How much hardware do I need? - Storage

This is a discussion on How much hardware do I need? - Storage ; I am making a system which uses a SQL database (currently H2) for data acquisition. This requires many very small disk writes. Initial benchmarking of the database with a plain-Jane 7200 RPM IDE desktop drive, probably 3 or 4 years ...

  1. How much hardware do I need?

    I am making a system which uses a SQL database (currently H2) for data
    acquisition. This requires many very small disk writes.

    Initial benchmarking of the database with a plain-Jane 7200 RPM IDE
    desktop drive, probably 3 or 4 years old, reveals the maximum rate of
    insertions is only about 30% of what we need. It is I/O rather than CPU
    bound.

    We could put more effort ($$$) making the code more optimized (and
    complex), but I'd rather just buy faster storage if possible.

    Is a current fast hard drive (say, a Raptor) likely to triple database
    insert speed? I'm guessing not. How about a RAID array - what sort of
    card, which RAID level, and how many drives might be required?

    I realize nothing is guaranteed based on the information I've provided,
    but economically, it's well worth it for me to just buy it and see, if
    there's a decent chance of success.

  2. Re: How much hardware do I need?

    Previously timeOday wrote:
    > I am making a system which uses a SQL database (currently H2) for data
    > acquisition. This requires many very small disk writes.

    > Initial benchmarking of the database with a plain-Jane 7200 RPM IDE
    > desktop drive, probably 3 or 4 years old, reveals the maximum rate of
    > insertions is only about 30% of what we need. It is I/O rather than CPU
    > bound.

    > We could put more effort ($$$) making the code more optimized (and
    > complex), but I'd rather just buy faster storage if possible.

    > Is a current fast hard drive (say, a Raptor) likely to triple database
    > insert speed? I'm guessing not. How about a RAID array - what sort of
    > card, which RAID level, and how many drives might be required?

    > I realize nothing is guaranteed based on the information I've provided,
    > but economically, it's well worth it for me to just buy it and see, if
    > there's a decent chance of success.

    A Raptor gives you lower latency and sligly lower seek time.
    Say 30% more transactions per second or so. RAID gains you
    notning in terms of access speed, only throughput, i.e. nothing
    in your application.

    Your options are:
    - Try a different Database system or
    - Try different setting of the database system.
    - Use a FLASH disk (not an USB stick, there are FLASH disks out there
    exactly for database acceleration).
    - Use a RAMdisk designed for database acceleration. These have
    backup HDDs and batteries and are very expensive.
    - Write a log instead of a database and consolidate the log offline

    The only ones of these that work (unless your database system is
    really broken) is the move to FLASH or RAM. Theya re also likely
    the most expensive option.

    Arno

  3. Re: How much hardware do I need?

    timeOday wrote:

    > I am making a system which uses a SQL database (currently H2) for data
    > acquisition. This requires many very small disk writes.
    >
    > Initial benchmarking of the database with a plain-Jane 7200 RPM IDE
    > desktop drive, probably 3 or 4 years old, reveals the maximum rate of
    > insertions is only about 30% of what we need. It is I/O rather than CPU
    > bound.
    >
    > We could put more effort ($$$) making the code more optimized (and
    > complex), but I'd rather just buy faster storage if possible.
    >
    > Is a current fast hard drive (say, a Raptor) likely to triple database
    > insert speed? I'm guessing not. How about a RAID array - what sort of
    > card, which RAID level, and how many drives might be required?
    >
    > I realize nothing is guaranteed based on the information I've provided,
    > but economically, it's well worth it for me to just buy it and see, if
    > there's a decent chance of success.

    Write to a virtual disk in ram and move it to rotating disk periodically
    (if at all).

  4. Re: How much hardware do I need?

    Hi
    Go get a Hard disk of minimum of 80 GB of hard disk space, Memory
    DDram of Minimum of 256Mb and CPU of 1.2Mhz. Go to any of those sites
    to compare and purchase those item to create your database system. I
    have remember that a system that contains important data's should not
    be connected to the internet to keep it safe. Here are the site to
    shop for the components

    1. Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=380557

    2. Tiger direct
    http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...type=4&subid=0

    Isaac okoye
    Information Rules the World
    http://www.finditall100free.ds4a.com

  5. Re: How much hardware do I need?

    Previously isaac4all wrote:
    > Hi
    > Go get a Hard disk of minimum of 80 GB of hard disk space, Memory
    > DDram of Minimum of 256Mb and CPU of 1.2Mhz. Go to any of those sites
    > to compare and purchase those item to create your database system. I
    > have remember that a system that contains important data's should not
    > be connected to the internet to keep it safe. Here are the site to
    > shop for the components

    > 1. Amazon
    > http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=380557

    > 2. Tiger direct
    > http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...type=4&subid=0

    > Isaac okoye
    > Information Rules the World
    > http://www.finditall100free.ds4a.com

    Complete nonsense, I am afraid.

    Arno

  6. Re: How much hardware do I need?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:5ksb1tF54vbjU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously isaac4all wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Go get a Hard disk of minimum of 80 GB of hard disk space, Memory
    > > DDram of Minimum of 256Mb and CPU of 1.2Mhz. Go to any of those sites
    > > to compare and purchase those item to create your database system. I
    > > have remember that a system that contains important data's should not
    > > be connected to the internet to keep it safe. Here are the site to
    > > shop for the components

    > > 1. Amazon
    > > http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=380557

    > > 2. Tiger direct