300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online - Storage

This is a discussion on 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online - Storage ; I need to store about 800 gigs of video on a G4 video editing box. QUESTION IS, can I put 3 300-GB drive into the spare G4 disk bays and have them recognized. I got from Apple support 800.767.2775 that ...

  1. 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    I need to store about 800 gigs of video on a G4 video editing box.

    QUESTION IS, can I put 3 300-GB drive into the spare G4 disk bays and have
    them recognized.

    I got from Apple support 800.767.2775 that OS 10.2 or higher is needed to
    format anything above 128 GBs. Also, that the Boot Rom in my G4 will
    support above 128 GB drives (but it's not officially supported by Apple
    tech).

    From the G4 specs http://www.apple.com/hardware/powermacg4/specs.html, this
    G4 supports up to 2 Ultra ATA/66 and 2 Ultra ATA/100 drives (under Storage
    and Expansion section)

    WONDERING, has anyone successfully added multiple 250, 300, or 320 gig
    drives??? (have already tried 400 GB firewire, they power down during
    editing and ruin the video out stream...)

    Any help much appreciated!!!

    320GB (EIDE, UDMA-133, 5400 RPM)
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...774915d69697d4

    300GB (EIDE, Ultra ATA/133, 5400 RPM)
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...774915d69697d4

    Caviar 250GB w/ 8MB Cache (EIDE, Ultra ATA/100, 7200 RPM)
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...774915d69697d4

    RE: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs
    online

  2. Re: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    << RE: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs
    online >>

    Yup. It will work, no problem. Your mirror-door G4 has full support in OSX for
    large drives.

    Just use OSX to format the drives to their full capacity.
    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.

  3. Re: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    Nuke,
    thanks for confirmation.
    quick follow-up, can you confirm that the drive will be recognized under OS
    9.2 after formating with 10.2? (reason being that Users want to avoid
    upgrade learning curve, I purchased 10.2 and will use it on another system
    for performing formats).
    Thanks!

    P.S. will OS 10.2 install on a G3?

    "nuke" wrote in message
    > << RE: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs
    > online >>

    > Yup. It will work, no problem. Your mirror-door G4 has full support in OSX

    for
    > large drives.
    >
    > Just use OSX to format the drives to their full capacity.
    > --
    > Dr. Nuketopia
    > Sorry, no e-Mail.
    > Spam forgeries have resulted in thousands of faked bounces to my address.

  4. Re: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    In article <5N3eb.7747$7W2.812@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>, "SFSocial@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > I need to store about 800 gigs of video on a G4 video editing box.
    >
    > QUESTION IS, can I put 3 300-GB drive into the spare G4 disk bays and have
    > them recognized.
    >
    > I got from Apple support 800.767.2775 that OS 10.2 or higher is needed to
    > format anything above 128 GBs. Also, that the Boot Rom in my G4 will
    > support above 128 GB drives (but it's not officially supported by Apple
    > tech).
    >
    > From the G4 specs http://www.apple.com/hardware/powermacg4/specs.html, this
    > G4 supports up to 2 Ultra ATA/66 and 2 Ultra ATA/100 drives (under Storage
    > and Expansion section)
    >
    > WONDERING, has anyone successfully added multiple 250, 300, or 320 gig
    > drives??? (have already tried 400 GB firewire, they power down during
    > editing and ruin the video out stream...)
    >
    > Any help much appreciated!!!

    I have not put anything bigger than a 120GB drive in my G4/400, but I
    do have a few observations...

    If your G4 has support for ATA/100 on the motherboard, then you can
    attach two 300 GB drives to that port.

    You could purchase a Mac-compatible PCI ATA/100 card and get a couple
    more ATA/100 ports. With a two-port card, you could have 3X300GB hooked
    to it, and another drive (a fully-support 120GB?) hooked to the
    motherboard.

    I would plan on booting off of one of the motherboard-attached drives.

    If you want to make another attempt at firewire, here are a couple of
    pointers.

    Run "Terminal" and enter "pmset -g" and look at the value reported for
    "spindown" - if it is non-zero (as mine was) do a :

    "sudo pmset -a spindown 0" (no quotes)

    It will prompt you for your password. This should prevent OSX from ever
    telling the drive to spin down. In theory, the checkbox in the Energy
    Saver preferences panel should do this, but in some cases they seem to
    get out of sync.

    I have also recently seen a problem with one of my firewire drives. When
    it idles itself down due to inactivity, it makes any "downstream" drives
    inaccessible. (this is a *bug*, AFAIAC)

    ---------- -------------- --------------
    | | | | | |
    | Mac G4 | ---- | FW drive A | ---- | FW Drive B |
    | | | | | |
    ---------- -------------- --------------

    If drive "A" idles down (due to internal spindown logic), then "B"
    becomes inaccessible.

    I discovered this when I was doing a 45GB copy from "B" to another
    drive (not "A") and found it would hang after 30 minutes or so.
    I had previously had "A" at the end of a FW chain.

    If the problem you are seeing with FW is the same as mine, then
    here are some things to try:

    See if the idle-down only happens to drives further down the chain
    (if you see a time-out on a drive directly connected to the Mac, then
    this isn't the (only) cause)

    See if you can re-enable access to the target drive by accessing
    other drives on the chain.

    If daisy chaining is the problem:

    Buy a PCI FW card, and hook each drive directly to the Mac (no daisy-
    chaining)

    or

    Leave the drives daisy-chained, but use Disk Utility to make all drives
    on a chain into software RAID array. This will keep all the drives on the
    chain busy.

    In my case, simply switching the order of "A" and "B" provided a
    workaround, as I only have one case that exhibits this bug.

    If you try any of the above, please post a follow-up and let us know
    what works and what doesn't.

    HTH.

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only

  5. Re: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    jimglidewell@comcast.net (Jim Glidewell) writes:

    > If daisy chaining is the problem:
    >
    > Buy a PCI FW card, and hook each drive directly to the Mac (no
    > daisy- chaining)
    >
    > or
    >
    > Leave the drives daisy-chained, but use Disk Utility to make all
    > drives on a chain into software RAID array. This will keep all the
    > drives on the chain busy.

    I would expect that a FireWire hub would also work. But not having
    any FW hard drives, I can't actually test this theory.

    > If you try any of the above, please post a follow-up and let us know
    > what works and what doesn't.

    Yes, please do.

    -- David

  6. Re: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    The version of OS9 that came **WITH** your mirror drive door has support for
    large drives, provided they were formatted using OSX 10.2 *on* your MDD-G4.

    If you use an off-the-shelf copy of OS9, it will not work correctly with the
    extended drives or the ATA/100 port in the computer.

    Your particular model of G4 supports extended addressing (48-bit LBA ) on every
    ATA controller port in the machine.

    Older G4's won't support the extended capacity of large drives in X or 9.
    They'll just appear as 137 gigabyte drives on older G4's.

    So put the drives in your MDD-G4, and format them in your MDD-G4 using OS X
    10.2 or later.

    << Nuke,
    thanks for confirmation.
    quick follow-up, can you confirm that the drive will be recognized under OS
    9.2 after formating with 10.2? (reason being that Users want to avoid
    upgrade learning curve, I purchased 10.2 and will use it on another system
    for performing formats).
    Thanks! >>

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.
    Spam forgeries have resulted in thousands of faked bounces to my address.

  7. Re: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    larrysb@aol.commode (nuke) writes:

    > Older G4's won't support the extended capacity of large drives in X
    > or 9. They'll just appear as 137 gigabyte drives on older G4's.

    Some people have reported success using them on late-model
    QuickSilver G4s. Others have reported problems. I suspect there was
    an undocumented firmware update at some point in the QuickSilver's
    lifetime.

    Systems older than the QuickSilver (graphite towers, etc.) will
    definitely behave as you described.

    -- David

  8. Re: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    << Some people have reported success using them on late-model
    QuickSilver G4s. Others have reported problems. I suspect there was
    an undocumented firmware update at some point in the QuickSilver's
    lifetime. >>

    This is most likley true.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.
    Spam forgeries have resulted in thousands of faked bounces to my address.

  9. Re: 300 GB drives in G4 vers 3.2, Dual 1.25 mirror - need min 800 GIGs online

    You might look at SCSI -- not just for the large volume support,
    but the performance issues. I admit I have no idea what OSX now has
    for SCSI support, however. I seem to recall it's not in the kernel
    but rather an add-on. (I use SCSI for supporting tape drives -- a
    far less demanding task..)