Netvista 6643 hard disk removal - Storage

This is a discussion on Netvista 6643 hard disk removal - Storage ; Hello everybody We have a broken-down Netvista 6643-13D in our office. We could not find anyone who could repair it. So we are thinking of throwing it away. But before we do so we have to take out the hard ...

  1. Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    Hello everybody

    We have a broken-down Netvista 6643-13D in our office. We could not find
    anyone who could repair it. So we are thinking of throwing it away. But
    before we do so we have to take out the hard disk because it contains
    confidential data.

    We don't seem to be able to dismantle the machine to do this.

    Any help, hints, pointer to resources would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you all in advance.

  2. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    Previously sungnee@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello everybody

    > We have a broken-down Netvista 6643-13D in our office. We could not find
    > anyone who could repair it. So we are thinking of throwing it away. But
    > before we do so we have to take out the hard disk because it contains
    > confidential data.

    > We don't seem to be able to dismantle the machine to do this.

    > Any help, hints, pointer to resources would be greatly appreciated.

    > Thank you all in advance.

    If you are throwing it away, some heavy-duty gloves, safety
    goggles and a crowbar may help.

    Arno

  3. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    In article , wrote:
    > We have a broken-down Netvista 6643-13D in our office. We could not find
    > anyone who could repair it. So we are thinking of throwing it away. But
    > before we do so we have to take out the hard disk because it contains
    > confidential data.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...tyle=lenovo&ln
    docid=MIGR-4KCKLN

    Go to IBM.com ; enter your model number. This disassembly diagram
    was about the 6th hit on the page.

    I suspect the big clue is in the instructions for getting the rear
    cover off :
    > Pry off the four snap-on screw covers.

    Hidden screws. Lovely.

    --
    Aidan Karley
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  4. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    Previously Aidan Karley wrote:
    > In article , wrote:
    >> We have a broken-down Netvista 6643-13D in our office. We could not find
    >> anyone who could repair it. So we are thinking of throwing it away. But
    >> before we do so we have to take out the hard disk because it contains
    >> confidential data.
    >>

    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...tyle=lenovo&ln
    > docid=MIGR-4KCKLN

    > Go to IBM.com ; enter your model number. This disassembly diagram
    > was about the 6th hit on the page.

    > I suspect the big clue is in the instructions for getting the rear
    > cover off :
    >> Pry off the four snap-on screw covers.
    >>

    > Hidden screws. Lovely.

    "No user servicable parts inside", obviously. But IBM has impressive
    documentation, also for laptop disassembly. That does redeem them.

    Arno

  5. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    Arno Wagner wrote in message news:5jjllcF3ufs78U2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Aidan Karley wrote:
    > > In article , wrote:
    > > > We have a broken-down Netvista 6643-13D in our office. We could not find
    > > > anyone who could repair it. So we are thinking of throwing it away. But
    > > > before we do so we have to take out the hard disk because it contains
    > > > confidential data.
    > > >

    > > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...tyle=lenovo&ln
    > > docid=MIGR-4KCKLN

    > > Go to IBM.com ; enter your model number. This disassembly diagram
    > > was about the 6th hit on the page.

    > > I suspect the big clue is in the instructions for getting the rear
    > > cover off :
    > > > Pry off the four snap-on screw covers.
    > > >

    > > Hidden screws. Lovely.

    > "No user servicable parts inside", obviously.

    Right, "Prying off four snap-on screw covers" is obviously for pro-fessionals only.

    > But IBM has impressive documentation, also for laptop disassembly.

    So obviously "user servicable parts inside".

    > That does redeem them.

    They'll be so glad that they have the babblebot's chary approval.

    > Arno

    Idjut.

  6. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    This is getting embarrassing. I have unscrewed the screws but they could not
    be pulled out!

    There seems to be some kind of detent at the end of the screw thread that is
    preventing the screw from coming out.

    The documentation said "captured screws". Does the word "captured" mean that
    it is a special kind of screw?

    Thank you all in advance.

  7. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    sungnee@gmail.com wrote:

    >This is getting embarrassing. I have unscrewed the screws but they could not
    >be pulled out!
    >
    >There seems to be some kind of detent at the end of the screw thread that is
    >preventing the screw from coming out.
    >
    >The documentation said "captured screws". Does the word "captured" mean that
    >it is a special kind of screw?

    Yes, it means it won't fall out to be lost. It should still be
    releasing whatever it was holding-on to...

  8. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    Hi
    Here is how to loss off your hard disk out.
    1. Screw off the screws with a star screw driver. Make sure you screw
    off the four screws off your CPU.
    2. After screwing off the case covers side by side.
    3. Proceed to unscrew the section where the hard disk is located. It
    is located the section where the Cd Rom, Floppy is located the front
    of the CPU. This section has a total of eight screws in all that holds
    the hard disk. The hard disk looks like a small box.
    4. After un screwing ling it please note unplug the cables that is
    connected to the power of your hard disk and the parallel cable too.
    5. Then your hard disk is free. Remove it gently. Make sure your bare
    hands do not touch the underneath of the had disk.
    I hope this information will be of great help.

    isaac okoye
    Information Rules the World
    http://www.finditall100free.ds4a.com

  9. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    In article , wrote:
    > There seems to be some kind of detent at the end of the screw thread that is
    > preventing the screw from coming out.
    >
    > The documentation said "captured screws". Does the word "captured" mean that
    > it is a special kind of screw?

    There are several ways of doing it, but "captured screws" normally
    means that there's a washer somewhere on the screw's body that stops them
    falling out and getting lost after their hold on the body of the device has
    been released.

    Not having the machine to play with, there is likely a series of
    catches built into the plastic/ metal casing which provide most of the
    mechanical strength of the join, and the screws hold the corners together.
    So,
    - locate a thin blunt knife ("butter knife" ; the bluntness stops you gouging
    the plastic in the next step) ;
    - observe the *side* of the casing near each screw as you tighten and release
    it, somewhere you'll see the casing flex and a joint be exposed as the
    tensions change ;
    - slacken off the screws fully (they rattle in their holders), then push and
    prod the casing until the loosest joint you identified above allows you to
    insert the butter knife ;
    - work the knife along the casing gap, popping open each catch as you get to
    it (sometimes using one knife in each direction from the initial entry point
    helps) ; observe catches three times before contemplating using more force and
    you'll soon get a feeling for how well-made the case is. IBM machines are
    generally pretty-well made.
    - proceed as your experience dictates.

    > This is getting embarrassing.

    You've discovered an area in which you've not got the necessary skills
    and experience ; you've asked for advice ; you've received it ; you're
    practising on a machine where using a large hammer and a blow torch is
    permissible (you said it's scrap) ; you're expanding your skill-set.
    I don't see any grounds for embarrassment.

    --
    Aidan Karley
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  10. Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    In article <5jjllcF3ufs78U2@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > "No user servicable parts inside",

    Makes certain assumptions about the users ; which might be
    reasonable assumptions about the mass of users, but by the time the
    machine has been turned over and the warning read, you've eliminated
    95%+ of the population ... and in the remainder there are a fair
    proportion of users who may be able to do servicing.
    (This newsgroup is between several Sky-satellite-TV related
    newsgroups in my offline reader, and a certain muggins is wondering if
    the failed channel on the receiver might be a power supply issue, a dry
    joint, or something else that might be fixable. All users are not the
    same.)

    --
    Aidan Karley
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  11. Smile Re: Netvista 6643 hard disk removal

    This note is a year later. I do have experience working on the 6643.

    The screws are behind a covers that pops off, use a screwdriver to pop the covers off.

    The screws back out, but may not come all the way out. That's OK, as long as they are loose. Once loose, they may remain attached to the " Rear Cover" but they will not be screwed into the top cover. The Rear Cover attaches, or pops on and off. Once the screws are loose, grab the bottom of the Rear Cover, near the power supply or base of the 6643 and lift up gently. The cover should start to come loose. The Audio / USB jacks are attached by a cable to the Rear Cover and the Mainboard in the 6643, and you have to roll the Rear cover toward the Audio Jacks.

    IBM - Lenovo maintains, I think, the best support site of any MFG of computers.

    Go to IBM.com, click on the support tab, in the search window, type the model number, i.e. "664313u", without the quotes, and all the support info will show up. the left side will have Product Info, and other options.
    There is a movie index on how to take the Rear Cover off and remove the hard drive.
    The link is below.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-52595

    If you still have the machine and want to get it up and running, I would need to know the symptoms to be of assistance.

    Auggie.

+ Reply to Thread