Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory - Storage ; dacconverter wrote: > On Sep 16, 8:00 am, Bob Willard > wrote: > > The laptop has two memory slots, each of which has a 128 mb stick. If > I do plan for more memory, I would insert 512 ...

  1. Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory

    dacconverter wrote:
    > On Sep 16, 8:00 am, Bob Willard
    > wrote:
    >
    > The laptop has two memory slots, each of which has a 128 mb stick. If
    > I do plan for more memory, I would insert 512 mb on one slot and keep
    > a 128 on the other. Will compatibility issues possibly arise from
    > this?

    Could be -- not because of different sizes, since the BIOS and the OS can
    cope with mixed sizes, but because of different speeds. To be safe, I'd
    discard both 128MB RAMs and insert a pair of 512MB RAMs purchased from
    the same vendor at the same time with the same part number on each.

    If your laptop uses dual-channel memory mode (I don't think it does, but
    I didn't look up the specs), then the sizes must match or your performance
    will drop dramatically.

    > And RAM aside, you aren't concerned that its hard disk has 4200 rpm in
    > speed? 4200 is below par than the 5400 rpm deemed to be ancient by
    > today's standards.

    Due to heat issues, as noted by others, I would not change the HD unless
    it is dead. Cooling in laptops is pretty marginal, so I would not do
    anything to make it worse. If you *know* that your old HD is affecting
    performance a lot, then I suggest a new laptop instead of piecemeal
    upgrades.

    Overall, adding enough RAM to avoid swapping will decrease the affect
    of a slow HD. Running XP on a 256MB PC, particularly with integrated
    graphics, is a recipe for lousy performance; been there, done that,
    got the RAM to fix it.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  2. Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory

    "Bob Willard" wrote in message
    news:KpGdnaQ1V68VxHPbnZ2dnUVZ_q6hnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > dacconverter wrote:
    >> On Sep 16, 8:00 am, Bob Willard
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> The laptop has two memory slots, each of which has a 128 mb stick. If
    >> I do plan for more memory, I would insert 512 mb on one slot and keep
    >> a 128 on the other. Will compatibility issues possibly arise from
    >> this?
    >>

    > Could be -- not because of different sizes, since the BIOS and the OS can
    > cope with mixed sizes, but because of different speeds. To be safe, I'd
    > discard both 128MB RAMs and insert a pair of 512MB RAMs purchased from
    > the same vendor at the same time with the same part number on each.
    >
    > If your laptop uses dual-channel memory mode (I don't think it does, but
    > I didn't look up the specs), then the sizes must match or your performance
    > will drop dramatically.
    >
    >> And RAM aside, you aren't concerned that its hard disk has 4200 rpm in
    >> speed? 4200 is below par than the 5400 rpm deemed to be ancient by
    >> today's standards.
    >>

    > Due to heat issues, as noted by others, I would not change the HD unless
    > it is dead. Cooling in laptops is pretty marginal, so I would not do
    > anything to make it worse. If you *know* that your old HD is affecting
    > performance a lot, then I suggest a new laptop instead of piecemeal
    > upgrades.
    >
    > Overall, adding enough RAM to avoid swapping will decrease the affect
    > of a slow HD. Running XP on a 256MB PC, particularly with integrated
    > graphics, is a recipe for lousy performance; been there, done that,
    > got the RAM to fix it.
    > --
    > Cheers, Bob

    Add as much RAM as it will take. If it will take 1Gb, fit one. If it
    will only take 512Mb, one will help, 2 will fly. To see hpw much RAM you
    need, open Task Manager, Perfoprmance Tab. Physical Nemory, bottom right
    will show what is available after robbery by graphics system. Bottom left
    shows Commit Charge, Total is what you are using. If it is higher than Total
    available, you are using swap file on hard drive(very slow). Peak shows Max
    memory requirement so far. Check this after using all your ususal apps, at
    end of session.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread