Removing drive from Raid1 destroys data? - Storage

This is a discussion on Removing drive from Raid1 destroys data? - Storage ; I have a computer with Intel Matrix Raid (ICH6R) that has never given me anything but problems. The RAID volumes are constantly failing, not due to hard drive failures, but the implementation of RAID simply seems to be junk. Latest ...

  1. Removing drive from Raid1 destroys data?

    I have a computer with Intel Matrix Raid (ICH6R) that has never given me
    anything but problems. The RAID volumes are constantly failing, not due
    to hard drive failures, but the implementation of RAID simply seems to
    be junk. Latest problem is that adding a drive to the system (not to
    the RAID volume) causes the RAID volume to fail.

    Anyways, my system partition is the RAID1 portion of the disk. I'd like
    to give up on Matrix RAID, but when I go to remove the drives from the
    RAID array, it warns that all data will be lost. Maybe it's saying that
    because most of the drive is allocated to a RAID 0 volume, which I don't
    care about. But the first volume is RAID1, will it really be lost?

  2. Re: Removing drive from Raid1 destroys data?

    Previously timeOday wrote:
    > I have a computer with Intel Matrix Raid (ICH6R) that has never given me
    > anything but problems. The RAID volumes are constantly failing, not due
    > to hard drive failures, but the implementation of RAID simply seems to
    > be junk. Latest problem is that adding a drive to the system (not to
    > the RAID volume) causes the RAID volume to fail.

    > Anyways, my system partition is the RAID1 portion of the disk. I'd like
    > to give up on Matrix RAID, but when I go to remove the drives from the
    > RAID array, it warns that all data will be lost. Maybe it's saying that
    > because most of the drive is allocated to a RAID 0 volume, which I don't
    > care about. But the first volume is RAID1, will it really be lost?

    Should not be, but you never know with these ElCheapo RAID
    controllers. Better update your backup before removing the
    disk.

    Arno

  3. Re: Removing drive from Raid1 destroys data?

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:5kpomgF4gjveU1@mid.individual.net...
    > Previously timeOday wrote:
    >> I have a computer with Intel Matrix Raid (ICH6R) that has never given me

    > Should not be, but you never know with these ElCheapo RAID
    > controllers. Better update your backup before removing the
    > disk.

    Right Annie, Intel is ElCheapo now.

+ Reply to Thread