Pioneer A06 and new G4 cases - Storage

This is a discussion on Pioneer A06 and new G4 cases - Storage ; Just got a Pioneer A06 Drive and tried to put it into my new G4 Dual 1.25 PowerMac, the one with the mirrored doors. The door won't open up as the drive door is bigger then the opening. Apple system ...

  1. Pioneer A06 and new G4 cases

    Just got a Pioneer A06 Drive and tried to put it into my new G4 Dual
    1.25 PowerMac, the one with the mirrored doors. The door won't open
    up as the drive door is bigger then the opening.

    Apple system profiler sees the drive so I will assume that the drive
    will work fine with iDVD but can't test it. As of now my only
    solution is to grip the edges of the CD front door to get it to open.
    You won't see this when the drive is closed so it probably isn't a big
    deal.

    I can't be the first one with this problem. Any thoughts?

    Len

  2. Re: Pioneer A06 and new G4 cases

    10 Oct 2003 06:50:45 -0700, len@debotton.com suggested:
    :
    : Apple system profiler sees the drive so I will assume that the drive
    : will work fine with iDVD but can't test it. As of now my only
    : solution is to grip the edges of the CD front door to get it to open.
    : You won't see this when the drive is closed so it probably isn't a big
    : deal.
    :
    : I can't be the first one with this problem. Any thoughts?

    Did you remove the plastic front plate from the drive tray? I found that
    this was necessary to put a Plextor CD-RW drive in my beige G3.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  3. Re: Pioneer A06 and new G4 cases

    In article ,
    len@debotton.com (Len) wrote:

    > Just got a Pioneer A06 Drive and tried to put it into my new G4 Dual
    > 1.25 PowerMac, the one with the mirrored doors. The door won't open
    > up as the drive door is bigger then the opening.

    Did you remove the front panel of the CD tray. It pops off with a good
    twist. Look at the stock optical drive to get the idea.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  4. Re: Pioneer A06 and new G4 cases

    andrewunix wrote in message news:...
    > 10 Oct 2003 06:50:45 -0700, len@debotton.com suggested:
    > : Just got a Pioneer A06 Drive and tried to put it into my new G4 Dual
    > : 1.25 PowerMac, the one with the mirrored doors. The door won't open
    > : up as the drive door is bigger then the opening.
    > :
    > : Apple system profiler sees the drive so I will assume that the drive
    > : will work fine with iDVD but can't test it. As of now my only
    > : solution is to grip the edges of the CD front door to get it to open.
    > : You won't see this when the drive is closed so it probably isn't a big
    > : deal.
    > :
    > : I can't be the first one with this problem. Any thoughts?
    >
    > Did you remove the plastic front plate from the drive tray? I found that
    > this was necessary to put a Plextor CD-RW drive in my beige G3.

    Thanks for the response. The new cases have an oval type opeining in
    front, and the door on the CD is square. The Combo drive is square
    that is in it but it is smaller.

    God Bless.

  5. Re: Pioneer A06 and new G4 cases

    10 Oct 2003 20:05:13 -0700, len@debotton.com suggested:
    : andrewunix wrote in message news:...
    :> 10 Oct 2003 06:50:45 -0700, len@debotton.com suggested:
    :> : Just got a Pioneer A06 Drive and tried to put it into my new G4 Dual
    :> : 1.25 PowerMac, the one with the mirrored doors. The door won't open
    :> : up as the drive door is bigger then the opening.
    :> :
    :> : Apple system profiler sees the drive so I will assume that the drive
    :> : will work fine with iDVD but can't test it. As of now my only
    :> : solution is to grip the edges of the CD front door to get it to open.
    :> : You won't see this when the drive is closed so it probably isn't a big
    :> : deal.
    :> :
    :> : I can't be the first one with this problem. Any thoughts?
    :>
    :> Did you remove the plastic front plate from the drive tray? I found that
    :> this was necessary to put a Plextor CD-RW drive in my beige G3.
    :
    : Thanks for the response. The new cases have an oval type opeining in
    : front, and the door on the CD is square. The Combo drive is square
    : that is in it but it is smaller.

    Right, but the 'square' door on most drives can be removed, leaving just
    the tray. If you look at it carefully, I would expect that there are a
    couple of tabs holding it on such that it can easily be popped off
    without damage.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  6. Re: Pioneer A06 and new G4 cases

    Phil Lefebvre wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > len@debotton.com (Len) wrote:
    >
    > > Just got a Pioneer A06 Drive and tried to put it into my new G4 Dual
    > > 1.25 PowerMac, the one with the mirrored doors. The door won't open
    > > up as the drive door is bigger then the opening.

    > Did you remove the front panel of the CD tray. It pops off with a good
    > twist. Look at the stock optical drive to get the idea.

    What a big help!! Thank you so much!!! I was just about to take my
    dremil drill to it and cut the door off. I would have never realized
    I could snap off that front door. I noticed now in OSX on the top it
    says Eject Combo Drive and Eject Super Drive so I can safely assume my
    DVD burner works.
    Can't wait to go buy some DVD-R disks and try it out.

+ Reply to Thread