HDD Password I never set requested on my Toshiba Satellite laptop - please help - Storage

This is a discussion on HDD Password I never set requested on my Toshiba Satellite laptop - please help - Storage ; Hi- I recently turned on my Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151 laptop after several weeks not using it and, after starting with the Toshiba logo & icons, it came to a blank page with "HDD Password =" and a flashing cursor. I ...

  1. HDD Password I never set requested on my Toshiba Satellite laptop - please help

    Hi-

    I recently turned on my Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151 laptop after
    several weeks not using it and, after starting with the Toshiba logo &
    icons, it came to a blank page with "HDD Password =" and a flashing
    cursor.

    I have never set an HDD Password on my computer. Tried typing in a few
    passwords I've used for other things, but after three tries the
    computer just shuts off.

    I need to get the computer to work, or at least retrieve my data. Can
    anyone help or offer ideas? Heard there was a class action lawsuit
    against Toshiba for the same issue with Satellites, but that was the
    6100 series. Anyone else had this problem with Toshibas in my laptop
    series?

    (If there's a Toshiba group I'm unaware of, please direct me there)

    Big thanks,

  2. Re: HDD Password I never set requested on my Toshiba Satellite laptop -please help

    "nycg10014@aol.com" wrote:

    > Hi-
    >
    > I recently turned on my Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151 laptop after
    > several weeks not using it and, after starting with the Toshiba logo &
    > icons, it came to a blank page with "HDD Password =" and a flashing
    > cursor.
    >
    > I have never set an HDD Password on my computer. Tried typing in a few
    > passwords I've used for other things, but after three tries the
    > computer just shuts off.
    >
    > I need to get the computer to work, or at least retrieve my data. Can
    > anyone help or offer ideas? Heard there was a class action lawsuit
    > against Toshiba for the same issue with Satellites, but that was the
    > 6100 series. Anyone else had this problem with Toshibas in my laptop
    > series?
    >
    > (If there's a Toshiba group I'm unaware of, please direct me there)
    >
    > Big thanks,

    Strange you should mention this - I've had a couple of clients in recent
    months who have experienced exactly the same issue.

    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

  3. Re: HDD Password I never set requested on my Toshiba Satellite laptop - please help

    On Apr 7, 3:41 pm, Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > "nycg10...@aol.com" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi-

    > > I recently turned on my Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151 laptop after
    > > several weeks not using it and, after starting with the Toshiba logo &
    > > icons, it came to a blank page with "HDD Password =" and a flashing
    > > cursor.

    > > I have never set an HDD Password on my computer. Tried typing in a few
    > > passwords I've used for other things, but after three tries the
    > > computer just shuts off.

    > > I need to get the computer to work, or at least retrieve my data. Can
    > > anyone help or offer ideas? Heard there was a class action lawsuit
    > > against Toshiba for the same issue with Satellites, but that was the
    > > 6100 series. Anyone else had this problem with Toshibas in my laptop
    > > series?

    > > (If there's a Toshiba group I'm unaware of, please direct me there)

    > > Big thanks,

    > Strange you should mention this - I've had a couple of clients in recent
    > months who have experienced exactly the same issue.
    >
    > Odie
    > --
    > Retrodatawww.retrodata.co.uk
    > Globally Local Data Recovery Experts- Hide quoted text -

    Maybe this is a widespread problem like the 6100 series? How did you
    resolve it, and about how much did it cost? If they can post I'd like
    to get in touch with them - they can email me - thanks!

  4. Re: HDD Password I never set requested on my Toshiba Satellite laptop - please help

    On 7 Apr 2007 11:13:53 -0700, "nycg10014@aol.com"
    had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >Hi-
    >
    >I recently turned on my Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151 laptop after
    >several weeks not using it and, after starting with the Toshiba logo &
    >icons, it came to a blank page with "HDD Password =" and a flashing
    >cursor.
    >
    >I have never set an HDD Password on my computer. Tried typing in a few
    >passwords I've used for other things, but after three tries the
    >computer just shuts off.
    >
    >I need to get the computer to work, or at least retrieve my data. Can
    >anyone help or offer ideas? Heard there was a class action lawsuit
    >against Toshiba for the same issue with Satellites, but that was the
    >6100 series. Anyone else had this problem with Toshibas in my laptop
    >series?
    >
    >(If there's a Toshiba group I'm unaware of, please direct me there)
    >
    >Big thanks,

    There is a user forum at
    http://community.compuserve.com/n/pf...btag=ws-laptop
    And they'll tell you to bring it to a Toshiba Premiere Authorized
    Service provider, you can find one at www.pcrepair.toshiba.com
    Stephen
    --

  5. Re: HDD Password I never set requested on my Toshiba Satellite laptop - please help

    In article <4617F3E2.FFBE8391@hotmail.com>, Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > > I recently turned on my Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151 laptop after
    > > several weeks not using it and, after starting with the Toshiba logo &
    > > icons, it came to a blank page with "HDD Password =" and a flashing
    > > cursor.

    [SNIP]

    > Strange you should mention this - I've had a couple of clients in recent
    > months who have experienced exactly the same issue.

    I actually tripped across something about this recently. Well, it
    certainly sounded similar. And by the magic of having dropped my notes
    about it onto the network drive, instead of leaving them on the wife's
    computer, I've got the relevant URL :
    http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/08/172/

    It's an article from c't Magazine, translated into English as :
    [INTRO]
    Harald Bögeholz
    At Your Disservice
    How ATA security functions jeopardize your data
    With most notebooks it is possible to secure the hard disk against
    unauthorized access with the aid of a password. Without the latter the
    disk, even when inserted into another computer, won't divulge its data. In
    the meantime this security function has become a feature of all 3.5" ATA
    hard disks and can hence be used - and abused - on desktop PCs!
    [SCENARIO]
    One morning the screen stays blank - disk boot failure, insert system disk
    and press Enter. Could it be that the hard disk has given up the ghost
    overnight? No unusual noises can be heard and the disk does register with
    the BIOS. A DOS from a diskette boots suspiciously slowly and cannot
    access the hard disk - things aren't looking too good. And so into the
    Internet at the double with your second PC in search of diagnostic
    software. In such cases Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test [LINK] is a blessing;
    its diagnosis tells you: "Device is password protected and cannot be
    tested." The hard disk is password protected. And who did that? And what
    is more important still: What is the password and how do I remove it?

    I'm not going to reprint more of the article here (read the
    original in German if you've got enough ; I don't), but it does sound
    relevant. The article goes into some detail about the various ways that
    this significant security feature can (or should) be implemented, and how
    most laptop manufacturers get it right, though many desktop BIOS
    manufacturers have done it wrongly, or at least with a potentially
    exploitable hole.
    I read it twice trying to work out /a priori/ if my machines might
    be vulnerable, then realised that the simplest thing to do would be to
    download the testing tool that c't had written, retrieve the stick of
    CD-RWs from the daughter's bedroom (this was the most hazardous part of
    the operation) and then do the test. Desktop has a sensibly-secured BIOS
    (by c't's standards) ; end of my reading, move on to next problem in life.

    I'll let you decide if the article is describing your situation ; I don't
    understand it fully and wouldn't want to confuse you with my
    misunderstandings.

    --
    Aidan Karley
    Aberdeen, Scotland