Fast External Harddisk recommendation needed - Storage

This is a discussion on Fast External Harddisk recommendation needed - Storage ; I need to get an external harddisk for connecting to my Dell laptop. This is basically to expand the disk space of my laptop so I can install more apps to run on it (one of it being Flight Simulator). ...

  1. Fast External Harddisk recommendation needed

    I need to get an external harddisk for connecting to my Dell laptop.
    This is basically to expand the disk space of my laptop so I can
    install more apps to run on it (one of it being Flight Simulator). I
    would like to know what's the best one to get. The external HD can be
    connected either via USB or Firewire, which should I be looking at if
    I need to stream media?

    Basically, I need some good suggestions of which one to get.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Fast External Harddisk recommendation needed

    phuile wrote:

    > I need to get an external harddisk for connecting to my Dell laptop.

    > This is basically to expand the disk space of my laptop so I can
    > install more apps to run on it (one of it being Flight Simulator).
    > I would like to know what's the best one to get.

    I'd avoid the Maxtors, they dont cool the drives
    very well at all and die like flys because they dont.

    > The external HD can be connected either via USB or Firewire,
    > which should I be looking at if I need to stream media?

    Both will do that fine as long as you have USB2.

    > Basically, I need some good suggestions of which one to get.

    I personally prefer to buy a decent housing separately
    and put a normal drive in that. That way you get the full
    3-5 year warranty rather than the universal 1 year
    warranty that the packaged external drives have.

    That does require more of you than taking a packaged drive out of the box tho.

  3. Re: Fast External Harddisk recommendation needed

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage phuile wrote:
    > I need to get an external harddisk for connecting to my Dell laptop.
    > This is basically to expand the disk space of my laptop so I can
    > install more apps to run on it (one of it being Flight Simulator). I
    > would like to know what's the best one to get. The external HD can be
    > connected either via USB or Firewire, which should I be looking at if
    > I need to stream media?

    > Basically, I need some good suggestions of which one to get.

    > Thanks!

    If fast is needed, your best bet is eSATA. There may be suitable
    controller cards, depending on the type of card slot your
    laptop has.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread