Remove Ext LaCie HD from case & install in new G5? - Storage

This is a discussion on Remove Ext LaCie HD from case & install in new G5? - Storage ; I have an external 60GB Firewire LaCie Drive containing Seagate ST360021A drive which I would like to remove from its Firewire housing and install inside my new G5 as a second drive. The drive size matches the envelope required by ...

  1. Remove Ext LaCie HD from case & install in new G5?

    I have an external 60GB Firewire LaCie Drive containing Seagate
    ST360021A drive which I would like to remove from its Firewire housing
    and install inside my new G5 as a second drive.

    The drive size matches the envelope required by Apple for physical fit.
    Plus Apple makes the installation simple by furnishing the 4 mounting
    ball-screws so mechanically it should fit.

    If I remove the drive from the LaCie case and install it in the G5
    attaching the power and data cables, will it startup OK or do I have to
    reformat it? If the later is required, what software do I use to format
    the drive?

    Any problems with jumpers, etc I should for?

    Thanks,

    David

  2. Re: Remove Ext LaCie HD from case & install in new G5?

    David Mayer wrote:
    > I have an external 60GB Firewire LaCie Drive containing Seagate
    > ST360021A drive which I would like to remove from its Firewire housing
    > and install inside my new G5 as a second drive.

    > The drive size matches the envelope required by Apple for physical fit.
    > Plus Apple makes the installation simple by furnishing the 4 mounting
    > ball-screws so mechanically it should fit.

    > If I remove the drive from the LaCie case and install it in the G5
    > attaching the power and data cables, will it startup OK or do I have to
    > reformat it? If the later is required, what software do I use to format
    > the drive?

    > Any problems with jumpers, etc I should for?

    The drive from your Firewire drive case is an ATA drive, and uses a 40
    pin connector. The G5 is set up to use Serial ATA (SATA) drives, those
    use a different connector. Short of getting a SATA to ATA adapter that
    will work in the G5, or adding a ATA PCI card to the G5, this will not
    work. You are better off leaving the drive in the Firewire case and
    buying a SATA drive if you want a second drive.

    Joe Heimann

  3. Re: Remove Ext LaCie HD from case & install in new G5?

    In article <3f78c182@news-1.oit.umass.edu>,
    "Joe Heimann" wrote:

    > David Mayer wrote:
    > > I have an external 60GB Firewire LaCie Drive containing Seagate
    > > ST360021A drive which I would like to remove from its Firewire housing
    > > and install inside my new G5 as a second drive.

    > > The drive size matches the envelope required by Apple for physical fit.
    > > Plus Apple makes the installation simple by furnishing the 4 mounting
    > > ball-screws so mechanically it should fit.

    > > If I remove the drive from the LaCie case and install it in the G5
    > > attaching the power and data cables, will it startup OK or do I have to
    > > reformat it? If the later is required, what software do I use to format
    > > the drive?

    > > Any problems with jumpers, etc I should for?

    > The drive from your Firewire drive case is an ATA drive, and uses a 40
    > pin connector. The G5 is set up to use Serial ATA (SATA) drives, those
    > use a different connector. Short of getting a SATA to ATA adapter that
    > will work in the G5, or adding a ATA PCI card to the G5, this will not
    > work. You are better off leaving the drive in the Firewire case and
    > buying a SATA drive if you want a second drive.
    >
    > Joe Heimann

    Thanks Joe!

    I had a feeling this might not work, but I was sure someone here would
    know for sure.

    I'll buy a new Serial Drive (SATA) tomorrow.

    Thanks again,

    David

+ Reply to Thread