WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail? - Storage

This is a discussion on WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail? - Storage ; Hi - My WinXP machine is acting really weird. Of late, its started to freeze outright, and sometimes it suddenly reboots itself as though I'd hit the reset button. It even happened for the third time tonight while I was ...

  1. WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    Hi -

    My WinXP machine is acting really weird. Of late, its started to
    freeze outright, and sometimes it suddenly reboots itself as though
    I'd hit the reset button. It even happened for the third time tonight
    while I was typing this message (fortunately, firefox's restore
    profile recovered this half completed message -- I kid you not). My
    colleague thinks the HD is on its way out.

    Thanks,

    - Olumide

  2. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    "Olumide" <50295@web.de> wrote in message
    news:1190258423.058054.95660@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Hi -
    >
    > My WinXP machine is acting really weird. Of late, its started to
    > freeze outright, and sometimes it suddenly reboots itself as though
    > I'd hit the reset button. It even happened for the third time tonight
    > while I was typing this message (fortunately, firefox's restore
    > profile recovered this half completed message -- I kid you not). My
    > colleague thinks the HD is on its way out.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > - Olumide

    Turn off 'reboot on errors' in admin tools and check the event viewer.

  3. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    > Hi -

    > My WinXP machine is acting really weird. Of late, its started to
    > freeze outright, and sometimes it suddenly reboots itself as though
    > I'd hit the reset button. It even happened for the third time tonight
    > while I was typing this message (fortunately, firefox's restore
    > profile recovered this half completed message -- I kid you not). My
    > colleague thinks the HD is on its way out.

    HDD is quite unlikely. More likely CPU/mainboard/memory/PSU
    issues. Can be hard to debug.

    Arno

  4. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    I would think it might be a problem with the ram. This happened to me
    last spring on a dell laptop. The computer would just frreze. Then
    it would not even finish POST. I found that one of the sticks of ram
    was defective and after a replacement everything worked fine.

    Here is what you can do:
    1. get memtest86+ and test your ram repeatedly.
    2. get prime 95 and run a torture test.

    Then try swapping your components i.e. processor, ram, psu, whatever
    else.
    If you have a friend with a working computer you can get him to help
    you and spend several hours with this swapping/testing procedure.
    Then I am sure you can trace the problem easily.

    Unless it is a software problem. Check the error logs first, or else
    it would be a pain to spend all that time testing hardware when in
    fact it might have been a spyware infestation or something of that
    sort...

  5. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:

    >Hi -
    >
    >My WinXP machine is acting really weird. Of late, its started to
    >freeze outright, and sometimes it suddenly reboots itself as though
    >I'd hit the reset button. It even happened for the third time tonight
    >while I was typing this message (fortunately, firefox's restore
    >profile recovered this half completed message -- I kid you not). My
    >colleague thinks the HD is on its way out.

    I'd suspect memory or PSU problems first.
    Try pulling off and reseating your drive-cables first.
    (If that works, replace them.)
    Try reseating the memory next.
    Then try running Memtest86+
    Finally try a known-good Power-Supply.

    --
    _____
    / ' / ™

  6. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    Thanks everyone. I have run memtest86+ for over 2 hours, without
    error. I quit the test after I realized that the same tests were bing
    repeated over and over again.

    :-| (scratches head)

  7. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    >Hi -
    >
    >My WinXP machine is acting really weird. Of late, its started to
    >freeze outright, and sometimes it suddenly reboots itself as though
    >I'd hit the reset button. It even happened for the third time tonight
    >while I was typing this message (fortunately, firefox's restore
    >profile recovered this half completed message -- I kid you not). My
    >colleague thinks the HD is on its way out.

    In theory, any faulty part can cause it but the most common
    culprit is PSU problems. Since you already tested memory, next
    is to swap PSU and see if the problem goes away. Buy a PSU in
    a local large store so you can return it if the same thing continues
    with the new PSU. Esle, keep it.

    DK

  8. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    > Thanks everyone. I have run memtest86+ for over 2 hours, without
    > error. I quit the test after I realized that the same tests were bing
    > repeated over and over again.

    > :-| (scratches head)

    For a not too often happening error, I would recommend running it
    at leat 12 hours. I once had a weak bit in an Infineon module, that
    was found abter about 40 h runnung memtest86+. That one caused
    about one error a day in a computing server in practical operation.

    Arno

  9. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:44:09 -0700, Olumide <50295@web.de> put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >Thanks everyone. I have run memtest86+ for over 2 hours, without
    >error. I quit the test after I realized that the same tests were bing
    >repeated over and over again.
    >
    >:-| (scratches head)

    If you have more than one memory module, try removing them one at a
    time, or two at a time.

    - Franc Zabkar

  10. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    DK wrote:
    : Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    :: Hi -

    : < : a local large store so you can return it if the same thing
    : continues with the new PSU.>> Esle, keep it.

    That's quite the ethical advice, punk.

  11. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Gary Seven wrote:
    > DK wrote:
    > : Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    > :: Hi -
    >

    > : < > : a local large store so you can return it if the same thing
    > : continues with the new PSU.>> Esle, keep it.

    > That's quite the ethical advice, punk.

    Some people are under the misaprehension that whether cheating or
    stealing is acceptable depends on whom it is done to. One of the
    things wrong with this world.

    Arno

  12. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Gary Seven wrote:
    >> DK wrote:
    >> : Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    >> :: Hi -
    >>

    >> : < >> : a local large store so you can return it if the same thing
    >> : continues with the new PSU.>> Esle, keep it.

    >> That's quite the ethical advice, punk.

    > Some people are under the misaprehension that whether cheating or
    > stealing is acceptable depends on whom it is done to. One of the
    > things wrong with this world.
    >
    > Arno

    I agree. One of the best things I have found is to have a good relationship
    with a local computer shop. I usually have a PSU or memory and stuff around,
    but once in awhile I may need something for troubleshooting. I can just make
    a call and in almost every case the local shop will have what I need and
    have no problem at all letting me use it. They will even give me an open
    bench if I want to do something there. In return, I buy a lot of components
    from them. They can sometimes even beat some of the large mail-order places
    in price. Warranties are a given and easy to exchange something faulty.

    Ed

  13. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    "DK" wrote in message news:NBEIi.170$gc5.93@newsfe02.lga...
    > Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    >>Hi -
    >>
    >>My WinXP machine is acting really weird. Of late, its started to
    >>freeze outright, and sometimes it suddenly reboots itself as though
    >>I'd hit the reset button. It even happened for the third time tonight
    >>while I was typing this message (fortunately, firefox's restore
    >>profile recovered this half completed message -- I kid you not). My
    >>colleague thinks the HD is on its way out.

    > In theory, any faulty part can cause it but the most common
    > culprit is PSU problems. Since you already tested memory, next
    > is to swap PSU and see if the problem goes away. Buy a PSU in
    > a local large store so you can return it if the same thing continues
    > with the new PSU. Esle, keep it.
    >
    > DK

    AHHHH you must be a member of the current 'gamers'. who think that if you DON'T cheat you
    not 'being all you can be' in a multiplayer scenario....ahhh what a generation of humans
    that are coming up the ranks.....gonna be 'escape from new york' and snake pliskin is
    right around the corner....... ;^(

  14. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ed M. wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Gary Seven wrote:
    >>> DK wrote:
    >>> : Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    >>> :: Hi -
    >>>

    >>> : < >>> : a local large store so you can return it if the same thing
    >>> : continues with the new PSU.>> Esle, keep it.

    >>> That's quite the ethical advice, punk.

    >> Some people are under the misaprehension that whether cheating or
    >> stealing is acceptable depends on whom it is done to. One of the
    >> things wrong with this world.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > I agree. One of the best things I have found is to have a good relationship
    > with a local computer shop. I usually have a PSU or memory and stuff around,
    > but once in awhile I may need something for troubleshooting. I can just make
    > a call and in almost every case the local shop will have what I need and
    > have no problem at all letting me use it. They will even give me an open
    > bench if I want to do something there. In return, I buy a lot of components
    > from them. They can sometimes even beat some of the large mail-order places
    > in price. Warranties are a given and easy to exchange something faulty.

    Excellent. You get this only if you respect them completely of
    course. Incidentially I found the same thing holds with system
    admins at wirk: Respect them, ocasionally do someting for them
    and if you need something, you often can have it immediately,
    while other people get stonewalled.

    Arno

  15. Cheating in multiplayer gaming (was something else)

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Don't think it is this generation only.

    Of course not.

    > I think it is just that these are not even afraid to say what they
    > think in public. Better that wa, makes them easier to spot.

    As a multiplayer host, I do everything possible to prevent cheating.
    The best way to stop cheating is to record the game (which I always
    enable). If someone is able to cheat without being noticed, that is
    the game maker's fault. Accusation without proof is just the sign of a
    loser/whiner and doesn't belong in multiplayer gaming anymore than
    cheating does.

    If a player has hard evidence that someone has cheated, he should send
    it to the game maker. If a player has no evidence except that the
    other guy was playing better, he should shut up and play the game just
    like everybody else.

    If a player has crummy hardware like JAD and that's his excuse, well
    boo-hoo for him.

    > Arno

  16. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    > The obsessed troll JAD falsely accuses others of cheating in
    > multiplayer, because he can't play well enough to win. It's the last
    > whining excuse of a loser before he quits the game.

    Right Mark You are the wisest of all time,,,,STFU, your useless. ever notice you have
    NOTHING NEW to add to any thread just repeating or attacking? what a sad little girl you
    are...........How's that porn business doing anyway?, afterall we all know that's why you
    capture and post headers.............

    NOT A THROUGH THREAD
    DEAD END

    (Which is where all threads that J Doe posts to, end up)

  17. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    "JAD" wrote:

    >> The obsessed troll JAD falsely accuses others of cheating in
    >> multiplayer, because he can't play well enough to win. It's the
    >> last whining excuse of a loser before he quits the game.
    >>

    > Right Mark You are the wisest of all time,,,,STFU,

    Says the tough guy wanna-be over the Internet.

    > your useless.

    It's "you're". And I am useful for pointing out when JAD doesn't even
    bother reading the post he is replying to.

    > ever notice you have NOTHING NEW to add to any thread just repeating
    > or attacking? what a sad little girl you are...........How's that
    > porn business doing anyway?,

    Apparently JAD has a "fetish" for "sad/lonely little girls". It's an
    often repeated theme of his.

    > afterall we all know that's why you capture and post
    > headers.............

    That makes no sense, just like most of JAD's attempts to figure things
    out.

    > NOT A THROUGH THREAD
    > DEAD END
    >
    > (Which is where all threads that J Doe posts to, end up)

    newsdst01.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon04.n ews.prodigy.net!
    prodigy.net!news.astraweb.com!border2.newsrouter.a straweb.com!
    news.glorb.com!hwmnpeer01.lga!news.highwinds-media.com!hw-filter.lga!
    newsfe05.lga.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
    > From: "JAD"

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.p c.hardware.storage,alt.
    comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems

    > Subject: Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD

    about to fail?
    hikehalegljkcnnfiagkjednjcbjcbiaoiddppcpbpapllchok mmgamebhafdadakdejdocae
    ppioigjlmbhgmjekppdioeeeldackhhcgmfekkcanabdmhaffl addhhhgindeflifgphkdl
    > Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:12:32 -0700

    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:384493 alt.comp.hardware.pc-
    homebuilt:496553 comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems:108553

  18. Re: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about tofail?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:
    >> Hi -

    >> My WinXP machine is acting really weird. Of late, its started to
    >> freeze outright, and sometimes it suddenly reboots itself as though
    >> I'd hit the reset button. It even happened for the third time tonight
    >> while I was typing this message (fortunately, firefox's restore
    >> profile recovered this half completed message -- I kid you not). My
    >> colleague thinks the HD is on its way out.

    > HDD is quite unlikely. More likely CPU/mainboard/memory/PSU
    > issues. Can be hard to debug.
    >
    > Arno

    How old is your machine? Reason I ask is that I had a similar
    experience with a six year old machine. At least one of the capacitors
    on the motherboard finally gave out, at least to the point where strange
    things started happening. If a capacitor is starting to go, it's head
    becomes rounded (bubbled). A capacitor should be flat. If that
    happens, time to get a new motherboard.

  19. R: WinXP suddenly reboots without warning etc. Is my HDD about to fail?

    Hi !
    After all the tests, make a visual inspection on voltage regulator
    capacitors (the big ones, electrolitic, around CPU socket, you can't be
    wrong ...)
    If they are leaky or the upper cap seems about to explode (from inner
    pressure) they cause spontaneus freezes or reboots ...
    I restored a lot of MB having this problem, from PIII to PIV.
    Obviously, you must be able to handle the solder iron ;-)
    Those capacitors (often poor in quality) are exposed to CPU heat and can
    degrade quickly

    --
    --==oo00O00oo==--
    e-mail: supervinxATlibero.it - webmasterATsupervinx.com -

    Concerts page: www(DOT)supervinx(DOT)com/Concerts.html
    Main page: www(DOT)supervinx(DOT)com

+ Reply to Thread