Windows Vista and my hard drives - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows Vista and my hard drives - Storage ; HI, Im Trevor. This evening I was sitting in front of my computer, which was recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate. After a while, I started hearing two of my hard drives spin down and then about ten seconds later, spin ...

  1. Windows Vista and my hard drives

    HI, Im Trevor.
    This evening I was sitting in front of my computer, which was recently
    upgraded to Vista Ultimate. After a while, I started hearing two of my
    hard drives spin down and then about ten seconds later, spin back up
    again, then back down. It seems to be stuck in a loop of some sort.
    One of the two drives is getting kind of old and I dont think it
    should keep spinning back up without any reason, especially if it is
    not being acessed.

    Any solutions to this problem would be a great help, Thanks!

    --Trevor

  2. Re: Windows Vista and my hard drives

    Previously Trevor L. wrote:
    > HI, Im Trevor.
    > This evening I was sitting in front of my computer, which was recently
    > upgraded to Vista Ultimate. After a while, I started hearing two of my
    > hard drives spin down and then about ten seconds later, spin back up
    > again, then back down. It seems to be stuck in a loop of some sort.
    > One of the two drives is getting kind of old and I dont think it
    > should keep spinning back up without any reason, especially if it is
    > not being acessed.

    > Any solutions to this problem would be a great help, Thanks!

    You need to solve this. Typical desktop drives are only
    rated at 40.000 start-stop cycles or so. Spinning up and
    down all the time will kill them fast.

    Arno

  3. Re: Windows Vista and my hard drives

    On Sep 18, 4:04 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Trevor L. wrote:
    >
    > > HI, Im Trevor.
    > > This evening I was sitting in front of my computer, which was recently
    > > upgraded to Vista Ultimate. After a while, I started hearing two of my
    > > hard drives spin down and then about ten seconds later, spin back up
    > > again, then back down. It seems to be stuck in a loop of some sort.
    > > One of the two drives is getting kind of old and I dont think it
    > > should keep spinning back up without any reason, especially if it is
    > > not being acessed.
    > > Any solutions to this problem would be a great help, Thanks!

    > You need to solve this. Typical desktop drives are only
    > rated at 40.000 start-stop cycles or so. Spinning up and
    > down all the time will kill them fast.
    >
    > Arno

    well I seem to have fixed the problem by setting the spin down time to
    "never" and I havent heard them spin down yet

+ Reply to Thread