Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that will hold 4-6 EIDE drives? - Storage

This is a discussion on Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that will hold 4-6 EIDE drives? - Storage ; I have several external drives which I've installed in individual cheapo external enclosures. Would like to consolidate them into a single casing as the cable/power supply hassles are getting to be a pain. The only multi drive cases I've seen ...

  1. Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that will hold 4-6 EIDE drives?

    I have several external drives which I've installed in individual
    cheapo external enclosures. Would like to consolidate them into a
    single casing as the cable/power supply hassles are getting to be a
    pain.

    The only multi drive cases I've seen however are RAID units which are
    so expensive that I could go cheaper by buying another PC, installing
    the four drives there and networking to my main box. But that would
    require me to make one of my storage drives bootable which I would
    prefer not to do.

    Is there a device out there that meets the spec I have in mind? 4-6
    IDE drives, single power supply and communication cable (USB/Firewire)
    coming out the back. price under (say) $300? Considering that I can
    get an external case for a single drive for less than $40, my price
    point should not be wildly optimistic.

  2. Re: Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that will hold 4-6 EIDE drives?

    Previously Doghouse Riley wrote:
    > I have several external drives which I've installed in individual
    > cheapo external enclosures. Would like to consolidate them into a
    > single casing as the cable/power supply hassles are getting to be a
    > pain.

    > The only multi drive cases I've seen however are RAID units which are
    > so expensive that I could go cheaper by buying another PC, installing
    > the four drives there and networking to my main box. But that would
    > require me to make one of my storage drives bootable which I would
    > prefer not to do.

    > Is there a device out there that meets the spec I have in mind? 4-6
    > IDE drives, single power supply and communication cable (USB/Firewire)
    > coming out the back. price under (say) $300? Considering that I can
    > get an external case for a single drive for less than $40, my price
    > point should not be wildly optimistic.

    And how should the drives be organized if not as RAID? Don't forget
    that in the dsigle drive case you have one cable per drive. Connecting
    several drives over one cable requires some kind of adding them together.
    Of course an internal USB hub would do the trick, but there seems to
    be no market for that.

    If you go the PC-case route, you could allways use a bootable Linux
    CD optimized for storage server applications. I think there
    are several now.

    Arno

  3. Re: Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that willhold 4-6 EIDE drives?

    Doghouse Riley wrote:

    >I have several external drives which I've installed in individual
    >cheapo external enclosures. Would like to consolidate them into a
    >single casing as the cable/power supply hassles are getting to be a
    >pain.
    >
    >The only multi drive cases I've seen however are RAID units which are
    >so expensive that I could go cheaper by buying another PC, installing
    >the four drives there and networking to my main box. But that would
    >require me to make one of my storage drives bootable which I would
    >prefer not to do.
    >
    >Is there a device out there that meets the spec I have in mind? 4-6
    >IDE drives, single power supply and communication cable (USB/Firewire)
    >coming out the back. price under (say) $300? Considering that I can
    >get an external case for a single drive for less than $40, my price
    >point should not be wildly optimistic.

    Take a look at:

    http://www.cooldrives.com/usb-extern...drives-4x.html

    There might be a 6 drive option somewhere on the site but this was the
    first one that seemed to fit your need.

    A little more searching found:

    http://www.cooldrives.com/8hadrusb20ra.html

    which is RAID or JBOD for 8 IDE drives for $260.

    Steve

  4. Re: Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that will hold 4-6 EIDE drives?

    Doghouse Riley wrote:
    > I have several external drives which I've installed in individual
    > cheapo external enclosures. Would like to consolidate them into a
    > single casing as the cable/power supply hassles are getting to be a
    > pain.
    >
    > The only multi drive cases I've seen however are RAID units which are
    > so expensive that I could go cheaper by buying another PC, installing
    > the four drives there and networking to my main box.

    You can get some which use the eSATA multiple drive over a single cable system.

    Not that cheap yet, but better than the external RAIDs.

    Likely that wont work for you tho because yours most likely arent SATA drives.

    > But that would require me to make one of my storage
    > drives bootable which I would prefer not to do.

    > Is there a device out there that meets the spec I have in mind?

    Yes, a minimal PC and put all those drives in that minimal PC on the lan.

    > 4-6 IDE drives, single power supply and communication cable
    > (USB/Firewire) coming out the back. price under (say) $300?

    You can do that easily with an obsolete PC.

    > Considering that I can get an external case for a single drive for
    > less than $40, my price point should not be wildly optimistic.

    You can do that with the eSATA boxes, but that obviously wont work for ATA/IDE drives.

  5. Re: Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that will hold 4-6 EIDE drives?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:533vraF1r2ia0U1@mid.individual.net
    > Doghouse Riley wrote:
    > > I have several external drives which I've installed in individual cheapo
    > > external enclosures. Would like to consolidate them into a single
    > > casing as the cable/power supply hassles are getting to be a pain.
    > >
    > > The only multi drive cases I've seen however are RAID units which are
    > > so expensive that I could go cheaper by buying another PC, installing
    > > the four drives there and networking to my main box.

    > You can get some which use the eSATA multiple drive over a single cable system.

    Really?

    > Not that cheap yet, but better than the external RAIDs.
    >
    > Likely that wont work for you tho because yours most likely arent SATA drives.
    >
    > > But that would require me to make one of my storage
    > > drives bootable which I would prefer not to do.

    > > Is there a device out there that meets the spec I have in mind?

    > Yes, a minimal PC and put all those drives in that minimal PC on the lan.
    >
    > > 4-6 IDE drives, single power supply and communication cable
    > > (USB/Firewire) coming out the back. price under (say) $300?

    > You can do that easily with an obsolete PC.
    >
    > > Considering that I can get an external case for a single drive for
    > > less than $40, my price point should not be wildly optimistic.

    > You can do that with the eSATA boxes, but that obviously wont work for ATA/IDE drives.

    No? Why not?

  6. Re: Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that will hold 4-6 EIDE drives?

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:533ii3F1qp7q6U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Doghouse Riley wrote:
    > > I have several external drives which I've installed in individual
    > > cheapo external enclosures. Would like to consolidate them into a
    > > single casing as the cable/power supply hassles are getting to be a
    > > pain.

    > > The only multi drive cases I've seen however are RAID units which are
    > > so expensive that I could go cheaper by buying another PC, installing
    > > the four drives there and networking to my main box. But that would
    > > require me to make one of my storage drives bootable which I would
    > > prefer not to do.

    > > Is there a device out there that meets the spec I have in mind? 4-6
    > > IDE drives, single power supply and communication cable (USB/Firewire)
    > > coming out the back. price under (say) $300? Considering that I can
    > > get an external case for a single drive for less than $40, my price
    > > point should not be wildly optimistic.

    > And how should the drives be organized if not as RAID? Don't forget
    > that in the dsigle drive case you have one cable per drive. Connecting
    > several drives over one cable requires some kind of adding them together.

    > Of course an internal USB hub would do the trick, but there seems to
    > be no market for that.

    No, babblebot?
    What exactly makes you think that, your usual cluelessness.

    > If you go the PC-case route, you could allways use a bootable Linux
    > CD optimized for storage server applications. I think there
    > are several now.
    >
    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread