Photoshop files and Cross platform portability - Storage

This is a discussion on Photoshop files and Cross platform portability - Storage ; Hi, I'm a beginning photography student and I've been instructed to by a 80GB external hard drive onto which to store my photoshop files and photographic images. I must get a drive w/7200rpm and a firewire port. The machine I'll ...

  1. Photoshop files and Cross platform portability

    Hi,
    I'm a beginning photography student and I've been instructed to by a
    80GB external hard drive onto which to store my photoshop files and
    photographic images. I must get a drive w/7200rpm and a firewire port.
    The machine I'll be working on in class is a Mac, but I don't know
    what OS is being used.

    I'd like to be able to view and/or transfer those files to my pc at
    home since I'm setup there w/photoshop. However, at home I'm running
    win98 (or win XP Home Edition on my laptop) and I don't currently have
    a firewire card on my pc.

    What hardware (and software) should I buy to be able to access my
    photoshop files (and image files) seemlessly between platforms
    (assuming this is possible)? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Photoshop files and Cross platform portability

    frenchcocoa wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm a beginning photography student and I've been instructed to by a
    > 80GB external hard drive onto which to store my photoshop files and
    > photographic images. I must get a drive w/7200rpm and a firewire port.
    > The machine I'll be working on in class is a Mac, but I don't know
    > what OS is being used.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to view and/or transfer those files to my pc at
    > home since I'm setup there w/photoshop. However, at home I'm running
    > win98 (or win XP Home Edition on my laptop) and I don't currently have
    > a firewire card on my pc.
    >
    > What hardware (and software) should I buy to be able to access my
    > photoshop files (and image files) seemlessly between platforms
    > (assuming this is possible)? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Mwah if I understand you correctly.........hardware is just
    the media, if you use a CD (formatted in the right way,
    always forget, ISO 9960??) you can read and write it on both
    platforms. Discs (including ZIP discs) will always read fine
    on a Mac, but a Mac formatted disc will not read on a PC
    (however, there is a proggie now that seems to do that trick).

    Software? Nothing. If you have Photoshop on both platforms
    you are fine. OS does not matter. The same for any Adobe
    software (and more). Make sure you have the same version.

    In case you should email something from the one to the
    other, zip or stuff it.
    --
    steg

  3. Re: Photoshop files and Cross platform portability

    steggy wrote:

    > frenchcocoa wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm a beginning photography student and I've been instructed to by a
    > > 80GB external hard drive onto which to store my photoshop files and
    > > photographic images. I must get a drive w/7200rpm and a firewire port.
    > > The machine I'll be working on in class is a Mac, but I don't know
    > > what OS is being used.
    > >
    > > I'd like to be able to view and/or transfer those files to my pc at
    > > home since I'm setup there w/photoshop. However, at home I'm running
    > > win98 (or win XP Home Edition on my laptop) and I don't currently have
    > > a firewire card on my pc.
    > >
    > > What hardware (and software) should I buy to be able to access my
    > > photoshop files (and image files) seemlessly between platforms
    > > (assuming this is possible)? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Mwah if I understand you correctly.........hardware is just
    > the media, if you use a CD (formatted in the right way,
    > always forget, ISO 9960??) you can read and write it on both
    > platforms. Discs (including ZIP discs) will always read fine
    > on a Mac, but a Mac formatted disc will not read on a PC
    > (however, there is a proggie now that seems to do that trick).
    >
    > Software? Nothing. If you have Photoshop on both platforms
    > you are fine. OS does not matter. The same for any Adobe
    > software (and more). Make sure you have the same version.
    >
    > In case you should email something from the one to the
    > other, zip or stuff it.
    > --
    > steg

    Of course you need the thing I am struggling with for weeks
    now, a CD burner (R or better yet RW).
    --
    steg

  4. Re: Photoshop files and Cross platform portability

    googlenews2002@yahoo.com (frenchcocoa) wrote:

    >What hardware (and software) should I buy to be able to access my
    >photoshop files (and image files) seemlessly between platforms
    >(assuming this is possible)? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly
    >appreciated.

    A CD burner.

    Burn your .psd, .jpg, .tif and other photos on the CD on your PC. The
    Mac you'll be using in class can read the ISO 9660 or Joliet CD-ROM
    that will be burned by your PC, and you can transfer them to the FW
    drive there.

    Or, I suppose an alternative would be to buy yourself a FW card for
    your PC and format the hard drive in a PC format; the Mac should be
    able to recognize it.

    It has always been my experience, though, that file transfers take
    significantly longer when they are between PC-formatted media (like
    floppies, Zip disks, etc.) and a Mac, than between Mac-formatted media
    and a Mac.

    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    Vote Ernie Fletcher for Governor of Kentucky! http://www.fletcher2003.com

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...

+ Reply to Thread