G3 OS 9-Burns Music, Not Data-Help - Storage

This is a discussion on G3 OS 9-Burns Music, Not Data-Help - Storage ; I have a 2nd hand Mac, G3/233 beige desktop, OS 9.2.1, 224 MB RAM, 4 GB HD partitioned into 4 X 1 GB parts. The CD-RW that was installed by the previous owner is a Sony CRX1611 on the internal ...

  1. G3 OS 9-Burns Music, Not Data-Help

    I have a 2nd hand Mac, G3/233 beige desktop, OS 9.2.1, 224 MB RAM, 4
    GB HD partitioned into 4 X 1 GB parts.

    The CD-RW that was installed by the previous owner is a Sony CRX1611
    on the internal CD drive's databus. Initially all this CD would do on
    this unit was read data and play music. It is/was not supported by
    Sony on the Mac platform for burning, however it would on the PC
    platform.

    I obtained a hacked extension from XLR8YourMac.Com that has allowed me
    to burn music CD's, be it slowly (4X if that). Speed is not an issue
    for me.

    I assumed (bad move) that if I could burn a music CD that I could also
    burn a data Cd. Seems that is not the case.

    I noticed that in order for the CD to be even initialized I need 700
    MB of free space on a partition.

    Once I am by this it appears I can use Disk Burner to start the
    process of creating the necessary disk image to be burned (just
    following the on-screen leads from Dick Burner itself). However it
    seems to freeze up during the process.

    I tried to burn just 13 MB of data to a test CD-R and again to a CD-RW
    (both Memorex brand). I watched the process and it seems to be
    writing the tracks, and close obsrvation of the finished product is
    showing that it is taking 'something', but when it gets to the
    FINISHING stage it seems to freeze and all activity stops. The drive
    seems to start to spin up and then immediately spins down as if its
    caught in some loop. I allowed this to go on for about 10 minutes at
    one point. I cannot FORCE QUIT either when this happens. I had to
    CTRL-CMD-START to force a system restart (and all that goes with it).

    The resultant CD of course is a coffee cup coaster. It appears to
    have accepted the initialization but is otherwise blank due to the
    force restart.

    Any suggestions? I'm trying not to create anymore fancy coasters.

    DMK

  2. Re: G3 OS 9-Burns Music, Not Data-Help

    D. Kirkpatrick wrote:

    > I have a 2nd hand Mac, G3/233 beige desktop, OS 9.2.1, 224 MB RAM, 4
    > GB HD partitioned into 4 X 1 GB parts.

    Why would you want to break up a HD with so *little* space (measured by
    todays HDs) into 4 partitions? This way, the Computer will never be able
    to get hold of very much space on the HD - essential for burning
    Data-CDs - especially when using DiscBurner. I would do 1 partition - 2
    at most...

    > The CD-RW that was installed by the previous owner is a Sony CRX1611
    > on the internal CD drive's databus. Initially all this CD would do on
    > this unit was read data and play music. It is/was not supported by
    > Sony on the Mac platform for burning, however it would on the PC
    > platform.
    >
    > I obtained a hacked extension from XLR8YourMac.Com that has allowed me
    > to burn music CD's, be it slowly (4X if that). Speed is not an issue
    > for me.
    >
    > I assumed (bad move) that if I could burn a music CD that I could also
    > burn a data Cd. Seems that is not the case.
    >
    > I noticed that in order for the CD to be even initialized I need 700
    > MB of free space on a partition.
    >
    > Once I am by this it appears I can use Disk Burner to start the
    > process of creating the necessary disk image to be burned (just
    > following the on-screen leads from Dick Burner itself). However it
    > seems to freeze up during the process.

    Have you tried Toast? I think, Toast does not use up that much HD-space
    for initializing the CD...

    > I tried to burn just 13 MB of data to a test CD-R and again to a CD-RW
    > (both Memorex brand). I watched the process and it seems to be
    > writing the tracks, and close obsrvation of the finished product is
    > showing that it is taking 'something', but when it gets to the
    > FINISHING stage it seems to freeze and all activity stops. The drive
    > seems to start to spin up and then immediately spins down as if its
    > caught in some loop. I allowed this to go on for about 10 minutes at
    > one point. I cannot FORCE QUIT either when this happens. I had to
    > CTRL-CMD-START to force a system restart (and all that goes with it).

    Probably 9.2.2 and DiscBurner are just wasting a lot of (in your eyes -
    not in the eyes of a 20GB HD - which is bottom standard today) HD-space
    - another way of solving the problem would be maybe an "older" MacOS -
    like 8.6...

    > The resultant CD of course is a coffee cup coaster. It appears to
    > have accepted the initialization but is otherwise blank due to the
    > force restart.

    Torge.

    --
    torge anders - diplombastler/tinkering with a diploma
    braunschweig - germany

+ Reply to Thread