Apple 400KB for Mac - Storage

This is a discussion on Apple 400KB for Mac - Storage ; Recently I've got Apple 400KB external 3.5-inch drive (M0130). As I know it works for original Macintosh. Does any Macintosh with external floppy drive port support it? Kim...

  1. Apple 400KB for Mac

    Recently I've got Apple 400KB external 3.5-inch drive (M0130).
    As I know it works for original Macintosh.
    Does any Macintosh with external floppy drive port support it?

    Kim

  2. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    In article , Kim Heui Jung
    wrote:

    > Recently I've got Apple 400KB external 3.5-inch drive (M0130).
    > As I know it works for original Macintosh.
    > Does any Macintosh with external floppy drive port support it?
    >
    > Kim

    The only Macs that used that were the Mac 128k, 512k, Mac Plus, Mac II,
    IIcx, and IIci, as far as I can remember.

    It used a special port on the Mac to connect.

  3. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    Kim Heui Jung writes:

    > Recently I've got Apple 400KB external 3.5-inch drive (M0130). As I
    > know it works for original Macintosh. Does any Macintosh with
    > external floppy drive port support it?

    Yeah, any Mac with the DB-19 floppy port (aka drive port, aka
    SmartPort) should support it, but I think you'll find that only the
    oldest models have them.

    A quick browse through Apple's specs
    (http://www.info.apple.com/support/ap...acy/index.html)
    shows that the following models have floppy ports:

    128
    512
    Plus
    SE
    SE/30
    Classic
    IIcx
    IIci
    IIsi
    Performa 200

    I didn't read throught the specs for every model, but it appears that
    no others have the floppy port.

    Keep in mind that System 6 was the last version capable of formatting
    a 400K disk, and 7 was the laste version capable of reading a 400K
    disk.

    Personally, I don't think the drive is terribly useful.

    -- David

  4. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    Ernie Leimkuhler writes:

    > The only Macs that used that were the Mac 128k, 512k, Mac Plus, Mac
    > II, IIcx, and IIci, as far as I can remember.

    Actually, the II didn't. It had room for two internal floppies and
    therefore had no port for an external floppy.

    -- David

  5. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    << > The only Macs that used that were the Mac 128k, 512k, Mac Plus, Mac
    > II, IIcx, and IIci, as far as I can remember.

    Actually, the II didn't. It had room for two internal floppies and
    therefore had no port for an external floppy.

    -- David >>

    Actually, only ONE Mac has support for 3 floppy drives.. Can anyone name it?

    Raymond

  6. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    In article <20030927040954.01440.00000169@mb-m17.aol.com>, Quadrajet1
    wrote:

    > Actually, only ONE Mac has support for 3 floppy drives.. Can anyone name it?

    oh thats too easy...mac se w/2 internal floppy drives & 1 external.

    what did i win?

  7. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    quadrajet1@aol.com (Quadrajet1) wrote:

    > Actually, only ONE Mac has support for 3 floppy drives.. Can anyone name
    > it?

    Mac SE. Got one, and I *did* buy a third drive too. In fact, I found a
    way to get it to have MORE, and did *that*, too. DaynaFile, anyone?

    --
    You are what you eat, therefore, I'm a vegetable! Cows and chickens
    and Pop Tarts are too.

  8. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    Right on, and I've got one with the power brick. Works great with my
    platinum Plus.

    n article ,
    Howard Shubs wrote:

    > In article <20030927040954.01440.00000169@mb-m17.aol.com>,
    > quadrajet1@aol.com (Quadrajet1) wrote:
    >
    > > Actually, only ONE Mac has support for 3 floppy drives.. Can anyone name
    > > it?

    > Mac SE. Got one, and I *did* buy a third drive too. In fact, I found a
    > way to get it to have MORE, and did *that*, too. DaynaFile, anyone?

    --
    My address is:
    pmanny at rogers dot com

  9. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    quadrajet1@aol.com (Quadrajet1) writes:

    > Actually, only ONE Mac has support for 3 floppy drives.. Can
    > anyone name it?

    My SE does.

    Although it's not a Mac, my IIgs has four floppy drives on it (two
    800K 3.5" drives and two 140K 5.25" drives.)

    -- David

  10. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    In article ,
    shaminonospam@nospam.techienospam.comnospam.invalid (David C.) wrote:

    > quadrajet1@aol.com (Quadrajet1) writes:
    > >
    > > Actually, only ONE Mac has support for 3 floppy drives.. Can
    > > anyone name it?

    > My SE does.
    >
    > Although it's not a Mac, my IIgs has four floppy drives on it (two
    > 800K 3.5" drives and two 140K 5.25" drives.)
    >
    > -- David

    I had an SE once that I customized with two floopy drives, and
    an internal 20Mb Harddrive. I added and Ethernet card in the expansion
    slot as well. I used that Mac as a Travel @ Setup Mac for years untill
    the Duo's came along.

    Bruce in alaska
    --
    add a <2> before @

  11. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    Bruce in Alaska writes:

    > I had an SE once that I customized with two floopy drives, and
    > an internal 20Mb Harddrive. I added and Ethernet card in the expansion
    > slot as well. I used that Mac as a Travel @ Setup Mac for years untill
    > the Duo's came along.

    Gee, I thought I waas the only one with that setup.

    My SE has two internal 1.44M floppies and a hard drive (was 30M when
    I bought it, since replaced with a 200M drive). And a MacCon-SE
    ethernet card.

    It was pretty difficult getting the Ethernet tranceiver to mount in
    the right place, with the hard drive bracket in the way, but it's all
    in there and works well.

    -- David

  12. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    In article <20030927040954.01440.00000169@mb-m17.aol.com>,
    quadrajet1@aol.com (Quadrajet1) wrote:

    > << > The only Macs that used that were the Mac 128k, 512k, Mac Plus, Mac
    > > II, IIcx, and IIci, as far as I can remember.

    > Actually, the II didn't. It had room for two internal floppies and
    > therefore had no port for an external floppy.
    >
    > -- David >>
    >
    > Actually, only ONE Mac has support for 3 floppy drives.. Can anyone name
    > it?

    spoiler space

    The Mac SE.

    --
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move a body.

  13. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    In article ,
    shaminonospam@nospam.techienospam.comnospam.invalid (David C.) wrote:

    > Keep in mind that System 6 was the last version capable of formatting
    > a 400K disk, and 7 was the laste version capable of reading a 400K
    > disk.
    >
    > Personally, I don't think the drive is terribly useful.

    With a bit of work (there may be a pin or two to move on the cable) you
    can install an 800K or 1.44 MB drive in the case. That makes kind of a
    cool external drive which is somewhat more useful than a 400K drive.

    Alternatively, one might find someone on the LEM Compact Macs list who
    wants it as several folks there collect. Unlikely that they don't already
    have one or several though.

    --
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move a body.

  14. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    trag@io.com (Jeff Walther) writes:

    > With a bit of work (there may be a pin or two to move on the cable)
    > you can install an 800K or 1.44 MB drive in the case. That makes
    > kind of a cool external drive which is somewhat more useful than a
    > 400K drive.

    Or just buy an external 800K drive. They're still available on
    eBay. (That's how I got one of my IIgs drives.)

    -- David

  15. Re: Apple 400KB for Mac

    In article , shamino@techie.com (David C.) wrote:

    > trag@io.com (Jeff Walther) writes:
    > >
    > > With a bit of work (there may be a pin or two to move on the cable)
    > > you can install an 800K or 1.44 MB drive in the case. That makes
    > > kind of a cool external drive which is somewhat more useful than a
    > > 400K drive.

    > Or just buy an external 800K drive. They're still available on
    > eBay. (That's how I got one of my IIgs drives.)

    But then it wouldn't be in that cool bulky 400K external case. It's all
    about the retro look... Like the guy who shoehorned an iMac's guts into an
    SE/30...

    --
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move a body.

+ Reply to Thread