Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory - Storage ; On Sep 16, 3:05 am, Arno Wagner wrote: > Hot disks die eraly and above 60C or so also can fail catastrophically. > The only sure way to do that is to determine the power consumption > of the old ...

  1. Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory

    On Sep 16, 3:05 am, Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Hot disks die eraly and above 60C or so also can fail catastrophically.
    > The only sure way to do that is to determine the power consumption
    > of the old drive and to make sure the new drive does not take more,
    > unless it stays cool under heavy load. However that involves a
    > difficult judgement call.

    But even with the included 4200 rpm drive, there's usually a
    "burning / electronics" odor from using the laptop for less than 20
    min. And it gets pretty hot ( not warm ) on the part of chassis above
    the hard drive.

    Isn't this the worst it can get in terms of disk heat?

  2. Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory

    dacconverter wrote
    > Arno Wagner wrote

    >> Hot disks die eraly and above 60C or so also can fail catastrophically.
    >> The only sure way to do that is to determine the power consumption
    >> of the old drive and to make sure the new drive does not take more,
    >> unless it stays cool under heavy load. However that involves a
    >> difficult judgement call.

    > But even with the included 4200 rpm drive, there's usually a
    > "burning / electronics" odor from using the laptop for less than 20 min.

    That vintage of Dell laptops run the hard drives much too
    hot and the drives dont last that long for that reason.

    > And it gets pretty hot ( not warm ) on the part of chassis above the hard drive.

    > Isn't this the worst it can get in terms of disk heat?

    No, it will get even worse if you replace the hard drive with a 7200 rpm drive.

  3. Re: faster hard drive vs. more memory

    Previously dacconverter wrote:
    > On Sep 16, 3:05 am, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> Hot disks die eraly and above 60C or so also can fail catastrophically.
    >> The only sure way to do that is to determine the power consumption
    >> of the old drive and to make sure the new drive does not take more,
    >> unless it stays cool under heavy load. However that involves a
    >> difficult judgement call.

    > But even with the included 4200 rpm drive, there's usually a
    > "burning / electronics" odor from using the laptop for less than 20
    > min. And it gets pretty hot ( not warm ) on the part of chassis above
    > the hard drive.

    Not good at all.

    > Isn't this the worst it can get in terms of disk heat?

    The worst is that the disk stops working because it is too hot.
    From my experience that happens in the range 60C-70C. The second
    worst is that it dies very young, after some weeks or months.

    The thing is that (as a relatively good approximation), temperature
    over ambient is linearly dependent on power consumption.

    Example:
    If you get 55C (at 25C amb) with a disk consuming 1.5W, that is
    20C/W. With a disk consuming 1.9W, you then get 63C disk temperature
    and likely an early grave for the disk.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread