Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning - Storage

This is a discussion on Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning - Storage ; My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values are below: Should I be concerned? ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status (05) Reallocated Sector Count ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
    highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values
    are below:

    Should I be concerned?

    ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    Status

    (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1 Ok

    (03) Spin Up Time 180 178 63 16945 Ok
    (04) Start/Stop Count 253 253 0 1206 Ok
    (06) Read Channel Margin 253 253 100 0 Ok
    (07) Seek Error Rate 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (08) Seek Time Performance 246 238 187 63919 Ok
    (09) Power On Hours Count 241 241 0 54939 Ok
    (0A) Spin Retry Count 253 252 157 0 Ok
    (0B) Calibration Retry Count 253 252 223 0 Ok
    (0C) Power Cycle Count 250 250 0 1212 Ok
    (C0) Power Off Retract Count 253 253 0 0 Ok
    (C1) Load Cycle Count 253 253 0 0 Ok
    (C2) Temperature 31 253 0 31 Ok
    (C3) Hardware ECC Recovered 253 252 0 2254 Ok
    (C4) Reallocated Event Count 253 253 0 0 Ok
    (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0 Ok
    (C6) Offline Uncorrectable 253 253 0 0 Ok
    (C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 1 1 0 50588 Ok
    (C8) Write Error Rate 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (C9) TA Counter Detected 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (CA) TA Counter Increased 253 252 0 1 Ok
    (CB) Run Out Cancel 253 252 180 0 Ok
    (CC) Soft ECC Correction 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (CD) Thermal Asperity Rate 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (CF) Spin High Current 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (D0) Spin Buzz 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (D1) Offline Seek Performance 234 234 0 230 Ok
    (D2) (unknown attribute) 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (D3) (unknown attribute) 253 252 0 0 Ok
    (D4) (unknown attribute) 253 249 0 0 Ok

    Power On Time : 54939
    Health Status : Ok

  2. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    On 2007-09-18, Sam wrote:

    > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
    > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
    > Tune. The values are below:
    >
    > Should I be concerned?
    >
    > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    > Status
    >
    > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

    Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
    No need to worry.

    --
    André Majorel
    (Counterfeit: awer@dewy.com cugawav@bodyguard.com)

  3. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Sam wrote:

    > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow highlighted
    > bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values are below:

    > Should I be concerned?

    Not if that number doesnt increase.

    > ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
    >
    > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    > Ok
    >
    > (03) Spin Up Time 180 178 63 16945
    > Ok (04) Start/Stop Count 253 253 0 1206
    > Ok (06) Read Channel Margin 253 253 100 0
    > Ok (07) Seek Error Rate 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (08) Seek Time Performance 246 238 187 63919
    > Ok (09) Power On Hours Count 241 241 0 54939
    > Ok (0A) Spin Retry Count 253 252 157 0
    > Ok (0B) Calibration Retry Count 253 252 223 0
    > Ok (0C) Power Cycle Count 250 250 0 1212
    > Ok (C0) Power Off Retract Count 253 253 0 0
    > Ok (C1) Load Cycle Count 253 253 0 0
    > Ok (C2) Temperature 31 253 0 31
    > Ok (C3) Hardware ECC Recovered 253 252 0 2254
    > Ok (C4) Reallocated Event Count 253 253 0 0
    > Ok (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
    > Ok (C6) Offline Uncorrectable 253 253 0 0
    > Ok (C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 1 1 0 50588
    > Ok (C8) Write Error Rate 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (C9) TA Counter Detected 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (CA) TA Counter Increased 253 252 0 1
    > Ok (CB) Run Out Cancel 253 252 180 0
    > Ok (CC) Soft ECC Correction 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (CD) Thermal Asperity Rate 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (CF) Spin High Current 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (D0) Spin Buzz 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (D1) Offline Seek Performance 234 234 0 230
    > Ok (D2) (unknown attribute) 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (D3) (unknown attribute) 253 252 0 0
    > Ok (D4) (unknown attribute) 253 249 0 0
    > Ok
    >
    > Power On Time : 54939
    > Health Status : Ok

  4. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    "Andre Majorel" wrote in message
    : On 2007-09-18, Sam wrote:
    :
    : > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
    : > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
    : > Tune. The values are below:
    : >
    : > Should I be concerned?
    : >
    : > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    : > Status
    : >
    : > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    : > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
    :
    : Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
    : No need to worry.

    Bad sector already? WTF? Is it RMAble. Obviously, reformatting won't
    fix it just block the writing at the bad sector?

  5. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    : Sam wrote:
    :
    : > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
    highlighted
    : > bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values are
    below:
    :
    : > Should I be concerned?
    :
    : Not if that number doesnt increase.

    So just watch these two values?

    (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

  6. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Previously Sam wrote:

    > "Andre Majorel" wrote in message
    > : On 2007-09-18, Sam wrote:
    > :
    > : > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
    > : > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
    > : > Tune. The values are below:
    > : >
    > : > Should I be concerned?
    > : >
    > : > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    > : > Status
    > : >
    > : > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    > : > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
    > :
    > : Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
    > : No need to worry.

    > Bad sector already? WTF? Is it RMAble. Obviously, reformatting won't
    > fix it just block the writing at the bad sector?

    Low numbers of defective sectors are entirely normal on modern
    disks (and have been normal since HDs exist...). Today, they get
    reallocated by the disk automatically.

    As to "WTF": Simple, you do not understand disk technology....

    Arno

  7. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    On 2007-09-19, Sam wrote:

    > "Andre Majorel" wrote in message
    >: On 2007-09-18, Sam wrote:
    >:
    >: > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
    >: > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
    >: > Tune. The values are below:
    >: >
    >: > Should I be concerned?
    >: >
    >: > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    >: > Status
    >: >
    >: > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    >: > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
    >:
    >: Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
    >: No need to worry.
    >
    > Bad sector already? WTF?

    That's normal. I have disks that have been running fine for
    years with a dozen bad sectors. When you need to worry is when
    the number of bad sectors exceeds that, or grows fast. In my
    experience, that's a sign of impending death.

    > Is it RMAble.

    Probably not.

    > Obviously, reformatting won't fix it

    Doing a low-level reformatting with the manufacturer's utilities
    might. But it's hardly worth the trouble, IMO.

    > just block the writing at the bad sector?

    No need to. As the word "reallocated" suggests, the disk has
    already remapped the sector. Disks have spare sectors set aside
    for that purpose.

    --
    André Majorel
    (Counterfeit: etawaq@lose.com owez@vigilant.com)

  8. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Rod Speed wrote in news:5lb98fF6mgoqU1@mid.individual.net
    > Sam wrote:
    >
    > > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
    > > highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values
    > > are below:

    > > Should I be concerned?

    > Not if that number doesnt increase.

    Typical how an increase from 0 to 1 is not a problem but from 1 to 2 is.

    > > Ok (C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 1 1 0 50588

    And apparently no-one that 's bothered one bit by the Ultra DMA CRC Error Count.

    [cut]

  9. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Sam wrote in news:sh2Ii.4566$A55.2757@pd7urf2no
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:5lb98fF6mgoqU1@mid.individual.net...
    > > Sam wrote:
    > >
    > > > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
    > > > highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values
    > > > are below:

    > > > Should I be concerned?

    > > Not if that number doesnt increase.

    > So just watch these two values?
    >
    > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

    No.

  10. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Sam wrote in news:sh2Ii.4565$A55.3277@pd7urf2no
    > "Andre Majorel"wrote in message news:slrnff0qmd.4cq.cheney@atc5.vermine.org...
    > > On 2007-09-18, Sam wrote:
    > >
    > > > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
    > > > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
    > > > Tune. The values are below:
    > > >
    > > > Should I be concerned?
    > > >
    > > > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    > > > Status
    > > >
    > > > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    > > > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

    > > Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
    > > No need to worry.

    > Bad sector already?

    Yes, and?

    54939 POH, 1212 PoC.
    Like it doesn't get all the chances to run in to one.

    > WTF? Is it RMAble.

    Nope.

    > Obviously, reformatting won't fix it

    Since there's nothing to 'fix', *quite* obviously.

    > just block the writing at the bad sector?

    What bad sector.
    What part of "Reallocated" and "Pending" did you not understand.

  11. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    :
    : As to "WTF": Simple, you do not understand disk technology....

    Perhaps, but I have never had new hard drive that had to have it's
    sectors reallocated before. When any of my hard drives were failing in
    the past (never been a Maxtor), I would run the manufacturer's
    diagnostics and it would then not pass. I would get an RMA. Besides,
    with this hard drive I first began suspecting something wasn't right by
    noticing some performance issues and corruption of files.

    I will see if I can get it an RMA for it.

  12. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Sam wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> Sam wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
    >>> highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The
    >>> values are below:

    >>> Should I be concerned?

    >> Not if that number doesnt increase.

    > So just watch these two values?
    >
    > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

    Yep.

  13. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 05:17:12 GMT, "Sam" put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >"Andre Majorel" wrote in message
    >: On 2007-09-18, Sam wrote:
    >:
    >: > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
    >: > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
    >: > Tune. The values are below:
    >: >
    >: > Should I be concerned?
    >: >
    >: > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    >: > Status
    >: >
    >: > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
    >: > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
    >:
    >: Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
    >: No need to worry.
    >
    >Bad sector already? WTF? Is it RMAble. Obviously, reformatting won't
    >fix it just block the writing at the bad sector?

    Hard discs have always shipped with bad sectors. It's in the nature of
    the technology.

    In the early days of 10MB and 20MB HDs, drives were shipped with a bad
    block map on a sticker. The idea was that these bad blocks had to be
    re-entered by the user whenever he/she performed a low level format.
    These days the bad blocks are detected during manufacturing and
    managed internally by the drive's controller.

    - Franc Zabkar

  14. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Previously Sam wrote:
    > :
    > : As to "WTF": Simple, you do not understand disk technology....

    > Perhaps, but I have never had new hard drive that had to have it's
    > sectors reallocated before. When any of my hard drives were failing in
    > the past (never been a Maxtor), I would run the manufacturer's
    > diagnostics and it would then not pass. I would get an RMA. Besides,
    > with this hard drive I first began suspecting something wasn't right by
    > noticing some performance issues and corruption of files.

    Well, the performance drop _is_ a concern. The SMART data is
    mot. {ersonally I suspect that some manufacturers simply lie
    about small reallocated sector numbers, if the disk managed
    to salvage the data.

    > I will see if I can get it an RMA for it.

    Do that. Web wiorks best for Maxtor, but you need to be
    creative with the RMA reason, if you do not have a failed SMART
    status or the SMART selftest fails.

    Arno

  15. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Sam wrote in news:SUdIi.9123$A55.3764@pd7urf2no

    > > As to "WTF": Simple, you do not understand disk technology....

    > Perhaps, but I have never had new hard drive that had to have it's
    > sectors reallocated before. When any of my hard drives were failing in
    > the past (never been a Maxtor), I would run the manufacturer's
    > diagnostics and it would then not pass. I would get an RMA.

    > Besides, with this hard drive I first began suspecting something wasn't
    > right by noticing some performance issues and corruption of files.

    Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
    "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".

    The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

    > I will see if I can get it an RMA for it.

  16. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    "Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message
    news:46f2942e$0$47118$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    : :
    : Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
    : "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".
    :
    : The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

    The issue is NOT the CRC error, which was from a bad IDE drive cable
    from a previous computer where the HD came from but the Reallocated
    Sector count warning.

  17. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Previously Sam wrote:

    > "Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message
    > news:46f2942e$0$47118$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    > : :
    > : Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
    > : "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".
    > :
    > : The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

    > The issue is NOT the CRC error, which was from a bad IDE drive cable
    > from a previous computer where the HD came from but the Reallocated
    > Sector count warning.

    Don't mind Folkert. He cannot read.

    Arno

  18. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    Sam wrote in news:KeEIi.207686$fJ5.133133@pd7urf1no
    > "Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message news:46f2942e$0$47118$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    > > >
    > > > Besides, with this hard drive I first began suspecting something wasn't
    > > > right by noticing some performance issues and corruption of files.
    > > >

    > > Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
    > > "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".
    > >
    > > The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

    > The issue is NOT the CRC error,

    You don't know that.
    It's the only source for data corruption and another for performance is-
    sues. Not when the drive is in UDMA mode but when the OS dumbs down
    to MW-DMA or PIO mode due to too many errors and then there's no Ul-
    tra DMA CRC Error recovery anymore and corruption occurs undetected.

    > which was from a bad IDE drive cable from a previous computer.

    It may be back.

    > where the HD came from but the Reallocated Sector count warning.

    Bad sectors do not cause corruption, they either can be read or they
    can not. Data loss yes, corruption no.

    You are looking for a reason to RMA.
    Interface errors should do. One bad dector does not.

  19. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    On Sep 18, 5:18 pm, Andre Majorel wrote:
    > On 2007-09-18, Sam wrote:
    >
    > > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
    > > yellow highlighted bar for theReallocatedSectorcount in HD
    > > Tune. The values are below:

    > > Should I be concerned?

    > > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    > > Status

    > > (05)ReallocatedSectorCount 253 253 63 1
    > > (C5) Current PendingSector 253 253 0 0

    > Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one badsector.
    > No need to worry.

    Well....this evening I went to boot up my computer I heard a loud
    click, click, click noise coming from the hard drive. The system
    summary screen booted up and this [slave] drive failed the boot
    test. It was not "seen".

    After rebooting, the clicking stopped and the drive was recognized. I
    ran smart tests and it showed no anomolies ie. it passed all the
    tests.

    How could the drive make this noise, fail to be recognize yet pass the
    diagnostic tests?

  20. Re: Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

    In article <1192862250.352167.302310@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    Mike wrote:

    > On Sep 18, 5:18 pm, Andre Majorel wrote:
    > > On 2007-09-18, Sam wrote:
    > >
    > > > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
    > > > yellow highlighted bar for theReallocatedSectorcount in HD
    > > > Tune. The values are below:

    > > > Should I be concerned?

    > > > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
    > > > Status

    > > > (05)ReallocatedSectorCount 253 253 63 1
    > > > (C5) Current PendingSector 253 253 0 0

    > > Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one badsector.
    > > No need to worry.

    > Well....this evening I went to boot up my computer I heard a loud
    > click, click, click noise coming from the hard drive. The system
    > summary screen booted up and this [slave] drive failed the boot
    > test. It was not "seen".
    >
    > After rebooting, the clicking stopped and the drive was recognized. I
    > ran smart tests and it showed no anomolies ie. it passed all the
    > tests.
    >
    > How could the drive make this noise, fail to be recognize yet pass the
    > diagnostic tests?

    I don't have the answer but if you haven't already, I would make sure
    that you have made a recent good backup of that drive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast