drive works correctly and the right software is correctly
    installed.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.

  3. Re: MAC OS not booting from Slave HDD

    Hi,
    I tried to install 10.1.3 Mac os in new formated hard disk. It is not
    getting installed. I booted it from CD & It is creating Kernal panic.

    CD came with mac machine is 10.2.6

    Jothi
    larrysb@aol.commode (nuke) wrote in message news:<20031020180556.09869.00000460@mb-m24.aol.com>...
    > 1. When you say "Mac OS Images" do you literally mean .dmg files? If so, that
    > will not work. You must run the installer on the disk you wish to run the OS
    > on. The .dmg files are meant for distribution of software, not as executable
    > volumes.
    >
    > 2. If the OS is actually installed on the the HD20 volume, it is possible that
    > 10.1.5 is too old for your hardware. Which version of the OS came with your G4
    > on the CD's? That would generally be the oldest version of the OS that can
    > support your system.
    >
    > Try erasing your HD20 disk and installing the OS from the restore CD's that
    > shipped with your G4 onto the HD20 disk. That should work.
    >
    > The G4's have no issues booting from master or slave disks. Doesn't matter as
    > long as the drive works correctly and the right software is correctly
    > installed.
    >

    > >Hi all,
    > >I have a Power mac G4 system with MAC OS X 10.2.6(Build 6L60) & MAC OS
    > >Z1 - 9.2.2 installed in Macintosh HD. Built in RAM 256MB,80GB HD.
    > >
    > >I added another harddisk named HD20 as slave to the system. It
    > >contains the MAC OS images 10.1.5(build 5s66) ,9.2.1 & 9.2.2. I booted
    > >the system with master HD.
    > >It is showing HD20 in Desktop,showing the OS images present in the
    > >HD20 in startup disk. I tried to boot MAC OS from the slave HD(HD20).
    > >It is not booting for OSX & OS9(HD20). It is showing broken folder
    > >while starting. Sometimes question mark in the folder.
    > >
    > >I tried to startup from both oSX & OS9 of Master HD. It is not booting
    > >from slave HD(HD20). Then i connected the HD20 as Master. That too not
    > >worked.
    > >
    > >I did the following to trobleshoot:
    > >1. I checked my system files present in HD20 HD
    > >
    > >mach_kernel (an invisible file)
    > >Applications (a visible folder)
    > >automount (an invisible folder)
    > >Library (a visible folder)
    > >System (a visible folder)
    > >Users (a visible folder)
    > >
    > >all are available in my HD20 HD.
    > >
    > >2. I Reset the NVRAM and PRAM & reselected startup volume. That too
    > >not worked.
    > >same problem.
    > >
    > >I am not able to rectify this problem. Please if anybody know the
    > >reason,help me.
    > >
    > >Advance thanks.
    > >
    > >Jothi
    > >STMicro

  4. Re: MAC OS not booting from Slave HDD

    << Hi,
    I tried to install 10.1.3 Mac os in new formated hard disk. It is not
    getting installed. I booted it from CD & It is creating Kernal panic.

    CD came with mac machine is 10.2.6 >>

    10.1.3 is too old to run your machine, most likely.

    You need to install the version that came with the system, or a later release
    in order for it to work.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.
    Spam forgeries have resulted in thousands of faked bounces to my address.

+ Reply to Thread