CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI? - Storage

This is a discussion on CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI? - Storage ; Is it possible to buy a CF/SD card or generally flash storage on a mini-PCI card? I have a device with a mini-PCI card, and would like to add it some "storage" - I thought I could use mini-PCI for ...

  1. CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI?

    Is it possible to buy a CF/SD card or generally flash storage on a
    mini-PCI card?

    I have a device with a mini-PCI card, and would like to add it some
    "storage" - I thought I could use mini-PCI for it.

    Does something like "storage" (1GB etc.) on a mini-PCI exist at all?
    I tried to search on the internet, but all I found were wireless cards
    and modems on a mini-PCI.

    --
    Tomasz Chmielewski
    http://wpkg.org

  2. Re: CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI?

    Tomasz Chmielewski wrote

    > Is it possible to buy a CF/SD card or generally flash storage on a mini-PCI card?

    > I have a device with a mini-PCI card, and would like to add it some "storage" - I thought I could use mini-PCI for it.

    > Does something like "storage" (1GB etc.) on a mini-PCI exist at all?

    Dont recall seeing any, but a card reader would provide that.

    > I tried to search on the internet, but all I found were wireless cards and modems on a mini-PCI.

    Just use a card reader on the USB etc.

  3. Re: CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI?

    Rod Speed schrieb:
    > Tomasz Chmielewski wrote
    >
    >> Is it possible to buy a CF/SD card or generally flash storage on a mini-PCI card?

    >> I have a device with a mini-PCI card, and would like to add it some "storage" - I thought I could use mini-PCI for it.

    >> Does something like "storage" (1GB etc.) on a mini-PCI exist at all?

    > Dont recall seeing any, but a card reader would provide that.
    >
    >> I tried to search on the internet, but all I found were wireless cards and modems on a mini-PCI.

    > Just use a card reader on the USB etc.

    Well, the device doesn't have USB; the only way I can extend it, is
    mini-PCI - or, a serial port, which is even more hopeless

    Are there card-readers for mini-PCI slots?

    --
    Tomasz Chmielewski
    http://wpkg.org

  4. Re: CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI?

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 23:12:22 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Rod Speed schrieb:
    >> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to buy a CF/SD card or generally flash storage on a mini-PCI card?

    >>> I have a device with a mini-PCI card, and would like to add it some "storage" - I thought I could use mini-PCI for it.

    >>> Does something like "storage" (1GB etc.) on a mini-PCI exist at all?

    >> Dont recall seeing any, but a card reader would provide that.
    >>
    >>> I tried to search on the internet, but all I found were wireless cards and modems on a mini-PCI.

    >> Just use a card reader on the USB etc.

    >Well, the device doesn't have USB; the only way I can extend it, is
    >mini-PCI - or, a serial port, which is even more hopeless
    >
    >Are there card-readers for mini-PCI slots?

    Can you get USB on a mini-PCI card?

    Alternatively, if you have an IDE port, then you could look for an
    IDE-to-CF adapter. This is a passive device, ie no electronics, just
    connectors and wiring.

    If you are prepared to scrounge, some DVD players/recorders have
    IDE-USB or IDE-CF/SD adapter PCBs for connecting external storage
    devices to the decoder board's IDE port.

    - Franc Zabkar

  5. Re: CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI?

    Tomasz Chmielewski wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote

    >>> Is it possible to buy a CF/SD card or generally flash storage on a mini-PCI card?

    >>> I have a device with a mini-PCI card, and would like to add it some "storage" - I thought I could use mini-PCI for
    >>> it.

    >>> Does something like "storage" (1GB etc.) on a mini-PCI exist at all?

    >> Dont recall seeing any, but a card reader would provide that.

    >>> I tried to search on the internet, but all I found were wireless
    >>> cards and modems on a mini-PCI.

    >> Just use a card reader on the USB etc.

    > Well, the device doesn't have USB;

    You should be able to find a mini-PCI USB card.

    > the only way I can extend it, is mini-PCI - or, a serial port, which is even more hopeless

    > Are there card-readers for mini-PCI slots?

    Likely.

  6. Re: CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI?

    Franc Zabkar schrieb:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 23:12:22 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >> Rod Speed schrieb:
    >>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote

    >>> Dont recall seeing any, but a card reader would provide that.

    >>> Just use a card reader on the USB etc.

    >> Well, the device doesn't have USB; the only way I can extend it, is
    >> mini-PCI - or, a serial port, which is even more hopeless
    >>
    >> Are there card-readers for mini-PCI slots?

    > Can you get USB on a mini-PCI card?

    Yes, I indeed found USB on a mini-PCI.
    It needs 5V though, which means cutting cables and soldering...

    If I don't find anything better, I'll of course use that, but a
    CF/SD/flash on a mini-PCI - put it in, put a card in, and it work -
    would be just great.

    > Alternatively, if you have an IDE port, then you could look for an
    > IDE-to-CF adapter. This is a passive device, ie no electronics, just
    > connectors and wiring.

    No IDE here.

    --
    Tomasz Chmielewski