Can tmp directory be relocated? - Storage

This is a discussion on Can tmp directory be relocated? - Storage ; When I first installed OSX, I partitioned my drive to allocate 10GB for the OS and apps, and the other partition was to be used for my files. I didn't have a DVD burner then and didn't anticipate needing 5GB ...

  1. Can tmp directory be relocated?

    When I first installed OSX, I partitioned my drive to allocate 10GB
    for the OS and apps, and the other partition was to be used for my
    files. I didn't have a DVD burner then and didn't anticipate needing
    5GB for my tmp directory.

    The problem is that now I only have 3GB free on the startup partition
    and cannot burn DVDs. I get the following error:

    Burning the disc cannot proceed because the startup disc is full.
    (Error code -34)

    Is there a way to relocate my tmp directory to a different partition
    or drive? (I am assuming that is the dir where the DVD files are
    copied to prior to burning)

  2. Re: Can tmp directory be relocated?

    Barney Gumble schreef:
    > Is there a way to relocate my tmp directory to a different partition
    > or drive?

    Yes, you can. Simply copy it to where you want, remove the old one and then
    make a symlink to the new location, with the ln -s command on the unix
    prompt.

+ Reply to Thread