Can a USB external HDD be spun down? - Storage

This is a discussion on Can a USB external HDD be spun down? - Storage ; Hi, I was wondering if there is a way of spinning down an external USB HDD in windows 2000 when inactivein the same way that an internal HDD can be? I used to have a firewire/USB enclosure that did this ...

  1. Can a USB external HDD be spun down?

    Hi,

    I was wondering if there is a way of spinning down an external USB HDD
    in windows 2000 when inactivein the same way that an internal HDD can
    be?

    I used to have a firewire/USB enclosure that did this in firewire but
    not usb.

    Have just replaced it with an akansa box.

    Any ideas how I could achieve this? Would save power, heat, and
    improve disk longevity!

    Thanks
    squelch41

  2. Re: Can a USB external HDD be spun down?

    Previously squelch41@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I was wondering if there is a way of spinning down an external USB HDD
    > in windows 2000 when inactivein the same way that an internal HDD can
    > be?

    > I used to have a firewire/USB enclosure that did this in firewire but
    > not usb.

    > Have just replaced it with an akansa box.

    > Any ideas how I could achieve this? Would save power, heat, and
    > improve disk longevity!

    It cannot be done. The required command simply cannot be sent
    over USB in any standardized way.

    The only thing that might be possible is to have the disk spin itself
    down if inactive for some time. In order to set this (if the disk
    supports it), it has to be directly connected via (A)ATA and some HDD
    feature tool has to be used to make the changes.

    Arno

  3. Re: Can a USB external HDD be spun down?

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:5390imF1r0eqeU2@mid.individual.net...
    > Previously squelch41@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if there is a way of spinning down an external USB HDD
    >> in windows 2000 when inactivein the same way that an internal HDD can
    >> be?

    >> I used to have a firewire/USB enclosure that did this in firewire but
    >> not usb.

    >> Any ideas how I could achieve this? Would save power, heat, and
    >> improve disk longevity!

    It can be done in principle with the SCSI spin-down command,
    but no SCSI utility for Windows sees USB drives. [it is a trivial Win32 application ...]

    > It cannot be done. The required command simply cannot be sent
    > over USB in any standardized way.

    More clueless advice from the resident idiot.

    > The only thing that might be possible is to have the disk spin itself
    > down if inactive for some time. In order to set this (if the disk
    > supports it), it has to be directly connected via (A)ATA and some HDD
    > feature tool has to be used to make the changes.

  4. Re: Can a USB external HDD be spun down?

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:5390imF1r0eqeU2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously squelch41@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I was wondering if there is a way of spinning down an external USB HDD
    > > in windows 2000 when inactivein the same way that an internal HDD can
    > > be?

    > > I used to have a firewire/USB enclosure that did this in firewire but
    > > not usb.

    > > Have just replaced it with an akansa box.

    > > Any ideas how I could achieve this? Would save power, heat, and
    > > improve disk longevity!

    > It cannot be done.

    Of course it can, for the same reason that you (don't) say it cannot.
    If it can be done for firewire then obviously it can be done with USB too.

    Whether it works depends on how much of the SCSI command set has
    been implemented in the bridge device.

    > The required command simply cannot be sent over USB in any standardized way.

    Yes it can, clueless babblebot.

    > The only thing that might be possible is to have the disk spin itself
    > down if inactive for some time. In order to set this (if the disk
    > supports it), it has to be directly connected via (A)ATA

    > and some HDD feature tool

    Such as there is?

    > has to be used to make the changes.
    >
    > Arno