What Hard Drives are compatable with Apple Drive Setup? - Storage

This is a discussion on What Hard Drives are compatable with Apple Drive Setup? - Storage ; I have a G4/466 and I'd like to upgrade its hard drive from the OEM 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm one. The problem is that I'm unsure as to what drives can be formatted by the latest version Apple Drive ...

  1. What Hard Drives are compatable with Apple Drive Setup?

    I have a G4/466 and I'd like to upgrade its hard drive from the OEM
    5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm one. The problem is that I'm unsure as to
    what drives can be formatted by the latest version Apple Drive Setup
    (or whatever they're now calling the HD Driver that are found on a Mac
    system disk). I could just format it with SoftRaid, but I'm not sure
    if the version of SoftRaid that I have will support OSX, and I don't
    like being quite so dependent on third-party drivers.

    Is there anywhere I can find a list of drives that can be formated by
    Apple Drive Setup?

    Thanks,
    Peter

  2. Re: What Hard Drives are compatable with Apple Drive Setup?

    Any currently manufactured 3.5-inch ATA drive is compatible, will work in your
    machine and can be formatted by drive setup. (IDE is a tradename for ATA, like
    Xerox is for copiers.)

    Your machine doesn't have support for drives larger than 137 gigabytes. If you
    put in a larger drive, it will function but it will be limited to 137 gigabytes
    in size.

    You can use either Disk Utility in OSX or Drive Setup in OS9 to setup the
    drive.

    Just buy any Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate or Hitachi drive you like and can
    get a good deal on. The Seagate Barracuda drives are fast and very quiet, I
    like them a lot.

    Set the jumpers, bolt it in, plug in the cables and you're good to go.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.

  3. Re: What Hard Drives are compatable with Apple Drive Setup?

    larrysb@aol.commode (nuke) wrote:

    >Your machine doesn't have support for drives larger than 137 gigabytes. If you
    >put in a larger drive, it will function but it will be limited to 137 gigabytes
    >in size.

    ><< I have a G4/466...

    I, too, have a G4/466 (digital audio) and am running out of room
    despite having the stock drive, a 20 GB drive in the second drive bay,
    and 20 GB, 80 GB and 100 GB external FW drives.

    Does this 137 GB limitation apply to external FW drives? I'm thinking
    about taking the plunge on one of those 200 or 250 GB drives and
    either buying one already in a case, or buyiing a "raw' drive and
    putting it in a Pyro 1394 or similar box.

    This would be used on the G4 as well as a 700 MHz iBook.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    Vote Ernie Fletcher for Governor of Kentucky! http://www.fletcher2003.com

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

  4. Re: What Hard Drives are compatable with Apple Drive Setup?

    hbelkins@restrictorplates.mis.net (H.B. Elkins) writes:

    > Does this 137 GB limitation apply to external FW drives?

    No. It's an IDE/ATAPI interface issue, not a drive issue.

    > I'm thinking about taking the plunge on one of those 200 or 250 GB
    > drives and either buying one already in a case, or buyiing a "raw'
    > drive and putting it in a Pyro 1394 or similar box.

    If you put a large drive into a FireWire case, you must make sure
    that the ATAPI-FireWire bridge chipset supports 48-bit LBA mode.
    Otherwise it will also be limited to 137GB.

    If you buy a pre-assembled FireWire drive, it should be safe to
    assume that the manufactrer will build it with the correct bridge
    chipset for the drive.

    -- David

  5. Re: What Hard Drives are compatable with Apple Drive Setup?

    pgwerner1966@yahoo.com (Peter Werner) writes:

    > I have a G4/466 and I'd like to upgrade its hard drive from the OEM
    > 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm one. The problem is that I'm unsure as to
    > what drives can be formatted by the latest version Apple Drive Setup
    > (or whatever they're now calling the HD Driver that are found on a
    > Mac system disk). I could just format it with SoftRaid, but I'm not
    > sure if the version of SoftRaid that I have will support OSX, and I
    > don't like being quite so dependent on third-party drivers.

    Any drive up to 128GB (or 137GB, the way drive manufacturers measure
    drive size) should work.

    As far as I know, Apple's drive utilities will support any IDE hard
    drive. It's only non-Apple SCSI drives that require third-party
    formatters (or a hacked version of the Apple program.)

    -- David

  6. Re: What Hard Drives are compatable with Apple Drive Setup?

    << Does this 137 GB limitation apply to external FW drives? I'm thinking
    about taking the plunge on one of those 200 or 250 GB drives and
    either buying one already in a case, or buyiing a "raw' drive and
    putting it in a Pyro 1394 or similar box. >>

    The limitaton does not affect Firewire.

    However if you buy a case and install your own drive, be SURE the firewire case
    use a chip that fully supports large ATA drives.

    Many older/cheaper ones do NOT and are likewise limited to 137 g.

    If you buy one that's already 200gigs, you should be fine and have no issues.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.
    Spam forgeries have resulted in thousands of faked bounces to my address.

+ Reply to Thread