a pickle of my own making_ EMERGENCY ADVISE NEEDED - Storage

This is a discussion on a pickle of my own making_ EMERGENCY ADVISE NEEDED - Storage ; Hi all, I'm new to the group and need immediate advise. I already know I've been a bad mac owner, now for the quick fix. I'm a freelance graphic designer with no disk space left (especially scratch disk. I desperately ...

  1. a pickle of my own making_ EMERGENCY ADVISE NEEDED

    Hi all, I'm new to the group and need immediate advise. I already know
    I've been a bad mac owner, now for the quick fix.

    I'm a freelance graphic designer with no disk space left (especially scratch
    disk. I desperately need more storage and some form of backup, but first
    and foremost, STORAGE. At this point I am fearful of upgrading my
    OS or any firmware without being able to copy everything first.
    I've finally got a decent paying, large project coming up fast, but I
    need the space to work with a minimum problems. I was first considering
    an external as both backup and storage, but it looks like the FireWire
    and USB standards have changed on me.
    The things I would like to add are 1 40-80GB internal ATA drive, 1
    external 120-180GB backup and storage FireWire drive, and an
    external CD burner. I would like my external devices to be forward
    compatible in the event I can get a new computer in the next 1-2
    years. (Dream of G5 dance in my head) But, I have to start with one
    thing that will allow me to backup all my junk (including the system,
    ability to boot). Then when I update my OS I can reformat my original
    drive and get rid of partitions. Maybe just replace that drive and keep
    the heat down.

    COMPATIBILITY: Here's the info on my current system:
    Software overview
    Mac OS overview
    Finder: 8.6
    System: 8.6 US
    Active enabler: Mac OS ROM 1.8.1
    QuickTime: 5.0.2
    File sharing: is off
    At Ease: Not installed
    Note: No startup disk was selected.

    Memory overview
    Disk cache: 7.96 MB
    Virtual memory: is off
    Built-in memory: 832 MB
    Location Size Memory type
    DIMM0/J19 64 MB DIMM
    DIMM1/J20 256 MB DIMM
    DIMM2/J21 256 MB DIMM
    DIMM3/J22 256 MB DIMM
    Video memory: 16 MB
    Backside L2 cache: 1 MB

    Hardware overview
    Machine ID: 406
    Model name: Power Mac G4 (PCI graphics)
    Keyboard type: Apple Extended Keyboard
    Processor info: PowerPC G4
    Machine speed: 350 MHz
    Nanokernel version: 2.05
    Nanokernel pool extends: 0
    Nanokernel scheduled CPUs:1

    Production information
    ROM revision: $77D.44F1
    Boot ROM version: 1.2f2
    Mac OS ROM file version: 1.8.1
    Serial number: SG943W6M-HM0
    Software bundle: 694-1192
    Sales order number: Not applicable

    USB 0 1.2.1
    Hub (USB Root Hub Simulation)
    Product ID: 4098 ($1002)
    Vendor: Apple Computer (Apple Computer Inc.)
    Driver version: 1.2.1
    Driver name: USBHub0Apple
    Power (mA): 500 ($1f4)
    Serial number: Not available
    Mouse (M4848)
    Product ID: 769 ($301)
    Vendor: Apple Computer (Logitech)
    Driver version: 1.3.7
    Driver name: USBHIDMouseDriver
    Power (mA): 100 ($64)
    Serial number: Not available

    Firewire 2.1.3

    Internal ATA 0
    ID = 0
    CD-ROM drive
    Driver version: 1.2.2
    Mac OS partitions: 0
    Removable media: Yes
    Vendor: MAT****A
    Revision number: GA0W
    Product ID: CD-ROM CR-589
    Serial number:

    No mounted media inserted
    Internal ATA 1
    ID = 0
    Hard drive
    Driver version: 3.2.2f1
    Mac OS partitions: 5
    Removable media: No
    Vendor: QUANTUM
    Revision number: A3F.0B20
    Product ID: FIREBALL CX10.2A
    Serial number: 833923610598
    Unformatted size: 9.55 GB

    COMPATIBILITY... would I need to update firmware or buy new
    interface hardware or what?
    Here's what I'm looking at on the OWC site:
    Internal:
    40-80GB Hitachi/IBM DeskStar 180GXP ATA/6 7200RPM 8.5ms 2MB Buffer.
    1yr Hitachi Warranty + 2yr additional years OWC Warranty.
    120GB Hitachi/IBM DeskStar 180GXP ATA/6 7200RPM 8.5ms 8MB Buffer.
    3yr Hitachi Warranty. (IBM07N9549) $125.00
    80GB Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm 8.9ms 8MB 'JUMBO' Cache UltraDMA 100.
    3yr Western Digital Warranty.
    [Note: 2 WD drives have died in my husbands PC so I'm a little leary of
    them]

    External:
    120GB Mercury Elite Pro 7200RPM FireWire 800+USB 2.0/1.1 Oxford922 Storage
    Solution with 2MB Data Buffer. FW400, FW800, & USB Cables; Intech Speed
    Tools Included. 2yr Warranty. (OWCME8FW7120GB) $259.99 (VERY interesting)

    120GB OWC Mercury Elite 7200RPM FireWire Oxford 911 + USB 2.0/1.1 Combo
    Solution. FireWire Cable, USB Cable, & Intech SpeedTools included! 2yr
    Warranty. (OWCME2FW7120GB) $195.00

    Oh, and I've also basically been running without any drive tools
    or utilities. So shoot me! Yes, it's been well established that I
    am both insane and not too bright. What can I say, I was broke
    for a long time while working for someone else.
    I quickly need to upgrade my OS as well, but am concerned about
    my apps. Have to get through this upcoming project smoothly.
    Then I'll have a few bucks, and maybe a small chunk of time...
    maybe.

    Thank you for your indulgence,
    Inez

    PS_ some of my old zips have died, so I've already lost stuff, I have
    to be very careful with what I have stored on my current drive.
    I'm going to have other immediate expenses too, like getting cable
    modem service so I can get the files to a printer. ARGH!

  2. Re: a pickle of my own making_ EMERGENCY ADVISE NEEDED

    My God, get MacOS 9.2.2 loaded on that machine immediately.
    Especially if you want to run CD Burners and external firewire drives.

    Don't bother with OSX unless you want to shell out at least $300 for a
    processor upgrade.

    As to getting files to a printer, I take it you mean a print house, not
    a laserprinter, that is what CD burners and bonded messenger services
    are good for.

    RAM is sufficient.

    Backup systems are dieing out.
    Harddrive size and low cost are simply outstripping the backup
    industries ability to match.

    What most people do is back up to CDRs.
    Just burn backups of your system folder, and all the most important
    files, once a week.
    CDRs are so cheap now that it is simply more cost effective.

    Don't bother backing up applications if you still have the install
    disks.
    Just your files.

    Don't bother partitioning drives, unless you get into OSX.
    Just format them as HFS+ drives and leave it at that.

    Good vendors for parts.

    www.smalldog.com/
    www.macsales.com/
    www.macsolutions.com/

    You can buy Mac OS 9.2 install disks from www.macresq.com/

    In article , Inez Henson-Smith
    wrote:

> [...]
    > Warranty. (OWCME2FW7120GB) $195.00
    >
    > Oh, and I've also basically been running without any drive tools
    > or utilities. So shoot me! Yes, it's been well established that I
    > am both insane and not too bright. What can I say, I was broke
    > for a long time while working for someone else.
    > I quickly need to upgrade my OS as well, but am concerned about
    > my apps. Have to get through this upcoming project smoothly.
    > Then I'll have a few bucks, and maybe a small chunk of time...
    > maybe.
    >
    > Thank you for your indulgence,
    > Inez
    >
    > PS_ some of my old zips have died, so I've already lost stuff, I have
    > to be very careful with what I have stored on my current drive.
    > I'm going to have other immediate expenses too, like getting cable
    > modem service so I can get the files to a printer. ARGH!

  3. Re: a pickle of my own making_ EMERGENCY ADVISE NEEDED

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!

  4. Re: a pickle of my own making_ EMERGENCY ADVISE NEEDED

    Inez,

    I think you may have given us way more info than we really need. We don't
    need to know how much RAM is in each of your RAM slots, but you'll never
    be accused of giving the group too little to go on.

    Like Ernie says, I can't quite understand why you have a G4 and run 8.6.
    That is probably the source of any firewire difficulties you're having.

    External firewire drives aren't that expensive. Wiebetech makes a handy
    little firewire adapter that allows you to plug in a bare drive, hook it
    to your G4, fill it up and remove the thing. Then you can store that drive
    like you once stored Zip disks and plug another bare drive into the
    Wiebetech interface and put stuff on that.

    It really depends on your fears and your needs.

    Fear 1: theft
    Keep your backup in a different location or in a safe if you fear your
    computer might be stolen. You could also set a firmware password and put a
    big note on your computer stating that only you will be able to use it
    because it's locked with a firmware password.

    Fear 2: Computer failure
    For this you don't want to have your backups all on or even in a single
    machine. Although it's very fast and convenient to put multiple drives
    inside your G4 it might not protect you of your power supply goes south.
    Sometimes it's good to do a raid array to calm this one. But for sure you
    want to have an external storage solution.

    Fear 3: power failure
    Where do you live? Might want to have a cheap (<$100) battery backup so
    you can shut down without losing your files.

    You also want to backup FREQUENTLY.

    Needs
    Business--If you can't afford even an afternoon of wasted time you might
    do well to duplicate your stuff. Have a small network with two machines,
    applications loaded on both. Share A B backups on external drives. Use
    remote web-based email so that any browser can get to it.

    If you've got some time before the new project kicks in you can get a new
    internal drive, load 9.2 on it, load your apps on it, select it as your
    boot disk, and run the two internal drives until you have some breathing
    room.

    A CD burner is very handy for someone who is doing graphic design work
    because you can keep projects and resources on CDs that are easy to file
    and find when needed.

    Zips are not very reliable. Also...remember that nothing lasts forever.

    Age well,

    John

    --
    Use plasma destruct ray on return address for direct mail response.

+ Reply to Thread