Problem with Cruzer Micro... - Storage

This is a discussion on Problem with Cruzer Micro... - Storage ; I have a computer system with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard running WinXP. All the latest drivers, all the latest patches, latest BIOS......... After much head bashing with a continual reboot problem, I have discovered that if I have my SanDsk ...

  1. Problem with Cruzer Micro...

    I have a computer system with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard running WinXP.
    All the latest drivers, all the latest patches, latest BIOS.........

    After much head bashing with a continual reboot problem, I have
    discovered that if I have my SanDsk 512MB Cruzer Micro plugged in to
    any USB port, then WinXP will just keep continually rebooting. If I
    remove the Cruzer Micro, the system boots just fine!

    And to and an even more bizarre twist, once the system has booted, I
    can plugh the Cruzer Micro in and access it without any problems.

    I have tried the Cruzer Micro in another computer, and the other
    computer can boot up just fine with it plugged into any USB port.

    Now that I know I can reliably boot my system and access the data, I
    can certainly work around this. But I would much rather correct the
    problem.

    Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas???

    Thanks

  2. Re: Problem with Cruzer Micro...

    Previously NewMan wrote:
    > I have a computer system with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard running WinXP.
    > All the latest drivers, all the latest patches, latest BIOS.........

    > After much head bashing with a continual reboot problem, I have
    > discovered that if I have my SanDsk 512MB Cruzer Micro plugged in to
    > any USB port, then WinXP will just keep continually rebooting. If I
    > remove the Cruzer Micro, the system boots just fine!

    > And to and an even more bizarre twist, once the system has booted, I
    > can plugh the Cruzer Micro in and access it without any problems.

    > I have tried the Cruzer Micro in another computer, and the other
    > computer can boot up just fine with it plugged into any USB port.

    > Now that I know I can reliably boot my system and access the data, I
    > can certainly work around this. But I would much rather correct the
    > problem.

    > Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas???

    Make sure USB storage is after HDDs in the BIOS boot order or not
    enabled at all. USB boot devices may also be losted as "externa drives",
    "removable storage" or the like.

    You can also try to mark the partition on the USB stick as
    non-bootable (i.e. non-active).

    My guess is the USB key is bootable but has no system on it. One
    computer correctly then tries the next bootable option, while
    the other fails to try with more devices.

    Arno

  3. Re: Problem with Cruzer Micro...

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:36:57 -0700, NewMan
    wrote:

    >Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas???

    Sounds like an issue with your PC's USB system or the driver somehow.
    I had an odd issue that if I leave my camera plugged in, PC wouldn't
    go past the BIOS screen. It'd hang but when I unplugged it, the PC
    would run just fine. Changing the BIOS setting to not look for
    bootable USB drive didn't make a difference. Reformatted and
    reinstalled Windows, no change. HP eventually replaced both the PC
    and the camera under warranty. Yes, HP brand PC and HP brand camera
    wouldn't play nice during bootup. The replacement set worked just
    fine.
    --
    sales@platshop.com disgust me. sales@platshop.com spams a lot in game
    so I am posting sales@platshop.com as often as possible so sales@platshop.com

  4. Re: Problem with Cruzer Micro...

    Yikes! I hope it does not come to that. This would be a pain in the
    neck.

    Will update later.

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 04:46:34 GMT, Impmon wrote:

    >On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:36:57 -0700, NewMan
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas???

    >Sounds like an issue with your PC's USB system or the driver somehow.
    >I had an odd issue that if I leave my camera plugged in, PC wouldn't
    >go past the BIOS screen. It'd hang but when I unplugged it, the PC
    >would run just fine. Changing the BIOS setting to not look for
    >bootable USB drive didn't make a difference. Reformatted and
    >reinstalled Windows, no change. HP eventually replaced both the PC
    >and the camera under warranty. Yes, HP brand PC and HP brand camera
    >wouldn't play nice during bootup. The replacement set worked just
    >fine.

  5. Re: Problem with Cruzer Micro...

    On 10 Sep 2007 19:39:36 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >Previously NewMan wrote:
    >> I have a computer system with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard running WinXP.
    >> All the latest drivers, all the latest patches, latest BIOS.........

    >> After much head bashing with a continual reboot problem, I have
    >> discovered that if I have my SanDsk 512MB Cruzer Micro plugged in to
    >> any USB port, then WinXP will just keep continually rebooting. If I
    >> remove the Cruzer Micro, the system boots just fine!

    >> And to and an even more bizarre twist, once the system has booted, I
    >> can plugh the Cruzer Micro in and access it without any problems.

    >> I have tried the Cruzer Micro in another computer, and the other
    >> computer can boot up just fine with it plugged into any USB port.

    >> Now that I know I can reliably boot my system and access the data, I
    >> can certainly work around this. But I would much rather correct the
    >> problem.

    >> Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas???

    >Make sure USB storage is after HDDs in the BIOS boot order or not
    >enabled at all. USB boot devices may also be losted as "externa drives",
    >"removable storage" or the like.
    >
    >You can also try to mark the partition on the USB stick as
    >non-bootable (i.e. non-active).

    My experience is that USB drives come preformatted as "Super
    Floppies", ie no MBR or partition table. Is that the norm or the
    exception to the rule?

    >My guess is the USB key is bootable but has no system on it. One
    >computer correctly then tries the next bootable option, while
    >the other fails to try with more devices.
    >
    >Arno

    - Franc Zabkar

  6. Re: Problem with Cruzer Micro...

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On 10 Sep 2007 19:39:36 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
    > to keyboard and composed:

    >>Previously NewMan wrote:
    >>> I have a computer system with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard running WinXP.
    >>> All the latest drivers, all the latest patches, latest BIOS.........

    >>> After much head bashing with a continual reboot problem, I have
    >>> discovered that if I have my SanDsk 512MB Cruzer Micro plugged in to
    >>> any USB port, then WinXP will just keep continually rebooting. If I
    >>> remove the Cruzer Micro, the system boots just fine!

    >>> And to and an even more bizarre twist, once the system has booted, I
    >>> can plugh the Cruzer Micro in and access it without any problems.

    >>> I have tried the Cruzer Micro in another computer, and the other
    >>> computer can boot up just fine with it plugged into any USB port.

    >>> Now that I know I can reliably boot my system and access the data, I
    >>> can certainly work around this. But I would much rather correct the
    >>> problem.

    >>> Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas???

    >>Make sure USB storage is after HDDs in the BIOS boot order or not
    >>enabled at all. USB boot devices may also be losted as "externa drives",
    >>"removable storage" or the like.
    >>
    >>You can also try to mark the partition on the USB stick as
    >>non-bootable (i.e. non-active).

    > My experience is that USB drives come preformatted as "Super
    > Floppies", ie no MBR or partition table. Is that the norm or the
    > exception to the rule?

    I have no idea. The first thing I do with them is a complete
    wipe, since many manufacturers are now putting suspicuous trash
    on them.

    Arno

  7. Re: Problem with Cruzer Micro...

    BINGO!

    I looked at the Boot priority list in the BIOS, and "Removeable Drive"
    was the FIRST in the list.

    I re-assigned the list to #1 - CR-ROM, #2 Hard Drive, #3 Unassigned,
    #4 Unassigned.

    Now computer boots properly with USB Cruzer Micro plugged in!

    Seems kinds stupid that the Mobo is smart enough to auto-reboot, but
    NOT smart enough to realize that the #1 boot device is NOT bootable
    and therefore move to #2 in the list! And this is with the latest
    BIOS.

    Oh well!

    Problem solved for now.

    Many thanks.

    On 10 Sep 2007 19:39:36 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Previously NewMan wrote:
    >> I have a computer system with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard running WinXP.
    >> All the latest drivers, all the latest patches, latest BIOS.........

    >> After much head bashing with a continual reboot problem, I have
    >> discovered that if I have my SanDsk 512MB Cruzer Micro plugged in to
    >> any USB port, then WinXP will just keep continually rebooting. If I
    >> remove the Cruzer Micro, the system boots just fine!

    >> And to and an even more bizarre twist, once the system has booted, I
    >> can plugh the Cruzer Micro in and access it without any problems.

    >> I have tried the Cruzer Micro in another computer, and the other
    >> computer can boot up just fine with it plugged into any USB port.

    >> Now that I know I can reliably boot my system and access the data, I
    >> can certainly work around this. But I would much rather correct the
    >> problem.

    >> Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas???

    >Make sure USB storage is after HDDs in the BIOS boot order or not
    >enabled at all. USB boot devices may also be losted as "externa drives",
    >"removable storage" or the like.
    >
    >You can also try to mark the partition on the USB stick as
    >non-bootable (i.e. non-active).
    >
    >My guess is the USB key is bootable but has no system on it. One
    >computer correctly then tries the next bootable option, while
    >the other fails to try with more devices.
    >
    >Arno

  8. Re: Problem with Cruzer Micro...

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:50:00 -0700, NewMan
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >BINGO!
    >
    >I looked at the Boot priority list in the BIOS, and "Removeable Drive"
    >was the FIRST in the list.
    >
    >I re-assigned the list to #1 - CR-ROM, #2 Hard Drive, #3 Unassigned,
    >#4 Unassigned.
    >
    >Now computer boots properly with USB Cruzer Micro plugged in!
    >
    >Seems kinds stupid that the Mobo is smart enough to auto-reboot, but
    >NOT smart enough to realize that the #1 boot device is NOT bootable
    >and therefore move to #2 in the list! And this is with the latest
    >BIOS.

    In your first post you stated that Win XP was rebooting. How did it
    get that far if it baulked at the first [non-bootable?] device in the
    boot order?

    - Franc Zabkar