change raid5 to raid1 / backup&restore partition / Arconis? - Storage

This is a discussion on change raid5 to raid1 / backup&restore partition / Arconis? - Storage ; Hi NG, i have to do the following: There is a Raid5 partition (NTFS) which needs to be backed up. I want to use the Acronis TrueImage Server for this job. After backing up the partition i have to add ...

  1. change raid5 to raid1 / backup&restore partition / Arconis?

    Hi NG,

    i have to do the following:

    There is a Raid5 partition (NTFS) which needs to be backed up. I want
    to use the Acronis TrueImage Server for this job.

    After backing up the partition i have to add some disks and change the
    RAID level from 5 to 1. After doing this the backed up partion has to
    be restored on the new RAID1.

    Backround: The database partition is running on a RAID5 ... (don't
    ask!)

    Here my questions:
    - Are there any known problems in doing as described?
    - Is Acronis True Image Server a good solution? Are there other tool
    for that job?
    - Has anybody expierience in changing the RAID level without
    reinstalling the whole system

    Thanks!
    Peter

  2. Re: change raid5 to raid1 / backup&restore partition / Arconis?

    Previously pschulz@langen.de wrote:
    > Hi NG,

    > i have to do the following:

    > There is a Raid5 partition (NTFS) which needs to be backed up. I want
    > to use the Acronis TrueImage Server for this job.

    > After backing up the partition i have to add some disks and change the
    > RAID level from 5 to 1. After doing this the backed up partion has to
    > be restored on the new RAID1.

    > Backround: The database partition is running on a RAID5 ... (don't
    > ask!)

    > Here my questions:
    > - Are there any known problems in doing as described?

    Looks reasonable to me.

    > - Is Acronis True Image Server a good solution? Are there other tool
    > for that job?

    Why not using whatever the database offers to dump and restore?
    Also, if the database offers its own filesystem, this could
    be the opportunity to switch.

    > - Has anybody expierience in changing the RAID level without
    > reinstalling the whole system

    Yes. But only on Linux. Still, it basically should behave as
    removing a disk and then adding another does.

    I would also make that database-dump in case restoring the
    filesystem does not work or causes problems. Then you can
    reinstall the database, but have the data already on hand.
    It could be difficult to get at otherwise....

    Arno

  3. Re: change raid5 to raid1 / backup&restore partition / Arconis?

    pschulz@langen.de wrote

    > i have to do the following:

    > There is a Raid5 partition (NTFS) which needs to be backed up.
    > I want to use the Acronis TrueImage Server for this job.

    > After backing up the partition i have to add some disks
    > and change the RAID level from 5 to 1. After doing this
    > the backed up partion has to be restored on the new RAID1.

    > Backround: The database partition is running on a RAID5 ... (don't ask!)

    > Here my questions:
    > - Are there any known problems in doing as described?

    Nope.

    > - Is Acronis True Image Server a good solution?

    Yep.

    > Are there other tool for that job?

    Yep, but I'd use TI anyway because its better for backup later etc.

    > - Has anybody expierience in changing the RAID
    > level without reinstalling the whole system

    Yep, it should work fine if you create the image at the Win level.

+ Reply to Thread