Making an OS X boot CD? - Storage

This is a discussion on Making an OS X boot CD? - Storage ; What's the simplest way to make a boot CD with OS X? I can't imagine setting the OS X installer loose on a disk image and burning that. That would be a huge install. What is the best way to ...

  1. Making an OS X boot CD?

    What's the simplest way to make a boot CD with OS X? I can't imagine setting
    the OS X installer loose on a disk image and burning that. That would be a
    huge install.

    What is the best way to creat a minimum OS X install for use on a boot CD?

    (PowerBook G3/400; OS X 10.2.6)
    --
    Dave C
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  2. Re: Making an OS X boot CD?

    Is there a way to use Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate the OS X system from a
    boot CD to a target disk image? CCC copies invidible files, so this is the
    best way I can think to get a complete, valid system on a CD.

    Problem is, whatever applications are on that source CD will have to get
    extracted, and as with all OS X app installs, the invisible and numerous
    other files that get installed, might be more trouble than it's worth to get
    them removed.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  3. Re: Making an OS X boot CD?

    In article
    <0001HW.BB87FEB6000146A2F0284600@news.individual.ne t>,
    DaveC wrote:

    > Ideas?

    refer to www.bombich.com for a discussion on making boot CDs.

  4. Re: Making an OS X boot CD?

    DaveC wrote:

    > What's the simplest way to make a boot CD with OS X? I can't imagine setting
    > the OS X installer loose on a disk image and burning that. That would be a
    > huge install.
    >
    > What is the best way to creat a minimum OS X install for use on a boot CD?

    There's a utility called Boot CD that allows you to create a bootable
    OSX cd and including applications on it that you want to have on the CD.
    I created an emergency boot CD with all my disk and file recovery apps
    on it.

    Read the documentation carefully and fully test your new CD and the
    applications on it before assuming everything is fine. I had to fiddle
    around a little to make sure I had all the proper library files on the
    CD before some of the apps ran properly

  5. Re: Making an OS X boot CD?

    In article <1g187jo.13t2mly1bphtl4N%gkar@myrealbox.com>, Strider
    wrote:

    > There's a utility called Boot CD that allows you to create a bootable
    > OSX cd and including applications on it that you want to have on the CD.
    > I created an emergency boot CD with all my disk and file recovery apps
    > on it.

    Where can I get this? It was not on C-net or Apple downloads. Google
    didn't find it either?

    Bob

  6. Re: Making an OS X boot CD?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:02:34 GMT,
    Bob &/or Barbara (BOB@mindpring.com) wrote:
    > In article <1g187jo.13t2mly1bphtl4N%gkar@myrealbox.com>, Strider
    > wrote:
    >
    >> There's a utility called Boot CD that allows you to create a bootable
    >> OSX cd and including applications on it that you want to have on the CD.
    >> I created an emergency boot CD with all my disk and file recovery apps
    >> on it.

    > Where can I get this? It was not on C-net or Apple downloads. Google
    > didn't find it either?

    and read
    http://www.bombich.com/mactips/bootx.html

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf

  7. Re: Making an OS X boot CD?

    In article , Bev
    A. Kupf wrote:

    > http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15196
    > and read
    > http://www.bombich.com/mactips/bootx.html
    >
    > Bev

    Thanks Bev.

    Bob

  8. Re: Making an OS X boot CD?

    In article <1g187jo.13t2mly1bphtl4N%gkar@myrealbox.com>,
    gkar@myrealbox.com (Strider) wrote:

    > There's a utility called Boot CD that allows you to create a bootable
    > OSX cd and including applications on it that you want to have on the CD.
    > I created an emergency boot CD with all my disk and file recovery apps
    > on it.

    What files/folders did you put on the disk? My system folder alone
    is 590 MB, which doesn't allow for much else to be put on the CD -- and
    I'm not sure that the System Folder alone will allow the CD to boot.
    I'd really appreciate more details of exactly what you included on
    the CD.
    Thanks

    --
    d49ot