chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message - Storage

This is a discussion on chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message - Storage ; This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An unspecified error occurred"? After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the prompt to run at startup which I say yes to. After startup, ...

  1. chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
    unspecified error occurred"?

    After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the prompt
    to run at startup which I say yes to.

    After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately the
    message: "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk terminates
    and xp pr sp2 loads.

    Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?

    It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive. I can run chkdsk c:
    /p from the recovery console to do full scan for bad sectors, and both
    disks are fine.

    I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
    immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
    return code problem.

    I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
    and everything seems ok otherwise.

    Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?
    There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
    so early.

    Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?

  2. Re: chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:13:01 -0800, John. wrote:

    >This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
    >unspecified error occurred"?
    >
    >After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the prompt
    >to run at startup which I say yes to.
    >
    >After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately the
    >message: "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk terminates
    >and xp pr sp2 loads.
    >
    >Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?
    >
    >It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive. I can run chkdsk c:
    >/p from the recovery console to do full scan for bad sectors, and both
    >disks are fine.
    >
    >I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
    >immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
    >return code problem.
    >
    >I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
    >and everything seems ok otherwise.
    >
    >Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?
    >There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
    >so early.
    >
    >Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?

    Perhaps you have something loading at boottime that is interfering with
    the chkdsk process. What things are listed in the bootexecute string in
    the registry at the following key?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager

    You can enable boot logging from the Safe Mode menu screen. Perhaps that
    can show what's happening.
    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

  3. Re: chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    Michael Cecil wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:13:01 -0800, John. wrote:
    >
    >> This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
    >> unspecified error occurred"?
    >>
    >> After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the
    >> prompt to run at startup which I say yes to.
    >>
    >> After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately
    >> the message: "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk
    >> terminates and xp pr sp2 loads.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?

    >> It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive.

    Thats likely significant because while chkdsk can just give
    up like that on some subtle NTFS problems, you're unlikely
    to have developed those on two different partitions.

    >> I can run chkdsk c: /p from the recovery console to
    >> do full scan for bad sectors, and both disks are fine.

    Odder and odder.

    >> I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
    >> immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
    >> return code problem.

    Except that the repair console is quite different to the installed XP.

    >> I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
    >> and everything seems ok otherwise.

    >> Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?

    I'd try and overnight memtest86 run, it could be that you have a
    minor memory problem thats only visible in the startup chkdsk run.

    Might be early bad caps on the motherboard too.

    Might even be a bad power supply, excessive
    ripple can produce the weirdest symptoms.

    >> There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
    >> so early.

    Yep.

    >> Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?

    > Perhaps you have something loading at boottime that is interfering
    > with the chkdsk process. What things are listed in the bootexecute
    > string in the registry at the following key?
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager

    Its unlikely to be that because that comes after the chkdsk run at startup.

    > You can enable boot logging from the Safe Mode menu screen.
    > Perhaps that can show what's happening.

    Ditto.

  4. Re: chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:56:07 -0600, Michael Cecil
    wrote:

    >Perhaps you have something loading at boottime that is interfering with
    >the chkdsk process. What things are listed in the bootexecute string in
    >the registry at the following key?
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
    >
    >You can enable boot logging from the Safe Mode menu screen. Perhaps that
    >can show what's happening.

    The BootExecute key shows the normal: autocheck autochk *

    I enabled boot log, but I think that is after the pre-windows chkdsk
    runs.

    Other that this annoyance, everything is working fine. I just have to
    use the Recovery Console to run chkdsk which is annoying.

    Any other ideas?

  5. Re: chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:34:09 +1100, "Rod Speed"
    wrote:

    >I'd try and overnight memtest86 run, it could be that you have a
    >minor memory problem thats only visible in the startup chkdsk run.

    I swapped my two 512mb memory cards and tried again. Same results.

    Of course I can still run chkdsk from the Recovery Console, but kind
    of inconvenient.

  6. Re: chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    John. wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> I'd try and overnight memtest86 run, it could be that you have a
    >> minor memory problem thats only visible in the startup chkdsk run.

    > I swapped my two 512mb memory cards and tried again. Same results.

    Thats not good enough, try an overnight run of memtest86+

    > Of course I can still run chkdsk from the Recovery Console, but kind of inconvenient.

    And thats running on PE, not XP.

  7. Re: chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:56:24 -0800, John. wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:56:07 -0600, Michael Cecil
    >wrote:
    >>
    >>Perhaps you have something loading at boottime that is interfering with
    >>the chkdsk process. What things are listed in the bootexecute string in
    >>the registry at the following key?
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
    >>
    >>You can enable boot logging from the Safe Mode menu screen. Perhaps that
    >>can show what's happening.

    >The BootExecute key shows the normal: autocheck autochk *
    >
    >I enabled boot log, but I think that is after the pre-windows chkdsk
    >runs.
    >
    >Other that this annoyance, everything is working fine. I just have to
    >use the Recovery Console to run chkdsk which is annoying.
    >
    >Any other ideas?

    Do you actually have the autochk.exe file in system32? No other ideas. I
    see some references where people have needed to format and restore their
    files from backup to fix the problem, but not a specific reason for the
    error.
    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/hackingvista/

  8. Re: chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:33:56 -0600, Michael Cecil
    wrote:

    >Do you actually have the autochk.exe file in system32? No other ideas. I
    >see some references where people have needed to format and restore their
    >files from backup to fix the problem, but not a specific reason for the
    >error.

    Yes, it's there. Your suggestion though has led me to review the
    security and permissions for the c: drive and folders. Some look a
    little strange, but so far no luck. It is almost like the autochk
    program is getting denied access to the drive or some other registry
    abnormality affecting this only. (I'm not planning to reformat just
    for this. Think I'll wait awhile for Vista if I'm going to redo
    everything.)

    Thanks for your ideas.

  9. Re: chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

    "John." a écrit dans le message de news:
    sgkrs29n4veusv6t9ppep285s8ei37u50l@4ax.com

    > This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
    > unspecified error occurred"?
    >
    > After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the prompt
    > to run at startup which I say yes to.
    >
    > After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately the
    > message: "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk terminates
    > and xp pr sp2 loads.
    >
    > Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?
    >
    > It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive. I can run chkdsk c:
    > /p from the recovery console to do full scan for bad sectors, and both
    > disks are fine.
    >
    > I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
    > immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
    > return code problem.
    >
    > I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
    > and everything seems ok otherwise.
    >
    > Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?
    > There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
    > so early.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?

    Apparently, the chkdsk exe on your hard drive is corrupt. With the recovery
    console, you use the one on the installation CD. The solution is to copy it
    again from the CD.

    Something like: expand E:\I386\chkdsk.ex_ C:\Windows\system32\chkdsk.exe

    --
    ~~~~ clmasse on free F-country
    Free technical support at : http://www.protonic.com/

+ Reply to Thread