Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate - Storage

This is a discussion on Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate - Storage ; On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:06:25 +0200, Christian Franke put finger to keyboard and composed: >Franc Zabkar wrote: >> ... >>>> I'm running Win98SE. ... >>>> >>> SMART diagnostic I/O does not show up as Windows I/O. >> >> Understood, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:06:25 +0200, Christian Franke
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>> SMART diagnostic I/O does not show up as Windows I/O.

    >> Understood, and that's essentially what I wrote. I merely used Filemon
    >> to confirm that Everest wasn't doing something else as well. So the
    >> question remains, why does SMART diagnostic I/O cause the Seek Error
    >> Rate figure to change?
    >>

    >Any attribute may be updated during a "Auto Offline Data Collection".
    >This is intended to update the SMART attributes marked "Offline".

    OK, but why does the Seek Error Rate increase by 10 points when this
    happens, if indeed that is what is happening? SmartUDM indicates that
    SMART error logging is not supported, nor is SMART self-test, so I
    can't see why the drive would be accessing the platters. Wouldn't the
    SMART data be written to RAM or flash? In any case it seems to me that
    the Seek Error Rate parameter is more like a count than a rate.

    I have also verified that the Seek Error Rate figure increases by 10
    in real DOS mode when using SmartUDM. Smartdrv is caching the disc
    when I do this.

    >There is more detailed info in the smartctl man page.
    >See the description of the "--offlineauto" option at:
    >http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net...martctl.8.html
    >(BTW: this tool works also on Win9x/ME if driver provides smartvsd.vxd)
    >
    >Christian

    I can't get Smartctl to run on my Win98SE box. Everest Home Edition
    (Windows) has no problem, nor does SmartUDM (DOS). SMART is enabled in
    the BIOS setup.

    smartctl -s on -a hda
    smartctl version 5.37 [i686-mingw32-98] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce
    Allen
    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family: Seagate U8 family
    Device Model: ST313021A
    Serial Number: 6CT0C4JE
    Firmware Version: 3.03
    User Capacity: 13,022,324,736 bytes
    Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is: 5
    ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    Local Time is: Tue Sep 04 13:50:44 2007 AUSEST
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled

    === START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
    SMART Enabled.
    SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
    Press any key to continue . . .

    smartctl -c hda
    smartctl version 5.37 [i686-mingw32-98] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce
    Allen
    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
    Press any key to continue . . .

    - Franc Zabkar

  2. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:06:25 +0200, Christian Franke
    > <...> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>>

    >> Any attribute may be updated during a "Auto Offline Data Collection".
    >> This is intended to update the SMART attributes marked "Offline".

    > OK, but why does the Seek Error Rate increase by 10 points when this
    > happens, if indeed that is what is happening? SmartUDM indicates that
    > SMART error logging is not supported, nor is SMART self-test, so I
    > can't see why the drive would be accessing the platters.

    "Offline Data Collection" is different from self-test and should be
    supported by a drive with "offline" attributes.

    > Wouldn't the SMART data be written to RAM or flash?

    Probably to disk platter itself;-)

    > In any case it seems to me that
    > the Seek Error Rate parameter is more like a count than a rate.

    Sounds reasonable.

    > I can't get Smartctl to run on my Win98SE box. Everest Home Edition
    > (Windows) has no problem, nor does SmartUDM (DOS). SMART is enabled in
    > the BIOS setup.
    >
    > ================================================== ===================
    > smartctl -s on -a hda
    > smartctl version 5.37 [i686-mingw32-98] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce
    > Allen
    > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    > Model Family: Seagate U8 family
    > Device Model: ST313021A
    > Serial Number: 6CT0C4JE
    > Firmware Version: 3.03
    > User Capacity: 13,022,324,736 bytes
    > Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    > ATA Version is: 5
    > ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    > Local Time is: Tue Sep 04 13:50:44 2007 AUSEST
    > SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    > SMART support is: Enabled
    >
    > === START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
    > SMART Enabled.
    > SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.

    Driver supports SMART, IDENTIFY works and reports SMART enabled, but
    apparently SMART STATUS command returns an unexpected error.
    The command "smartctl -r ioctl,2 -a hda" prints debug output including
    I/O control parameters and return values.

    Christian

  3. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:50:41 +0200, Christian Franke
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:06:25 +0200, Christian Franke
    >> <...> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>>>
    >>> Any attribute may be updated during a "Auto Offline Data Collection".
    >>> This is intended to update the SMART attributes marked "Offline".

    >> OK, but why does the Seek Error Rate increase by 10 points when this
    >> happens, if indeed that is what is happening? SmartUDM indicates that
    >> SMART error logging is not supported, nor is SMART self-test, so I
    >> can't see why the drive would be accessing the platters.

    >"Offline Data Collection" is different from self-test and should be
    >supported by a drive with "offline" attributes.
    >

    > > Wouldn't the SMART data be written to RAM or flash?

    >Probably to disk platter itself;-)

    I'm assuming that the Identify Drive command retrieves data from solid
    state memory and does not entail any seeking. If true, then an
    Identify command should not cause any seek statistic to change.

    To test this, I dropped back to real DOS, enabled Smartdrv disc
    caching, and executed the following sequence of commands:

    find-ata p m
    smartudm
    smartudm
    find-ata p m
    smartudm

    Find-ATA is an old Seagate utility:
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/IDE...y/FIND-ATA.EXE

    The result of the above test was an increase in the Seek Error Rate by
    10 points.

    I then executed the following:

    smartudm
    find-ata p m
    find-ata p m
    find-ata p m
    smartudm

    After 10 repetitions of the Identify command, the Seek Error Rate
    still only increased by 10. This would tend to support the idea that
    the Seek Error Rate is a genuine seek statistic of some kind, and that
    SMART data may be stored on the platters. Having said that, I recall
    reading recently that a firmware upgrade clears the SMART data, at
    least on some brands of HD. This would suggest that such data are
    stored in flash.

    >> In any case it seems to me that
    >> the Seek Error Rate parameter is more like a count than a rate.
    >>

    >Sounds reasonable.

    >> I can't get Smartctl to run on my Win98SE box. Everest Home Edition
    >> (Windows) has no problem, nor does SmartUDM (DOS). SMART is enabled in
    >> the BIOS setup.
    >>
    >> ================================================== ===================
    >> smartctl -s on -a hda

    >> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    >> Model Family: Seagate U8 family
    >> Device Model: ST313021A

    >> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    >> SMART support is: Enabled
    >>
    >> === START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
    >> SMART Enabled.
    >> SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.

    >Driver supports SMART, IDENTIFY works and reports SMART enabled, but
    >apparently SMART STATUS command returns an unexpected error.
    >The command "smartctl -r ioctl,2 -a hda" prints debug output including
    >I/O control parameters and return values.
    >
    >Christian

    Here is the output:
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/Sma...mart_debug.txt

    - Franc Zabkar

  4. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    Christian Franke wrote in news:46DDB711.7060906@t-online.de
    > Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:06:25 +0200, Christian Franke <...> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    > > > >
    > > > Any attribute may be updated during a "Auto Offline Data Collection".
    > > > This is intended to update the SMART attributes marked "Offline".

    > > OK, but why does the Seek Error Rate increase by 10 points when this
    > > happens, if indeed that is what is happening? SmartUDM indicates that
    > > SMART error logging is not supported, nor is SMART self-test, so I
    > > can't see why the drive would be accessing the platters.

    > "Offline Data Collection" is different from self-test and should be
    > supported by a drive with "offline" attributes.
    >

    > > Wouldn't the SMART data be written to RAM or flash?

    > Probably to disk platter itself;-)
    >

    > > In any case it seems to me that
    > > the Seek Error Rate parameter is more like a count than a rate.
    > >

    > Sounds reasonable.

    > > I can't get Smartctl to run on my Win98SE box. Everest Home Edition
    > > (Windows) has no problem, nor does SmartUDM (DOS). SMART is enabled in
    > > the BIOS setup.
    > >
    > > ================================================== ===================
    > > smartctl -s on -a hda
    > > smartctl version 5.37 [i686-mingw32-98] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce
    > > Allen
    > > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    > >
    > > === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    > > Model Family: Seagate U8 family
    > > Device Model: ST313021A
    > > Serial Number: 6CT0C4JE
    > > Firmware Version: 3.03
    > > User Capacity: 13,022,324,736 bytes
    > > Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    > > ATA Version is: 5
    > > ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    > > Local Time is: Tue Sep 04 13:50:44 2007 AUSEST
    > > SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    > > SMART support is: Enabled
    > >
    > > === START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
    > > SMART Enabled.
    > > SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.

    > Driver supports SMART, IDENTIFY works and reports SMART enabled, but
    > apparently SMART STATUS command returns an unexpected error.

    Oh?

    > The command "smartctl -r ioctl,2 -a hda" prints debug output including
    > I/O control parameters and return values.
    >
    > Christian

  5. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate - Rienstra

    On Mon 03 Sep 2007 07:20:48, Franc Zabkar
    wrote:

    >>Like File IO maybe?
    >>
    >>> So the question remains, why does SMART diagnostic I/O cause the

    >>> Seek Error Rate figure to change?

    >>Maybe because it does "SMART diagnostic I/O" ?
    >>Just a calculated guess. What do you think.

    > I think you are a putrefying dog turd that should go into my kill
    > file.
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --

    Rienstra is just some two-bit dutch patent officer who used to work in
    this field who no longer works in this field.

    Not that the native dutch were famous for this sort of thing anyway.

  6. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:50:41 +0200, Christian Franke
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote:

    > > Wouldn't the SMART data be written to RAM or flash?

    >Probably to disk platter itself;-)

    Running SmartUDM on my 120GB Seagate HD causes its Seek Error Rate
    statistic to increase by 8 rather than 10. The 120GB drive supports
    error logging and self test whereas the 13GB drive does not. This
    would suggest that it is the drive's internal activity that is causing
    this figure to rise rather than the software.

    As my 120GB drive is relatively new, and has no reallocated sectors,
    it seems to me that the Seek Error Rate:

    (1) is not a rate but a count.
    (2) does not count errors.
    (3) may represent a cumulative seek count.

    If (3), then ...

    SER / Power On Seconds = 238390167 / 9981 / 3600
    = 6.6 seeks / second

    If the average seek time is ~10ms, then the drive would be capable of
    100 seeks/sec. Does this result support the idea that SER is a
    cumulative seek count? I'm not sure, but in any case, even if it does,
    it shouldn't really play a part in determining the error rate. AFAICS,
    one should be measuring the rolling average seek error rate, ie the
    number of errors in the last 100 or 1000 seeks.

    As for why SMART diagnostic I/O results in 8 or 10 seeks, if indeed it
    does, I'm guessing that SMART data may be written to 8 or 10 redundant
    cylinders, probably at the outer, middle, and inner areas of the disc
    ???

    - Franc Zabkar

  7. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate - Rienstra

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 23:17:06 +0100, maxmillan put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >On Mon 03 Sep 2007 07:20:48, Franc Zabkar
    >wrote:
    >

    >>>Like File IO maybe?

    >>>Maybe because it does "SMART diagnostic I/O" ?
    >>>Just a calculated guess. What do you think.

    >> I think you are a putrefying dog turd that should go into my kill
    >> file.
    >>
    >> - Franc Zabkar
    >> --

    >Rienstra is just some two-bit dutch patent officer who used to work in
    >this field who no longer works in this field.

    A desk jockey. I could have guessed.

    - Franc Zabkar

  8. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    Franc Zabkar wrote in news:9paud39vur83a8saqucvt8mckn5va0b2bl@4ax.com
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:50:41 +0200, Christian Franke put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > > Franc Zabkar wrote:

    > > > Wouldn't the SMART data be written to RAM or flash?

    > > Probably to disk platter itself;-)

    > Running SmartUDM on my 120GB Seagate HD causes its Seek Error Rate
    > statistic to increase by 8 rather than 10. The 120GB drive supports
    > error logging and self test whereas the 13GB drive does not. This
    > would suggest that it is the drive's internal activity that is causing
    > this figure to rise rather than the software.

    Congratulations. You finally figured out what "SMART diagnostic I/O" is.
    And you know what, it only took you 3 days to do it.
    Must be a new australian record.

    [rest of bull**** flushed]

  9. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:50:41 +0200, Christian Franke
    > <...> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>> SMART support is: Enabled
    >>>
    >>> === START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
    >>> SMART Enabled.
    >>> SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.

    >> Driver supports SMART, IDENTIFY works and reports SMART enabled, but
    >> apparently SMART STATUS command returns an unexpected error.
    >> The command "smartctl -r ioctl,2 -a hda" prints debug output including
    >> I/O control parameters and return values.
    >>
    >> Christian

    > Here is the output:
    > http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/Sma...mart_debug.txt

    Thanks for the info.
    SMART STATUS returns function not implemented. Probably a driver issue.
    smartctl does not continue if this function fails.

    Christian

  10. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:10:35 +0200, Christian Franke
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:50:41 +0200, Christian Franke
    >> <...> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>> Driver supports SMART, IDENTIFY works and reports SMART enabled, but
    >>> apparently SMART STATUS command returns an unexpected error.
    >>> The command "smartctl -r ioctl,2 -a hda" prints debug output including
    >>> I/O control parameters and return values.
    >>>
    >>> Christian

    >> Here is the output:
    >> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/Sma...mart_debug.txt
    >>

    >Thanks for the info.
    >SMART STATUS returns function not implemented.

    According to section 3.1.4 of Seagate's U8 Product Manual, the
    "S.M.A.R.T. Return Status" command is implemented for this drive:

    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/.../ata/u8pmb.pdf

    >Probably a driver issue.

    If I have read the SMART specs correctly, the Return Status command is
    a mandatory component of the SMART feature set. Therefore wouldn't it
    be odd if MS omitted this function from its smartvsd driver?

    >smartctl does not continue if this function fails.
    >
    >Christian

    Could you please indulge me by helping me understand the error report?

    I believe the Input line defines the command, features register,
    sector number, sector count, cyl low, cyl high for the Return Status
    subcommand (0xDA).

    But I don't understand the "errno=40". Does this reflect the Status or
    Error registers, or is it internal to the program? AIUI, the Status
    register should be set to 0x40 if there is no error, otherwise the
    Error register should be set to 0x04 "if the device does not support
    this command, or if SMART is disabled".

    REPORT-IOCTL: DeviceFD=0 Command=SMART STATUS
    SMART_SEND_DRIVE_COMMAND failed, Error=1
    Input : CMD=0xb0, FR=0xda, SC=0x00, NS=0x00, CL=0x4f, CH=0xc2,
    SEL=0x00
    REPORT-IOCTL: DeviceFD=0 Command=SMART STATUS returned -1 errno=40
    [Function not implemented]

    - Franc Zabkar

  11. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:10:35 +0200, Christian Franke
    > <...> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >> Thanks for the info.
    >> SMART STATUS returns function not implemented.

    > According to section 3.1.4 of Seagate's U8 Product Manual, the
    > "S.M.A.R.T. Return Status" command is implemented for this drive:
    >
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/.../ata/u8pmb.pdf
    >
    >> Probably a driver issue.

    > If I have read the SMART specs correctly, the Return Status command is
    > a mandatory component of the SMART feature set. Therefore wouldn't it
    > be odd if MS omitted this function from its smartvsd driver?

    It is implemented in smartvsd.vxd and worked at least on Win98SE with
    esdi_506.pdr and smartvsd.vxd from 1999-04-23, MD5:
    7e98fae3d43769bcc0ecc0cdc93b7fdd esdi_506.pdr
    7809459e198163c9f5b65a728367a65d smartvsd.vxd

    Possible issues:

    - smartvsd.vxd detects the drive as not fully supporting SMART. AFIAK,
    ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION (1) is returned for all functions except IDENTIFY
    regardless whether the real ATA function actually works.

    - A third party ATA driver is used.

    - There is a bug in the Win9X code of recent smartmontools releases. The
    very first smartctl windows release 5.29 from 2004 was actually
    developed on 98SE, but I no longer do any regression testing on 9x/ME.
    (All releases are still available at sourceforge. If an older release
    works, please tell me!)

    - The Win98SE has been upgraded from a previous Windows release. It is a
    known issue that Windows setup does not reliably install/upgrade
    smartvxd.vxd. See smartmontools INSTALL file for details.

    > Could you please indulge me by helping me understand the error report?
    >
    > I believe the Input line defines the command, features register,
    > sector number, sector count, cyl low, cyl high for the Return Status
    > subcommand (0xDA).

    Yes.

    > But I don't understand the "errno=40". Does this reflect the Status or
    > Error registers, or is it internal to the program? AIUI, the Status
    > register should be set to 0x40 if there is no error, otherwise the
    > Error register should be set to 0x04 "if the device does not support
    > this command, or if SMART is disabled".
    >
    > ================================================== =================
    > REPORT-IOCTL: DeviceFD=0 Command=SMART STATUS
    > SMART_SEND_DRIVE_COMMAND failed, Error=1
    > Input : CMD=0xb0, FR=0xda, SC=0x00, NS=0x00, CL=0x4f, CH=0xc2,
    > SEL=0x00
    > REPORT-IOCTL: DeviceFD=0 Command=SMART STATUS returned -1 errno=40
    > [Function not implemented]
    > ================================================== =================

    The DeviceIoControl() call returns Error 1 (GetLastError() ==
    ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION). It does not return any ATA registers in this
    case. There is no evidence whether the actual ATA command was executed
    or not.

    Smartmontools is a portable app (8 Platforms) with Linux roots,
    therefore the error code is mapped to more general (C89, POSIX) form
    errno = ENOSYS (40).

    Christian

  12. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:41:25 +0200, Christian Franke
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote:

    >> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:10:35 +0200, Christian Franke
    >> <...> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>> Probably a driver issue.

    >> If I have read the SMART specs correctly, the Return Status command is
    >> a mandatory component of the SMART feature set. Therefore wouldn't it
    >> be odd if MS omitted this function from its smartvsd driver?
    >>

    >It is implemented in smartvsd.vxd and worked at least on Win98SE with
    >esdi_506.pdr and smartvsd.vxd from 1999-04-23, MD5:
    >7e98fae3d43769bcc0ecc0cdc93b7fdd esdi_506.pdr
    >7809459e198163c9f5b65a728367a65d smartvsd.vxd

    I'm using the 1999-04-23 versions of both drivers.

    >Possible issues:
    >
    >- smartvsd.vxd detects the drive as not fully supporting SMART. AFIAK,
    >ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION (1) is returned for all functions except IDENTIFY
    >regardless whether the real ATA function actually works.
    >
    >- A third party ATA driver is used.

    No.

    >- There is a bug in the Win9X code of recent smartmontools releases. The
    >very first smartctl windows release 5.29 from 2004 was actually
    >developed on 98SE, but I no longer do any regression testing on 9x/ME.
    >(All releases are still available at sourceforge. If an older release
    >works, please tell me!)

    Version 5.37 appears to have a bug.

    Version 5.30 works OK, although I thought I was downloading version
    5.29:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=219247

    Here is the output:
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/Smartctl/13gb.log

    Thanks for your help.

    - Franc Zabkar

  13. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:41:25 +0200, Christian Franke
    > <...> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >> - There is a bug in the Win9X code of recent smartmontools releases. The
    >> very first smartctl windows release 5.29 from 2004 was actually
    >> developed on 98SE, but I no longer do any regression testing on 9x/ME.
    >> (All releases are still available at sourceforge. If an older release
    >> works, please tell me!)

    > Version 5.37 appears to have a bug.
    >
    > Version 5.30 works OK, although I thought I was downloading version
    > 5.29:
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=219247
    >
    > Here is the output:
    > http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/Smartctl/13gb.log

    There is actually a regression that was introduced when 3ware RAID
    support was added. I will fix this.

    Release 5.36 and the 5.37 test release 5.37-0-20060720 should work on
    9x/ME. See http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#WindowsInstall for a
    download link for test releases.

    > Thanks for your help.

    Thanks for the bug report.

    Christian

  14. Re: Seagate SMART, Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:24:18 +0200, Christian Franke
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >There is actually a regression that was introduced when 3ware RAID
    >support was added. I will fix this.
    >
    >Release 5.36 and the 5.37 test release 5.37-0-20060720 should work on
    >9x/ME. See http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#WindowsInstall for a
    >download link for test releases.

    Yes, 5.37.0 works.

    - Franc Zabkar