Failing Epox machine...bagging Raid O...ghosting - Storage

This is a discussion on Failing Epox machine...bagging Raid O...ghosting - Storage ; Guys, The computer: Antec SLK3700BQE case P4 2.8 ghz 2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler Antec trupower 430 w psu Radeon 9600 Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 36 gig Raptors Raid 0 on Intel ICH5R controller ...

  1. Failing Epox machine...bagging Raid O...ghosting

    Guys,
    The computer:
    Antec SLK3700BQE case
    P4 2.8 ghz
    2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    Antec trupower 430 w psu
    Radeon 9600
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    36 gig Raptors Raid 0 on Intel ICH5R controller
    Maxtor slaves
    Win2K SP2 (SP3 and SP4 stink on this machine)

    The computer is dying. Spontaneous reboots, BSODs on boot, Lost
    settings, frequent loss of Santa Cruz control panel icon in system
    tray. Occasional failure to recognize Santa Cruz at all. Reboot
    almost always fixes the problem, but it may spontaneously reboot hours
    later.

    Stop errors in the Event log are all over the place.

    Mobo has bulging caps which I assume is the problem. Puter is useable
    with single channel ram but utterly unstable in dual channel config
    (default ram settings).

    Got a new 4PDA2+ and will have to rebuild. I would like to bag the
    Raid 0 array which I simply do not need (internet machine).

    The question is a whether a ghost (2003, DOS, bootable CDROM) image of
    the current Raid 0 array will transfer to a single drive, something
    like a Seagate SATA 320 gig? I'm thinking it will because it looks
    like Win2K and bios looks at the Raid 0 array like a single volume.
    I could be utterly wrong.

    I'm thinking of replacing the Antec supply with a more powerful
    Seasonic and going to a gig crucial ram as well, just to cover all the
    bases. May be over kill.
    Dave

    [Wasn't crazy about going with another EPox 4PDA2+, but want to retain
    current Win2k installation. Yes, I know, probably should have gone
    with a new Asus or MSI, etc. and do a fresh install]

  2. Re: Failing Epox machine...bagging Raid O...ghosting

    DaveH wrote:

    > The computer:
    > Antec SLK3700BQE case
    > P4 2.8 ghz
    > 2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    > Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    > Antec trupower 430 w psu
    > Radeon 9600
    > Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    > 36 gig Raptors Raid 0 on Intel ICH5R controller
    > Maxtor slaves
    > Win2K SP2 (SP3 and SP4 stink on this machine)

    > The computer is dying. Spontaneous reboots, BSODs on boot, Lost
    > settings, frequent loss of Santa Cruz control panel icon in system tray.
    > Occasional failure to recognize Santa Cruz at all. Reboot almost always
    > fixes the problem, but it may spontaneously reboot hours later.

    > Stop errors in the Event log are all over the place.

    > Mobo has bulging caps which I assume is the problem.

    Yep.

    > Puter is useable with single channel ram but utterly
    > unstable in dual channel config (default ram settings).

    > Got a new 4PDA2+ and will have to rebuild. I would like to bag
    > the Raid 0 array which I simply do not need (internet machine).

    > The question is a whether a ghost (2003, DOS, bootable CDROM)
    > image of the current Raid 0 array will transfer to a single drive,
    > something like a Seagate SATA 320 gig?

    Very likely not.

    > I'm thinking it will because it looks like Win2K and
    > bios looks at the Raid 0 array like a single volume.

    The problem is that it needs to look like a single volume FROM
    DOS for Ghost 2003 to be able to image it and thats very unlikely.

    > I could be utterly wrong.

    You could indeed, and it should be easy to try, if it cant see
    the drive from the booted CD, you'll soon see the problem.

    True Image and Ghost 9 and 10 should work fine tho if you
    image the drive at the 2k level where the raid 0 is a single drive.

    > I'm thinking of replacing the Antec supply with a more powerful Seasonic and
    > going to a gig crucial ram as well, just to cover all the bases. May be over kill.

    Yeah, its very unlikely to be other than the motherboard with those
    bulging caps and those symptoms. Very unlikey for an inadequate
    power supply to produce a reboot or those stop errors in the log
    and you can always change the power supply later if you need to.

    > [Wasn't crazy about going with another EPox 4PDA2+, but want
    > to retain current Win2k installation. Yes, I know, probably should
    > have gone with a new Asus or MSI, etc. and do a fresh install]

    If you had been using XP you could have done a
    repair install on a completely different motherboard.

  3. Re: Failing Epox machine...bagging Raid O...ghosting

    Previously DaveH wrote:
    > Guys,
    > The computer:
    > Antec SLK3700BQE case
    > P4 2.8 ghz
    > 2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    > Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    > Antec trupower 430 w psu
    > Radeon 9600
    > Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    > 36 gig Raptors Raid 0 on Intel ICH5R controller
    > Maxtor slaves
    > Win2K SP2 (SP3 and SP4 stink on this machine)

    > The computer is dying. Spontaneous reboots, BSODs on boot, Lost
    > settings, frequent loss of Santa Cruz control panel icon in system
    > tray. Occasional failure to recognize Santa Cruz at all. Reboot
    > almost always fixes the problem, but it may spontaneously reboot hours
    > later.

    > Stop errors in the Event log are all over the place.

    > Mobo has bulging caps which I assume is the problem.

    Very, very likely. Replacing them should fix the problem.

    > Puter is useable
    > with single channel ram but utterly unstable in dual channel config
    > (default ram settings).

    Abnd it will likely get worse. Also your CPU is at risk from
    unclean regulation.

    > Got a new 4PDA2+ and will have to rebuild. I would like to bag the
    > Raid 0 array which I simply do not need (internet machine).

    > The question is a whether a ghost (2003, DOS, bootable CDROM) image of
    > the current Raid 0 array will transfer to a single drive, something
    > like a Seagate SATA 320 gig? I'm thinking it will because it looks
    > like Win2K and bios looks at the Raid 0 array like a single volume.
    > I could be utterly wrong.

    You can also simply copy it over.

    > I'm thinking of replacing the Antec supply with a more powerful
    > Seasonic and going to a gig crucial ram as well, just to cover all the
    > bases. May be over kill.
    > Dave

    > [Wasn't crazy about going with another EPox 4PDA2+, but want to retain
    > current Win2k installation. Yes, I know, probably should have gone
    > with a new Asus or MSI, etc. and do a fresh install]

    At least the capacitor problem is solved in newer mainboards.

    Arno

  4. Re: Failing Epox machine...bagging Raid O...ghosting

    On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:53:59 +1100, "Rod Speed"
    wrote:

    >DaveH wrote:
    >
    >> The computer:
    >> Antec SLK3700BQE case
    >> P4 2.8 ghz
    >> 2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    >> Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    >> Antec trupower 430 w psu
    >> Radeon 9600
    >> Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    >> 36 gig Raptors Raid 0 on Intel ICH5R controller
    >> Maxtor slaves
    >> Win2K SP2 (SP3 and SP4 stink on this machine)

    >> The computer is dying. Spontaneous reboots, BSODs on boot, Lost
    >> settings, frequent loss of Santa Cruz control panel icon in system tray.
    >> Occasional failure to recognize Santa Cruz at all. Reboot almost always
    >> fixes the problem, but it may spontaneously reboot hours later.

    >> Stop errors in the Event log are all over the place.

    >> Mobo has bulging caps which I assume is the problem.

    >Yep.

    Yes---Logic and experience suggests bad caps as the most likely
    culprit. However, I have another 4PDA2+ with bulging caps that is
    perfectly stable. Its prob is wildly fluctuating CPU temp sensing, a
    prob which apparently has plagued this board and not necessarily cap
    related. Rather, dodgy sensor, tho I'm not sure really.

    >> Puter is useable with single channel ram but utterly
    >> unstable in dual channel config (default ram settings).

    >> Got a new 4PDA2+ and will have to rebuild. I would like to bag
    >> the Raid 0 array which I simply do not need (internet machine).

    >> The question is a whether a ghost (2003, DOS, bootable CDROM)
    >> image of the current Raid 0 array will transfer to a single drive,
    >> something like a Seagate SATA 320 gig?

    >Very likely not.
    >
    >> I'm thinking it will because it looks like Win2K and
    >> bios looks at the Raid 0 array like a single volume.

    >The problem is that it needs to look like a single volume FROM
    >DOS for Ghost 2003 to be able to image it and thats very unlikely.

    I've successfully produced a ghost image of this Win2k installation
    contained in the Raid 0 array many times, and then subsequently been
    able to use the gho files many times to rescue the machine from, for
    example, an impossible virus infection.

    Can I assume from this that it does indeed look like a single volume
    from DOS. That would be consistent with Arno's reply.

    Of course I can always try it and return to the original Raid 0 config
    if it doesn't work, or do fresh install, which I loathe, but it is
    frequently beneficial in the llong run.

    >> I could be utterly wrong.

    >You could indeed, and it should be easy to try, if it cant see
    >the drive from the booted CD, you'll soon see the problem.
    >
    >True Image and Ghost 9 and 10 should work fine tho if you
    >image the drive at the 2k level where the raid 0 is a single drive.
    >
    >> I'm thinking of replacing the Antec supply with a more powerful Seasonic and
    >> going to a gig crucial ram as well, just to cover all the bases. May be over kill.

    >Yeah, its very unlikely to be other than the motherboard with those
    >bulging caps and those symptoms. Very unlikey for an inadequate
    >power supply to produce a reboot or those stop errors in the log
    >and you can always change the power supply later if you need to.
    >
    >> [Wasn't crazy about going with another EPox 4PDA2+, but want
    >> to retain current Win2k installation. Yes, I know, probably should
    >> have gone with a new Asus or MSI, etc. and do a fresh install]

    >If you had been using XP you could have done a
    >repair install on a completely different motherboard.

  5. Re: Failing Epox machine...bagging Raid O...ghosting

    On 9 Feb 2007 11:51:28 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Previously DaveH wrote:
    >> Guys,
    >> The computer:
    >> Antec SLK3700BQE case
    >> P4 2.8 ghz
    >> 2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    >> Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    >> Antec trupower 430 w psu
    >> Radeon 9600
    >> Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    >> 36 gig Raptors Raid 0 on Intel ICH5R controller
    >> Maxtor slaves
    >> Win2K SP2 (SP3 and SP4 stink on this machine)

    >> The computer is dying. Spontaneous reboots, BSODs on boot, Lost
    >> settings, frequent loss of Santa Cruz control panel icon in system
    >> tray. Occasional failure to recognize Santa Cruz at all. Reboot
    >> almost always fixes the problem, but it may spontaneously reboot hours
    >> later.

    >> Stop errors in the Event log are all over the place.

    >> Mobo has bulging caps which I assume is the problem.

    >Very, very likely. Replacing them should fix the problem.
    >
    >> Puter is useable
    >> with single channel ram but utterly unstable in dual channel config
    >> (default ram settings).

    >Abnd it will likely get worse. Also your CPU is at risk from
    >unclean regulation.

    Mmmmm.....Did not consider this specifically, but have wondered about
    damage to other components as the board deteriorates. Guess I better
    replace the mobo sooner rather than later.

    It's that Zalman 7000Cu cooler and arctic silver critical operation
    that has me procrastinating. The 7000 is probably overkill for my
    needs. The P4 2.8 northwood runs around 35 F, maybe 45 F at 100% cpu
    usage (prime 95, etc.). Ambient = 72 F. Probably should bag the
    arctic silver. Too finicky, hard to clean, dubious value.

    >> Got a new 4PDA2+ and will have to rebuild. I would like to bag the
    >> Raid 0 array which I simply do not need (internet machine).

    >> The question is a whether a ghost (2003, DOS, bootable CDROM) image of
    >> the current Raid 0 array will transfer to a single drive, something
    >> like a Seagate SATA 320 gig? I'm thinking it will because it looks
    >> like Win2K and bios looks at the Raid 0 array like a single volume.
    >> I could be utterly wrong.

    >You can also simply copy it over.

    Good...hope your right.

    I've been out of the loop since about '03. Looks like Seagate sata
    drives are popular. I know Rod likes, or liked Samsung. I did have a
    Samsung fail, which means nothing of course. A single failure is
    anecdotal and not statistically meaningful, to say the least.

    >> I'm thinking of replacing the Antec supply with a more powerful
    >> Seasonic and going to a gig crucial ram as well, just to cover all the
    >> bases. May be over kill.
    >> Dave

    >> [Wasn't crazy about going with another EPox 4PDA2+, but want to retain
    >> current Win2k installation. Yes, I know, probably should have gone
    >> with a new Asus or MSI, etc. and do a fresh install]

    >At least the capacitor problem is solved in newer mainboards.

    That is their claim. They look different, not sure of the brand. But
    the 4PDA2+ is just overkill for my needs. It has enough sata and pata
    ports to hook up a 100 drives. Well, not quite a 100, but lots.

    >Arno

+ Reply to Thread